Lexus IS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
awesome build man. I'm amazed at how much you know about cars to be able to do this!!

p.s. I think welding the driving wheel shaft isn't completely safe. if im not mistaken thats what killed Ayrton Senna the F1 driver. :jawDrop:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
ok after much debate i decided how to mod my strutbar. If you have ever seen a stock starlet bar your only comment is "well, it's better than nothing" It is pretty flimsy and flexy. So i decided to beef it up a bit. I added a 3/4" square tube on the bottom and tied it in all the way to the mounts, added another shock bolt mount and cross braced it.

Overall it came out pretty good. Needs some paint and it might look like something.

I was going to box the added mount in but i think its so low that there probably isnt much point

here you can se 2 of the pidlly welds that hold the mounts to the tube highlighted in yellow.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Been getting some work done finally.

Ended up getting now ES bushings to replace the incorrect bushings for the sways. Was also short a couple of 10mm COARSE thread nuts. They dont grow on trees, but because i dont throw anything away I had 2 laying around for some reason.

Also mounted the IC

The in and out are a little too long, but because there are 2 beads, on the regular one and one to tell you where the coupling should stop, I cut it down and it left me with one bead..perfect.

pretty "simple" mounting that took me forever to decide how to put together because the IC actually tilts back to allow the inlet to face in the correct direction. Ill be building a duct for it to keep air from bouncing off. Also will be reinforcing the side mounts somehow.

The hotpipe took an insane amount of time to get right. I first shifted the Rad to make even space on both sides to make the pipin short. Then modded the stock turbo outlet 2 times...scrated my head a bit and then realised I had to make it with pie slices. The turns are too tight for anything else.It cane out pretty good though and is mad short.

Just had to slice and bend a bit of the headlight shroud thingy to clear with space.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Okey Dokey, update time. For he past couple of months i have not been doing a lot at a time so here its whats been done

Finished the IC piping cold side. What a pain in the butt. Using a turbo XS type s blowoff like i had in my old starlet. The wife likes the PSSHT!

Painted and installed a rear hatch with glass in it. Couldn't fight to put in Lexan badly.

Made a couple of brake line braces like i did on the tez only out of lexan

Made some side windows out of Lexan. Another thing that is a pain firt go. Second one is very quick cause i know wat to do.

Then took them out and painted the frames black

Ill install them permanent like this weekend after the paint has cured well

Finally installed my water lines. 4AN push lock to a brass fitting to step up to a 3/8 hose.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Exhaust pipe. Alumnised steel. I can't weld aluminum and I have to be able to do it all myself. It will be sandblasted and painted
Understandable. Any reason why you couldn't have used a series of couplers and aluminum piping as opposed to welding that piece? I feel like you could have found some couplers with an appropriate bend to fit there.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
that bend has about 10mm clearance on each side. I really doubt anything would have fit as well. Also i HATE seeing a ton of couplings. more chance for leaks. It will look good once painted.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
UPDATES

Got everything painted. They are almost all the same colour. sheesh. whatever.

Gutted the doors. Still need to edge gaurd the edges

I also got sick of waiting for the front swaybar to come in so i put on the stock one. between the rear sway and the springrates the car should be pretty tail happy. But maybe that will be fine.

Rolled it outside

Whats that in the front bumper? This is what happens when you put your exhaust on and it activley rubs the cv boot. "Honey the car just got louder" "whatever dear"

Exhaust is 2" all the way with a stainless tip. Dont think since its so short and the HP is so low that it will mater.

Front fender looks pretty cool

Yeah looks like some positive camber there but nothing has been set.

A look at the angles of the front sus as is. Looks to be about stock height. Will lower it about an inch i think and loosen the the spindle bolts and push it to max camber to see where it goes.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Ok so i took last week thursday and friday off to blitz the car and get it ready for sundays race. After a lot of sweat and tears and almost no blood I got it ready. Just.

Had a generic harns bar for an i dunno what. So I narrowed it and shortened the poles. It came out pertty decent.

Had to make an intake that went from 2" to 3". So i went to the exhaust shop and had him expand one side of a 2.5" up to 3" and squeeze the other side down to 2". You get a pretty decent transition on the squeeze downs. Then chopped it up to make this beauty.

Made a battery tie down for my MAT type battery and ran the cable inside. The store only had black..oh well.

Then I lowered the front about 3/4" at the shock. That made the arm about level and the axle and tie rod point up a bit. Something i will look into at a later time.

Then i whipped everything that mattered on and drove it a mile down the road to get an alignment done. Since its a beam rear end they only had to do the front so I helped the guy do it and he spent some real time making sure it was where i wanted it.

In the end i got these settings. the camber is maxed out and .06 degrees is about 1/16 toe out.

The morning of the race i was still bolting in belts to the stock seat and hetting the hood and the bumper on. I didint get the lights in but that was the least of my worries. The brakes had never ever been bed in and i had no idea what to set the proportioning valve to.

So I bed them in a little on the way to the race and set the valve as close as I could. I was second sesion and my buddy in the worked STi on toyo R888s went out in the first session so i knew what the time to beat was. Luckily the course was very tight that he had to shift down into 1st 3 times so I figured i had a bit of an advantage.

I finally got to go out and get a run in. I wasnt pushing it too hard as i was trying to feel it out and the power delivery and brakes etc etc. Im so used to the Stoptechs on the Tez that these single piston sliders felt like sponges, but were doing a decent job of slowing the car. and the hand brake works really well too :)

First run off i was about a second and a half off pace. The second run i mis shifted 2x because pulling into 2nd was hitting the handbrake handle so i shortened it for the 3rd run. Which is where i remembered how to drive FWD and beat the STi by over a second, on street tires. My work here is done.

Overall impressions:

Need to bed in the brakes PROPERLY

Have to flush and clean the cooling system and RAD. Coolant temps were 191 at idle and as high as 205 cruising with 2 (shitty ebay(free)) fans on constantly.

Turn on the boost controller. The port job I did on the turbo really worked well and so with the controller off it takes forever to spool since its dumping gasses QUICK.

If it dont rain this weekend the wife might even get to drive it a bit.

More pics and hopefully vids as they come.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
So i flushed and cleaned out all the gunk in the cooling system and put in about a 25/75 coolant water mix and the car sitts on the tstat now and the temps drop quick if i let them get up there. So pretty happy about that.

BUT the turbo started smoking once the oil temps got to a certain point it seems. Its not the rings because the catch can is spotless and its not valve seals. So like i thought before, the turbine side is done. I will have to rebuild it soon ish.CRAP

I have been hiding this monstrosity. I decided to make a reverse vent hood since non are easily available. I flipped the hump in the middle and made a shroud to cover the hole. What i learned is i pretty much suck at this sorta thing. But i think it is probably functional enough.

and the underside. This might be more effective if it flare out to the radiator more. I dunno.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Got it on the scales today to see what the weights are at. The cross weights are off pretty bad and i still need to add the second seat but its promissing. I wish i could have found a good CF Bonnet for it. Oh well.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
Question regarding the IC.

Would it have been better to have kept the IC flat front facing as opposed to angling it?

I know the intake tube needed to match, but it seems that you could have prevented having to build a shroud to redirect the air back and just fabbed the intake tube itself to the correct angle?

Maybe I'm missing something or maybe you considered that but decided against it for another reason.

Just curious. Thanks for all the posts, they are always enjoyable to read.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
The angle of the IC was done to angle the Hotwire piPe back. It would have hit the bumper support if it was straight up. Also I was able to put less angle in the pipe with it tilted back. I am going to make a shroud for it to the bumper to force the air through it but didn't have the time score the race. It's hard to see how little room there is to play with but it's tight.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
got a minor vid of me running the car

Starlet Autocross fly by - YouTube

and a couple pics of me n the wife driving. She did ok. Needs a ton more practice to get up to speed and really use the car.

Pretty happy to give the car over to the wife now. It was cooling pretty good but the turbo needs to be replaced. Ill work on that after the end of the month. I also got a TRD t-stat to make it cool a little bit better still.

Still working on the light/grill situation. Hope to have that sorted for end of month cuz its ugly and unfinished.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts