Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i always use chevron (with techron) cuz my friends tell me never to use crappy brands like costco, arco, mobil, shell etc. does brands really matter to our cars, or are the differences so small that it doesnt matter?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Texaco got either bought or was owned by Shell...one or the other. and Im in Texas (Dallas FtWorth ) and they're all going over to Shell label, and claim there gas is new and improved. Thats all i use, and our cars get good milage and run clean.

·
Registered
847 Posts
AustinAltezza said:
i always use chevron (with techron) cuz my friends tell me never to use crappy brands like costco, arco, mobil, shell etc. does brands really matter to our cars, or are the differences so small that it doesnt matter?
how is shell and mobil crappy brands??? you don't know what you're talking about. just because mobil doesn't advertise in SoCal doesn't mean that it's crappy...people in the northease think Mobil is a better brand of gasoline compared to Chevron. it's all about advertisement.

·
11,061 Posts
AustinAltezza said:

ADDITIVES! Chevron, Shell, Texaco...all have additives. For some vehicles, this provides better mileage...but you pay for it too.

From what I understand, Costco and Arco don't have any. In addition, Arco's regular IS crap...they shave the octane to the "barely there" level. Some cars won't run on it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here's a scientific document on gasoline.
http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

Short excerpt:
Some of you probably know this, others may be shocked by it. Oil companies swap base gasoline all the time. Let's say I have a refinery in Houston and you have one in Dallas. It makes little sense for me to truck my Houston gasoline to Dallas and for you to truck your gasoline from Dallas to Houston when gasoline is a commodity product. So, I let you draw 100,000 gallons of base gasoline from my storage tank in Houston for your Houston gas stations, and you let me draw 100,000 gallons of base gasoline from your Dallas holding tanks for my Dallas gas stations. That way, we both save on shipping. Yup, Texaco gasoline may have come from a Shell refinery and vice-versa. At a gasoline terminal you may see trucks from up to six different companies all loading at the SAME terminal (that for example may be supplied exclusively by Shell). What comes next, however, is what makes Texaco Texaco and Shell Shell. Additive. Each company has its own additive and adds it to the base gasoline. So while the base gasoline may be the same, the additive is different, and hence the brand of gasoline you use is different because of the additive, not the base gasoline.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've always read that it's not a matter of what brand is better as a matter
of what brand do you usually use. Since the additives are all different, there
may be strange reactions with different additives. Most of the stuff I've
read has amounted to stick with what you usually use to prevent problems
with additives that may react to each other in unpredictables ways.

LexMunky5 said:
Here's a scientific document on gasoline.
http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

Short excerpt:
Some of you probably know this, others may be shocked by it. Oil companies swap base gasoline all the time. Let's say I have a refinery in Houston and you have one in Dallas. It makes little sense for me to truck my Houston gasoline to Dallas and for you to truck your gasoline from Dallas to Houston when gasoline is a commodity product. So, I let you draw 100,000 gallons of base gasoline from my storage tank in Houston for your Houston gas stations, and you let me draw 100,000 gallons of base gasoline from your Dallas holding tanks for my Dallas gas stations. That way, we both save on shipping. Yup, Texaco gasoline may have come from a Shell refinery and vice-versa. At a gasoline terminal you may see trucks from up to six different companies all loading at the SAME terminal (that for example may be supplied exclusively by Shell). What comes next, however, is what makes Texaco Texaco and Shell Shell. Additive. Each company has its own additive and adds it to the base gasoline. So while the base gasoline may be the same, the additive is different, and hence the brand of gasoline you use is different because of the additive, not the base gasoline.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
and brand name gas station such as chevron, shell, texaco, etc... should do because they all have additives, but it's those mom and pop gas stations you have to worry about....bad gas can clog your injectors :-?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I heard an advertisement(Chevron's of course) on the radio the other day that all the domestic manufacturers use Chevron to do testing with. It also said that there's no Chevron's in Michigan so they have to truck it in. Sounds like the car companies think Chevron is the best.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
the only thing to remember is to always stick with one brand...don't go changing your gasoline from one company to another every week... :shame:

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
for the best fuel for the IS, its a no brainer to just get

SUNOCO ULTRA 94

I know lots of guys from the northeast use it, its the highest octane available, and 1 station even has race fuel with 100 octane as well nearby me....which is pretty cool too!

:chill:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I always use 76er now.
1.it's cheaper than other brands.
2.it's close to my house.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Kev IS300 said:
I always use 76er now.
1.it's cheaper than other brands.
2.it's close to my house.
It is not cheaper, costs me $4.49 per gallon! That is not cheaper :wink:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
AustinAltezza said:
Whenever i hear Chevron with Techron I start to laugh. Advertising gimmick? like those little cars?

Well whatever is cheapest for me but still not 7/11 gas. I always do 76. I dont know which is best though. But yesterday I put 34 bucks in my car. Ouch!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts