Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like title states, there's a sale for the GC 0W30 at Canadian Tire for $6.99/L.

Castrol Syntec Motor Oil | Canadian Tire

You can try PM'ing at Partsource but I called the one on Steeles and they said they don't carry it so YMMV.
If you can get them to PM CT, you can use this coupon too for $10 off - making your grand total like $30something for 6L.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Its German?

really?

as opposed to what?

how do u know its German?

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
i only ask because as far as I am aware not necessary ALL Castrol Syntec 0W30's are GC (German Castrol).

Here's a quick exerpt about distinguishing the difference between US Castrol Syntec 0W30 and GC (German Castrol) Syntec 0W30:

FAQ - GC ( German Castrol ) - Bob Is The Oil Guy

How can I tell the difference?
First, I'll teach you how to read the date codes.

Look at the bottom of the bottle, it'll say something like M05216xxxx

The 05 represents the year it was made. (2005 in this case)
The 216 represents the day it was made. (001 - 365)
U.S.

No need to look at the date code, it'll say "Made in the U.S.A." on the back.
It was last made in 2002, but many AutoZones still have some lying around.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
You guys make me laugh sometimes.

All Syntec 0W30 is made in Germany and imported into Canada.
There is no US/ CDN spec product. It all comes from the same place.
The only difference is on the label that states "Imported into Canada by" makings.

Every box also states "European Formula".

Parts Source/ CTC has once again duped you all!

LOL

BTW if your worried about the age, just ensure current API rating SL or SM (depends on weight and lisence agreements) is on the ILLSAC donut.

Digger08

·
Registered
469 Posts
do any of the IS's take the 0W30 grade?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys make me laugh sometimes.

All Syntec 0W30 is made in Germany and imported into Canada.
There is no US/ CDN spec product. It all comes from the same place.
The only difference is on the label that states "Imported into Canada by" makings.

Every box also states "European Formula".

Parts Source/ CTC has once again duped you all!

LOL

BTW if your worried about the age, just ensure current API rating SL or SM (depends on weight and lisence agreements) is on the ILLSAC donut.

Digger08
Actually most of them say Made in USA, including the 5W30, 10W30 etc..

The Made in Germany ones are usually the 0W ones with red labels. I have 0W30, 5W30, 10W30 in my garage right now.. all Castrol Syntec, but only the 0W30 ones are "made in germany" the other two are "made in USA"

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Actually most of them say Made in USA, including the 5W30, 10W30 etc..

The Made in Germany ones are usually the 0W ones with red labels. I have 0W30, 5W30, 10W30 in my garage right now.. all Castrol Syntec, but only the 0W30 ones are "made in germany" the other two are "made in USA"

....and being Canada's largest customer of Castrol products, I walked into my warehouse and read the bottle from a giant skid of cases......

Lets me rephrase this: All 0W30 imported for sale in Canada, through Wakefield Canada, has the Bottles marked "Imported into Canada" and Made in Germany.

If your bottle is different then your product source is different....if your buying this at CTC, then it will state the same as my bottle

Digger08

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.