Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use these? My car was running sluggish after I accidentaly used 92 octane insteadof the usual 93 octane. So on my next fill up I used 93 octane from Amoco and dropped a bottle of NOS octane booster. Damnnnnnnnnnnnn my car felt like a rocket on wheels! Good ish!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Originally posted by triz:
Anyone use these? My car was running sluggish after I accidentaly used 92 octane insteadof the usual 93 octane. So on my next fill up I used 93 octane from Amoco and dropped a bottle of NOS octane booster. Damnnnnnnnnnnnn my car felt like a rocket on wheels! Good ish!
I felt the same thing when I fill up 93 octance in my MR2, BUT I thought it just my imagination (you know how your mind play tricks with you sometimes), and often I felt my car go faster when the tank is full(again, I could be wrong). I'm wonder if there are any study case about this??

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
The NOS brand is pretty good, but I found the 104+ stuff (black bottle) to be a little better on my old turbo car.

Try that next time, you'll probably like it a little better, plus it's cheaper I think.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For FI Cars and HIGH compression engines, a higher octane rating could be better, but only because it reduces engine knocking/detonation. Other than that, I can't see any valid reason to use higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Plus it's a more "controlled" burn and burns cleaner, which wil in turn reduce carbon buildup by burning off more more fuel. Plus that decreases engine temperature's which is also a plus. These engines are a somewhat high compression engine, 10.5:1 is not very common in today's market. Common is aroun 9:1 or 9.5:1.

We can all agree that a cooler temp means more dense air=big boom boom.

It may not be required, but it will help almost any engine. My cousin ran a slightly quicker 1/4 mi. in his 240sx when he used the NOS octane booster, I think it shaved like .07 sec off his quarter with nearly identical launches, .507RT vs. .505, damn close reation times if you ask me!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by kalieaire:
For FI Cars and HIGH compression engines, a higher octane rating could be better, but only because it reduces engine knocking/detonation. Other than that, I can't see any valid reason to use higher octane fuel.
Drop 92 octane in there and then try 93 octane believe me youll notice a difference.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I've never heard of any negative affect using any of these boosters. It tells on the bottle how it works. Say if you use 92 Octane, put in a bottle of 104+, this will increase your octane to only 96 or 97 maybe, it reall helps the cheaper gas though, like the 89 oct.

Racing gas can really hurt your cat if you use too high of an octane rating, like 110 or something on a stock engine, it will usually cause the cat to get REALLY hot from what I've heard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts