Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this might sound stupid, but alot of people have been doing this to the mkiii supras, making there 7m-ge's to gte's, or as it is more comonly called, the N/A-T conversion, well is this posible on our cars, couldnt we just buy the pistons and shiot and the turbos and all the stuff that is different and put it on the GE, and instead of getting a supra TT ECU for a hellish price, why not buy a stand alone ecu

Thanx

·
Registered
608 Posts
there are many ppl that have put TT internals into there GE block. but u can install a turbo kit made for the GTE on the GE becuz the bolts for the exhaust and intake manifold are different. unless u want to make $400hp+ ur stock internals should be ok.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am getting a used gte head with intake and exhaust manifolds and a set of gte rods and pistons (after market) for my ge block.

I will be using a Motec m48

To date I have seen no reason why it will not work. The only item that seems to be tight on the fit (word of mouth) is the intake manifold. If it doesn't fit I'll just chop an inch or so off of the runners. No big deal.

Seems like the most economical way to go.

aaron

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Economical in what way?

aaronyoung said:
I am getting a used gte head with intake and exhaust manifolds and a set of gte rods and pistons (after market) for my ge block.

To date I have seen no reason why it will not work. The only item that seems to be tight on the fit (word of mouth) is the intake manifold. If it doesn't fit I'll just chop an inch or so off of the runners. No big deal.

aaron

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
aaronyoung said:

aaron
aaron who is doing your kit? The reason I ask is that you cannot just buy Motec over the counter since Motec will only sell through authorized dealers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sentinel said:
Economical in what way?
I can get a used head with manifolds for about 700 or <.
The pistons and rods cost @$1000.00 and machine work cost about $1200.00 (including valve job). For $2900 I get a brand new engine with much stronger (and lighter) internals than any factory gte.

If one wanted to go cheaper, new 2jzgte pistons are about 120 ea from the dealer (list) nothing else is needed except the head and some gaskets. Then your talking 1400.

Of course neither is economical if you are paying labor charges. It is nice to be able to do your own work.

I don't use factory ecus on race cars. The wiring headaches and black box mods are for the birds. Been there and did that.
I need to know what is happening with my engine. You have no way of knowing what the factory ecu is doing or why it is doing it. Standalones take all the guess work out of it.

Please try and remember my values might seem a little off beat to some.
My car is a race car. It is not a week end warrior, or a daily driver. It never gets less than 110octane fuel and the oil gets changed after every time I take it out. It might see 3000 miles a year.

different strokes for different folks,
aaron

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Wxman said:
aaronyoung said:
Wxman said:
aaronyoung said:
I am buying the ecu from NZ. I have a friend that lives there.
i can get 24hour e-mail support for free.
Are you trying to tune the Motec yourself?
yes i can tune it
Do you have basemaps? Good luck if you do. I have never really heard of someone doing a DIY with a Motec unit.
Marc, this guy got a gutted 2001 IS for $8k at a junkyard in NY....

are you from NY/NJ area Aaronyoung? if so, I can give you info on where you might want to bring your car to have the Motec tuned, BULLISH RACING...hands down the best tuner's in the country..... 8)

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
Wxman said:
aaronyoung said:
Wxman said:
aaronyoung said:
yes i can tune it
Do you have basemaps? Good luck if you do. I have never really heard of someone doing a DIY with a Motec unit.

are you from NY/NJ area Aaronyoung? if so, I can give you info on where you might want to bring your car to have the Motec tuned, BULLISH RACING...hands down the best tuner's in the country..... 8)
I didn't know that. Best ??? When it comes to best, there are a few best and preference seems to define best for each individual.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Wxman said:
tsopranoMB said:
Wxman said:
aaronyoung said:
Wxman said:
aaronyoung said:
yes i can tune it

I didn't know that. Best ??? When it comes to best, there are a few best and preference seems to define best for each individual.
yes, BULLISH RACING and George Iannou are the best tuner's in the racing business....its a FACT that most of the NHRA Supra's go to them for tuning

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
Wxman said:
tsopranoMB said:
Wxman said:
aaronyoung said:
Wxman said:
aaronyoung said:
yes i can tune it

yes, BULLISH RACING and George Iannou are the best tuner's in the racing business....its a FACT that most of the NHRA Supra's go to them for tuning
Hmmm. I thought the Titan Supra was the fastest racing Supra around. PHR has the worlds fastest street legal unibody Supra (No Nos). The pulled 8's on a car running 28 or 29 psi. The car can run 43 psi I believe. Trust me, this is debatable.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
the 7m uses the same head, both the intake and exhaust ports are the same, the intake cams are the same (exhausts are slightly different in specs, but same in dimensions)
you can even swap the cps in place of the GE's distributor. there are minor differences in the intake manifolds, throttle linkage and valve coveres, but all of that can be changed ... you can't change the exhaust port spacing of the 2jzgte head, to match the 2jzge head, and vice versa

you can however swap rods and pistons, the cranks are the same

-gte

ISracer300 said:
this might sound stupid, but alot of people have been doing this to the mkiii supras, making there 7m-ge's to gte's, or as it is more comonly called, the N/A-T conversion, well is this posible on our cars, couldnt we just buy the pistons and shiot and the turbos and all the stuff that is different and put it on the GE, and instead of getting a supra TT ECU for a hellish price, why not buy a stand alone ecu

Thanx

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Wxman said:
Hmmm. I thought the Titan Supra was the fastest racing Supra around. PHR has the worlds fastest street legal unibody Supra (No Nos). The pulled 8's on a car running 28 or 29 psi. The car can run 43 psi I believe. Trust me, this is debatable.
(sorry for the threadjacking)

of course this is debatable, but your info is no longer up to date...

the worlds fastest street legal supra in competition is Paul Efantis

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
Wxman said:
(sorry for the threadjacking)

of course this is debatable, but your info is no longer up to date...

the worlds fastest street legal supra is Paul Efantis

Is that a stock unibody with no nitrous?

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
paul efantis' has went 8.1x or so in his "street legal supra" and that ran on gasoline, not alcohol. not to take away from what PHR has done, but going faster, on gasoline is more impressive to me. the no nitrous thing doesn't hold too much weight for me, if they would use nitrous for spool (like paul does) they wouldn't have gotten beaten by titan so many times, as they wouldn't have been able to play any staging games, and PHR wouldn't have to worry about overheating the converter in the trasn

oh yeah, bullish tuned/supported/sponsored pauls car (however you want to word it), as george is his Godfather. i'd have to say they are one of the few people that have more supra experience than PHR

-gte

Wxman said:
tsopranoMB said:
Wxman said:
tsopranoMB said:
Wxman said:
aaronyoung said:
Wxman said:
aaronyoung said:
yes i can tune it

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Wxman said:
Is that a stock unibody with no nitrous?

its a stock unibody...of course its with nitrous, even the titan car uses nitrous in competition...and Paul has beaten Mark Mazurowski (titan) during competition...saw them go at it a few times last spring/summer/fall...

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.