Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I am very close to ordering a PFS stage 1(in every thing goes ok) for my auto 02. I am selling my srt intake and a few other things so I should have around 800 extra. Should I use this for gauges(which ones, I like the blitz BL) or an PFS Exhaust or a valve body. I do plan on upgrading to a stage 2 in the future.
What do you guys think?
Any suggestions or comments are welcome.
Also what does the PFS exchaust sound like?
Thanks
PB ::
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,498 Posts
after reading about a mishap with a blown engine...i would suggest gauges so you can monitor your shizzle...not to say that gauges would have helped this guy out but it might have given him sort of inidcation to get it checked before it went kaboom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
get a wideband and a valve body upgrade my friend, even it it means saving a few hundred for this, it will pay off in the long run starting from day 1 my friend! :D


-good luck
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
1,717 Posts
lilaznboi said:
valvebody upgrade...w/out a doubt...because you'll need it for Stage II as well. you can live without gauges w/ Peter's basemaps.
guess I was looking at it from a stand point that if something started to fail you would have some warning.

does not matter who the tuner is if you have a bad plug or injector. but defenatly a valvebody up-grade who wants a car that can't shift :wink:
 

·
Not Officially Back
Joined
·
12,205 Posts
lilaznboi said:
valvebody upgrade...w/out a doubt...because you'll need it for Stage II as well. you can live without gauges w/ Peter's basemaps.
Watch out with that valve body upgrade... no need to rip your tranny apart. Just because it shifts under high power doesn't mean its good for the tranny. :shame:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
dont get the valve body upgrade. save money for wideband 02 sensor, trans/oil cooler, and the right gauges
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,239 Posts
dasgalloway said:
lilaznboi said:
valvebody upgrade...w/out a doubt...because you'll need it for Stage II as well. you can live without gauges w/ Peter's basemaps.
Watch out with that valve body upgrade... no need to rip your tranny apart. Just because it shifts under high power doesn't mean its good for the tranny. :shame:
or u can drive a car that won't shift :roll: i don't see your logic here. it's obviously not good for the tranny...but no shift kits are actually good for the tranny and prolong it's life. the more load you put on the tranny...they shorter the life span. even under normal power and a stock valve body...it'll be like that.

Kanine's car has been perfectly fine since the valve body upgrades...cold and hot...he drives his car to the ground...as have I. we don't treat that car too lightly.

Benign: while the wideband and the right gauges will help you tune the car...what's the point of getting the most power out of your car if u can't get out of the gears? Tranny/oil cooler aren't necessary for a Stage I either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
lilaznboi said:
or u can drive a car that won't shift :roll: i don't see your logic here. it's obviously not good for the tranny...but no shift kits are actually good for the tranny and prolong it's life. the more load you put on the tranny...they shorter the life span. even under normal power and a stock valve body...it'll be like that.

Kanine's car has been perfectly fine since the valve body upgrades...cold and hot...he drives his car to the ground...as have I. we don't treat that car too lightly.

Benign: while the wideband and the right gauges will help you tune the car...what's the point of getting the most power out of your car if u can't get out of the gears? Tranny/oil cooler aren't necessary for a Stage I either.
read dasgalloway's explanation on why valve body upgrade can be harmful. my car shift perfectly without the valve body upgrade, in fact, it shifts even better compared to those that use the valve body upgrade

it is not necessary to change both the trans and engine oil for every 3000 miles, nor does the trans/oil cooler, but by doing that, i can safely say that i might be the first to own a stage 1 kit for over 6000 miles without a single problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,239 Posts
Benign: if that is true...why would Peter offer a valve body upgrade? I know Kane's car shifts a lot harder and quicker than when he wasn't boosted. He wasn't never boosted w/out a valve body upgrade so I can't really compare. But I have been in a PLP Vortech car...the car pulls hard but it won't shift...and power levels are pretty similar.

What's your secret? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
769 Posts
lilaznboi said:
Benign: if that is true...why would Peter offer a valve body upgrade? I know Kane's car shifts a lot harder and quicker than when he wasn't boosted. He wasn't never boosted w/out a valve body upgrade so I can't really compare. But I have been in a PLP Vortech car...the car pulls hard but it won't shift...and power levels are pretty similar.

What's your secret? :)
Your shift quality is going to be based largely on power. The stock tranny may be able to hold as much as he is pushing(how much are you pushing benign?). It's when you start going higher, like kane did, that you need to worry about building up the tranny. The valve body will allow you to shift stronger, but other parts of the tranny will need to be upgraded to support the stronger shifting. Fixing one problem, like many things in life, can cause others to appear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
liaznboi, no secret, other than having a great tuner, i believe darkstorm has already answered your question :)

btw, peter doesnt recommend valvebody upgrade for stage 1 owners

valvebody makes your car shift harder, hence the feeling of being quicker off the line, but that doesnt make your car realistically faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,239 Posts
yea darkstorm did answer my question... :)

but i really think a valve body is better than running stock...even on low power and boost like around 7psi. someone w/ a vortech raced kane who has a PFS stage I, the difference was that kane's car could shift...where as the vortech could not. and thats why kane ended out in front.

but i completely agree w/ darkstorm's comment that once u upgrade the valve body...other things will have to be upgraded too. it's the combination of upgrades that makes things work. the Tec3 is able to mess around w/ how the car shifts as well.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top