Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get an IS300, but now I hear that they are somewhat of a gas guzzler....and they use premium?!?!:jawDrop:

Gas is getting VERY expensive, and I was wondering what the 'side effects' of using regular gasoline with this car are. I know it probably isn't good for the car, but I need like specific things.....what does it do to the car if you use regular (like 87 octane rating) gasoline

Reactions: MrGregski

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
yes, it's a gas guzzler

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks MrGregSki.

So overall do you think it would be ok to use 87 or 89 in the summer and 91 -93 in the winter?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Filling up a full tank of gas 93 is only $3-4 bucks more per tanks versus 87. To me its worth it for peformance and a little bit of better mpg. Oh yeah the is300 is a real gas guzzler. This car should have been taxed on the sticker price for gas guzzler. I get 200 miles a tank of 70% highway.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
CVEX stop accelerating WOT and cruising at 80. I can average 22-24 doing 80 mph highway driving and almost 35 at 55 mph!

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
Filling up a full tank of gas 93 is only $3-4 bucks more per tanks versus 87. To me its worth it for peformance and a little bit of better mpg. Oh yeah the is300 is a real gas guzzler. This car should have been taxed on the sticker price for gas guzzler. I get 200 miles a tank of 70% highway.
theres somethin wrong with your car...I drive less highway than that and I at the least get 300+...i just took a trip that was 300 miles, 70% highway, other 30% I was havin to slow down to 35mph an/or stop at stop signs/stoplights in the small towns then speed back up to 70. I filled up the night before I left (Friday night, left 6am Sat morning) and still have over 1/4 of a tank left, and I drove to work and school yesterday

I would get that checked, I dont think that the IS is as much of a gas guzzler as people make it out to be, I dont baby the car, but I dont drive the hell out of it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Actually, I drive like a granny. I drive 70 miles roundtrip to work everyday, so I need to do the best I can to conserve fuel as much as possible. Ive changed all sparkplugs and wires and all routine maintainence, resetting ecu. But still getting horrible gas mileage or maybe that's just how it is. Only thing I can think of are the O2 sensors. Since there is no CEL and having to change all four, it is costly and not knowing it will improve.
I could imagine the second gen gs300's gas mileage is even worst. Having the same engine with a heavier car. Yikes!!

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
I get ~280 miles per tank and I warm it up for 2-3 minutes in the morning of each day. Like cvex, I drive like a grandfather.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Like cvex, I drive like a grandfather.
You mean when you back up, you do it until you feel something? ;)

Getting 200 miles per tank is wayyyyy too low. Clean the MAF, change the filter, should make a difference. How many miles on the odo?

To the thread starter: Going with a lower octane fuel will not save you money, getting poor gas mileage because of the ECU trying to compensate for everything will actually make you spend more.

Reactions: StevenST

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
^^I do the warm up thing for a few minutes in the morning and then again when Im leavin work. car doesnt jerk gears so bad when you do that
Same here, I don't think I ever drove it before it got up to temp.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Getting 200 miles per tank is wayyyyy too low. Clean the MAF, change the filter, should make a difference. How many miles on the odo?

To the thread starter: Going with a lower octane fuel will not save you money, getting poor gas mileage because of the ECU trying to compensate for everything will actually make you spend more.
90k on odometer. Maf is super clean.

^^Like he said. Going with lower octane, the engine pulls timing, thus may add more fuel to compensate the combustion. Basically the engine has to work a little harder(burning more fuel) to meet your acceleration needs

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
If the car calls for premium (and it does) then I wouldn't give it anything else. If spending a few extra bucks on gas worries you just wait till your first $100 oil change :lol:

·
13,727 Posts
I got 320+ miles out of my last tank, however I live in Arizona and we dont have hills here.

If you do the math, the difference between 87 octane and 91 (cause I can't buy 93 here) is like .20 cents. Multiply that by whatever the fuel capacity is (I forgot...its around 14 gallons right?) and you come out with $2.80.

If you fill up once a week, thats $11.20 / mo, or $134.40 / yr. That is a small price to pay to make sure you are not pinging and risking screwing up your engine.

Give that bad ass piece of machinery the fuel that it so craves! C'mon, don't go cheap, you did buy a Lexus afterall...

(Brought to you by Exxon-Mobil)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i guess if you do the math its not that bad

·
Registered
34 Posts
You forgot to factor in how much miles you actually can get with each fuel grade.

I've been getting 230miles with 93. My tank is currently filled with 91. If i can get 250 or more with 91, then I would be spending less, and getting more miles.

Have you checked how much miles you're getting with each octane?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts