Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you insects recall, I recently SOLD my new titanium PowerBook G4 667 and began my wait for the new, next-gen PowerBook G4 to arrive at the local Apple store. Well, it came in yesterday, and I figured I'd share with you just exactly how amazing this machine is. It is, without a doubt, the finest computer I've ever used in my entire life. Bar none.

Let's get the geek stuff out of the way:

• 1GHz PowerPC G4
  • 1MB L3 & 256K L2 cache
  • 1GB RAM (yes, GIGAbyte)
  • 60GB Ultra ATA hard drive
  • SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) (yes, it's a DVD burner too)
  • ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 w/64MB DDR video memory
  • Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)
  • 56K internal modem
  • 1 FireWire & 2 USB Ports + DVI port
  • AirPort Card included (802.11b networking)
  • Up to 5 hour battery life
  • Running OS X 10.2.2 Jaguar (aka FreeBSD UNIX)
My earlier TiBook 667 was amazing, and this thing trumps it in every way possible. From the time I got my 667 to the time I sold it, I never once turned it off or had to reboot -- I just put it to sleep. That's the first thing you notice -- the stability and reliability of a Mac versus a PC are literally orders of magnitude apart. My WinXP machine is a very well-built system, but it still occasionally burps and automatically reboots on my, sometimes giving me a BSOD with a 0x50 error (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) for no good reason (I suspect a driver problem). But despite how decent XP is, OS X is not even in the same class in terms of reliability and stability. OS X transcends it entirely.

So with this new machine, I've got a laptop that's as powerful as a 2.2 (approx.) GHz P4, has incredible battery life, doesn't crash, has a gig of RAM, the new Radeon Mobility 9000 GPU, and can burn both CDs and DVDs. Of course, the wireless networking via the AirPort card is staggering (the furthest point from my wireless basepoint is my kitchen, and with the Mac I get 89% signal strength; for comparison purposes, the new IBM ThinkPad T30 I got for work gets a sad 29%), and what's more, get a load of this: when an Wintel notebook is unplugged from the wall, the CPU is throttled back from it's listed speed to something dramatically lower (my T30, normally 1.8GHz, throttles down to 900MHz or so), and the G4 does not. So unplugged, the G4 1GHz will utterly destroy a mobile P4 CPU. Plugged in, they're probably pretty even, depending on clock.

Last but not least, the machine is cased in full titanium, built like a rock, and exudes a sense of class and quality that you have to see to believe:

My T30 (THE top-rated Windows notebook) and my TiBook aren't that far apart on price, and there is simply NO comparison between the two. Next to the TiBook, the T30 screen seems small and dim (the TiBook has the brightest screen I've ever seen on a laptop...bright enough for me to turn down a notch or two to save battery life), while the T30's construction (although very sold) seems big and bulky. What's worse, is that already the T30 is showing signs of Windows sloppiness: 50% of the time the pointing device is frozen upon waking from sleep, which forces a reboot), the battery life is nowhere near published times (the best I got was 2:03), and the hard drive is loud enough to penetrate kinddog's impossibly dense skull.

And the ultimate just might be this: MS Office v.X utterly destroys Office XP. Ironic, huh?

So these days, my WinXP machine will be relegated to a simple role: games. Everything else will be done on the Mac.

Last thing: ever see a TiBook drive both its own display as well as a 20.1" digital LCD, allowing spanning between each? TiBook does this bone stock, no VGA adapter required.

I realize this post is long and boring for the vast majority of you, but I figure at least a few of you might give a shit. If not, oh well. I just stole 3 minutes of your life, and you paid me rapt attention. Neener.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
geoff said:
I realize this post is long and boring for the vast majority of you, but I figure at least a few of you might give a shit. If not, oh well. I just stole 3 minutes of your life, and you paid me rapt attention. Neener.

:boring: :boring: :boring:

but congrats to you for getting what you like

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mccarlin said:
3K for a new PC is nuts. worst investment you can make, tomorrow it will be worth 1500 bucks.

loser!
That's very true, if you're stupid enough to think a PC is a financial investment vehicle, which it's not.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
geoff said:
mccarlin said:
3K for a new PC is nuts. worst investment you can make, tomorrow it will be worth 1500 bucks.

loser!
That's very true, if you're stupid enough to think a PC is a financial investment vehicle, which it's not.
you use a MAC, what the hell do you know....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Hey Geoff :) ... Great post and just what I wanted to read.. I'm glad you're satisfied with your purchase, as I'm now in the market for a new laptop. I've had countless problems with my Dell inspiron and am ready to "upgrade" to a Mac powerbook....
Eric....

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
mccarlin said:

loser!
Yeah, but he got a Mac...anyways... :roll:

Congrats geoff! That thing is a beast of a laptop! How's the desktop quest going? I'll be getting mine in early January. No 'ifs', 'ands', or 'buts'. If they drop the price a bit on the dual 1.25ghz by then I may just go for that instead of the dual 1ghz. We'll see.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
30 Participants
Trovador
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing