Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have been reading a lot of the post here, and this is a great forum. I see everyone talking about intake, afc and exhaust but I can not seem to find any info on changing the gear ratio of the car. I just recently purchased the SRT intake w/ecu and am planning on getting the blitz exhaust, however, I do not think that will be enough to take the BMW 330 simply because of gearing. The cars are basically the same when in come to HP, I believe the BMW has 10 more HP Stock. Now I am fairly new to all this but from what read the BMW has the following specs from their website:

Drag coefficient 0.31
Top speed1 mph 128
Acceleration 0-60 mph 6.4

Where the IS300 has:
0 to 60 in 7.3 seconds
Top track speed: 143.7
Aerodynamic drag coefficient: 0.29

Curb weight is Equal: 3285lbs

Now, I don't expect to get the car to its top speed often, expecially, light to light, so I was wondering, has any played with the gearing of their car? My pop said that is what they used to do back in the old day. Any suggestions?

Kai
2002 IS300 e-SHIFT
SRT INTAKE W/ECU
NO Exhaust mod yet

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
as your pop said, the old days.

its pretty much a waste of money to try and swap out gearing. the only thing you could possibly do, is put the auto 3.91 into your manual, 3.73, and thats if you even have a manual - you did not mention it.

you are much better off getting something that adds power, say forced induction, or the toyo headers or whatever, with toyo headers, air filter, and exhaust, you should wax that 330 if you can drive decent.

-gte

Hey all,

I have been reading a lot of the post here, and this is a great forum. I see everyone talking about intake, afc and exhaust but I can not seem to find any info on changing the gear ratio of the car. I just recently purchased the SRT intake w/ecu and am planning on getting the blitz exhaust, however, I do not think that will be enough to take the BMW 330 simply because of gearing. The cars are basically the same when in come to HP, I believe the BMW has 10 more HP Stock. Now I am fairly new to all this but from what read the BMW has the following specs from their website:

Drag coefficient 0.31
Top speed1 mph 128
Acceleration 0-60 mph 6.4

Where the IS300 has:
0 to 60 in 7.3 seconds
Top track speed: 143.7
Aerodynamic drag coefficient: 0.29

Curb weight is Equal: 3285lbs

Now, I don't expect to get the car to its top speed often, expecially, light to light, so I was wondering, has any played with the gearing of their car? My pop said that is what they used to do back in the old day. Any suggestions?

Kai

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update what I actually have, under the signature.

The intake and exhaust are easy. What do you think the difficulty level is for the header, and if it is to difficult to install from a home garage, what should I expect to pay to have it installed. I see the header is about $450.

Should I also expect a cel with a header or will the srt race ecu take care of this?

Thanks,

kai
2002 IS300 e-SHIFT
SRT INTAKE W/ECU
NO Exhaust mod yet

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If you do the math, the IS300 puts more torque down in every gear than the 330i.

Stock.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I can pull a 330! with Remus exhaust. Did it this morning on my way to work. A good friend of mine. He has a 5 speed i have an auto. From 30mph to 120mph, I pulled him by 2 cars or so. We ran about 6 or 7 times. Out of the hole, he'll pull out about a car and a half and I real him in for a side by side run but just don't have the power to pull him.

www.tmrmzine.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TMR The guy that owns the BMW is a friend of mine as well, both are auto. The bmw is actually a 330ci. He kills me off the line. I have not had the oppurtunity to go faster than 70mph against him, so I never catch him. Man, he give me a lot of shit. Just wanted to do something to kick his ass off the line.

Quick, then why I am getting beat? Could not find the gear ratios for the is300 e-shift (didn't really look that much). It would be nice if you could post them, so I can check your math.

The header seems like a nice place to find some hp, but I am concerened about the difficulty and the warranty. Any input here?

Damn, I ask alot questions....Thanks for the input everyone. looking forward to more posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I would think with a header through to exhaust cat-back and some kind of air induction you could take a 330i. But why wouldnt you just turbocharge the bitch! :wink:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
kai51 said:
Quick, then why I am getting beat? Could not find the gear ratios for the is300 e-shift (didn't really look that much). It would be nice if you could post them, so I can check your math.
D'oh! I'm a dumbass.

I always think in terms of the manual, since that's what I own. So I take it back and change it to "in a manual IS300"
I'm not sure abou the auto ratios.

Sorry about that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Update:

I added the Blitz Nur-Spec...What a difference that made. I am definately able to pull with him now, but we have not actually done a balls to wall shot yet.

I was thinking about adding the Tom's Radiator Cap and Thermostat, do you think that will do anything for me or is it just for looks. I do live in FL, so I will take anything I can get to keep the car cooler.

I also order the JIC Magic strut. I read about the good and the bad, but I was concerned when I had the car up to about 120mph it felt real loose on me, and I wanted to do something easy to stiffen it up a bit.

Kai.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Re: Update

kai51 said:
Update:

I added the Blitz Nur-Spec...What a difference that made. I am definately able to pull with him now, but we have not actually done a balls to wall shot yet.

I was thinking about adding the Tom's Radiator Cap and Thermostat, do you think that will do anything for me or is it just for looks. I do live in FL, so I will take anything I can get to keep the car cooler.

I also order the JIC Magic strut. I read about the good and the bad, but I was concerned when I had the car up to about 120mph it felt real loose on me, and I wanted to do something easy to stiffen it up a bit.

Kai.
Radcap and thermostat does little contribution in powerwise.
it'll help to keep the radiator temperature down under extreme hard driving(tracks and maybe autocross).

since you're interested in power, make you car breathe better.
go for things like free-flowing filter, better yet, an intake.
header, racepipe, b-pipe, etc are also good.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i beat a 330ci at a the best buy awards we did an event for.

i have an e-shift 2002MSM

we did 3 runs and i smoked him each time...it was a good close race so not 'smoked' per se but it was nice to know i spent a lot less for more car (and nicer interior by far)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
itmstgofast
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing