Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was bored on the way to work today... I figured hey I'll gate shift it since traffic was backed up for a few minutes and I had the opp to get down into 1st.

Dilemma..... When you get to "3" 3rd gear, and you peak the rpms there Your only option is to push it up into "M" which throws you into 5th gear on ur Cluster read out..... kinda just completely omitting 4th gear?

L-2-3-M-D?

Is this how it suppose to be done? I always just kinda used e-shift when bored and this just struck me as odd.

·
1,717 Posts
hold down the down shift button when you make the shift it will start in 5th but go into 4th the trans is not fast enough to make 5th gear apply.

·
8,849 Posts
Use the e-shift buttons. That's what they are there for.

Auto transmission gives you limited control and makes decisions for you. If you are accelerating hard and you put it into "M" before you hit 78MPH and ECT-PWR is on, the car will stay in 3rd gear. Otherwise, if you are still accelerating, it will go into 4th. If you are cruizing, or accelerating lightly, it will go into 5th gear.

Bottom line, auto is auto.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
From 3rd up shift to 4th which shows "M" on the gate is 4th for me. I no longer display the gear number in the "square" box on dash. I do get the gears highlighted where all the gears are listed on the dash. So, gate shifting for me is almost manual just without the clutch. Also, I believe from my memory when I have it set a "M" and it shows "5" on dash, it doesn't mean it's always on "5". It'll downshift although you don't touch the eshift button.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
isman said:
Also, I believe from my memory when I have it set a "M" and it shows "5" on dash, it doesn't mean it's always on "5". It'll downshift although you don't touch the eshift button.
Exactly what I was gonna say. If you're climbing through the gears hard, and go L-2-3-M, if you are shifting at redline in 3, when you shift to "M" the cluster will display "5"...but in reality if you're still flooring it, you will actually be in 4th gear.

It's like pushing you're car into "M" mode and keeping it in 5th gear. Even though it displays 5, you're still going through all the gears when you're at a stop.

You don't need to hold down the e-shift downshift button as you push it into M, cause regardless, you will be in 4th if WOT. When you will want to do is while you're climbing the rpms in 4th gear is downshift from 5-4 so that you can hold 4th gear a little longer than usual.

Normally, just flooring it without shifting, 4th shifts into 5th at 110mph. If you e-shift, you can actually get to 118mph or 117mph before you redline it.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HUSTLER said:
EvgeshaIS300 said:
Rich the "square" box on dash doesnt show which gear you are in. it shows you the highes available gear.
AGREED.
Thanks Guys... I just dont like "experimenting" on my own tranny :lol:

Vlad A, thanks for stating the obvious :roll: My entire purpose of this was to be able to control the 1-2 shift a little better.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mr.Is300 said:
Wait, isn't gate shifting bad for the auto tranny?
This has got to be an IS300 urban legend....we need a definitive post from someone in the "know". Can any of our board "tuner" shops please answer? SRT, PFS, PLP, Toyomoto, TBKO?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts