Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy all, i've had my car for a week now and have 486 miles today. thing is that i finally gave into the temptation of driving the IS hard. was driving it hard (stomping on gas...accelerating fast) going to hurt my engine or break in? i even heard from my friend carlo that it was good to drive it hard to burn the glaze off the cylinders. should i worry about this? how many of you guys gave into the "temptation" or "call" of your car?
-ben
ps- this car rocks :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I somehow managed to resist temptation for the first 1500 miles. I have a manual '03 and kept it under 3500 rpm until then. I can say now that I have given into the darkside because 11k into it now and I drive her like a beast and she treats me well. I think you'll be okay if you give in a little bit here and there but I think overall you should try to take it as easy as possible for as long as possibe. Take care of her and she'll take care of you :D

·
Vendor
4,596 Posts
chicksdigtheIS said:
howdy all, i've had my car for a week now and have 486 miles today. thing is that i finally gave into the temptation of driving the IS hard. was driving it hard (stomping on gas...accelerating fast) going to hurt my engine or break in? i even heard from my friend carlo that it was good to drive it hard to burn the glaze off the cylinders. should i worry about this? how many of you guys gave into the "temptation" or "call" of your car?
-ben
ps- this car rocks :)
I break in engines the way I would like them to run for the duration. Vary RPM all the way into redline. RPM cycle them 1K to 3K, 1K to 4K , 1K to 5K, 1K to redline. I have 76K miles now and still no loss of compression or fuel efficiency. You should be fine as well.

Fig

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
First of all there is no 'glaze' on the cylinders that neds to be 'burned off' If your cylinders are 'glazed' it generally means that the engine has been severely overheated. There is a fine line between driving the car hard, and beating on it. It is a good idea to put the engine under a load to help seat the piston rings, but I would not recommend redlining the engine too much during the first miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts