Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm just new to the whole v6 thing, but is it normal for me to only be getting 280 on a full tank of gas? I go Premium ofcourse, but seriously is that all we should be getting on the 15 gallon tank?

Maybe I'm just on something, but something seems way wrong with that?

What are yall getting?

·
Registered
590 Posts
You may want to identify what car you have.
In the US, the V6's come as a 2.5 liter in the IS250 and a 3.5 liter in the IS350. With 300+ HP, an aggresively driven IS350 will easily return these kind of poor MPG #'s.
If you should happen to have a US model IS300, then you don't have a V6, it's an I6. That I6 is one of the main reasons many of us chose the IS over it's V6 competitors. It's a very reliable engine, but it's not known for great gas mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may want to identify what car you have.
In the US, the V6's come as a 2.5 liter in the IS250 and a 3.5 liter in the IS350. With 300+ HP, an aggresively driven IS350 will easily return these kind of poor MPG #'s.
If you should happen to have a US model IS300, then you don't have a V6, it's an I6. That I6 is one of the main reasons many of us chose the IS over it's V6 competitors. It's a very reliable engine, but it's not known for great gas mileage.
So if I have an inline 6, does that mean I do not have a V6? What are some of the advanteges of the Inline 6 if thats what I have?

Blind

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
If it's the IS300 you have and you live where its cold in the winter than ya thats pretty normal.

I get about 100-120km, 60-75miles, less per tank during winter than in the summer.

You're not in a Civic anymore, get used to it :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
So if I have an inline 6, does that mean I do not have a V6? What are some of the advanteges of the Inline 6 if thats what I have?

Blind
Are we speaking figuratively?
What do you mean "if"?
Either you have an IS300 or you don't.
Regardless, the type of engine in the car is something you should have researched before you bought it.
If you seriously want to learn the difference, I recommend that you log in and then use the "search" function on the upper toolbar. This has been discussed on here many times. Even better, go to HowStuffWorks - Learn how Everything Works! before you do anything else. Also, you can Google "inline 6 features", "inline 6 benefits", or just "inline 6" and read whatever comes up to educate yourself. There will be plenty to read.

·
Registered
531 Posts
280 seems to be a lot for me.

I only get 220 or so, but perhaps you should elaborate more - what tank is it and what gas do you use?
thats not a lot I get 320 but i use 100 octane with 93 from new jersey. If i put only 93 octane i only get 280-290 if i am pushing the car hard i might only make it to 235 at times :(

·
Registered
696 Posts
I easily get 330-350 a tank. I normally fill 16.5 Gallons. I believe once the gas light comes on you have 2.5 gallons remaining, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Depends on the location, type of driving (Short stuff like errands, long distance cruising, etc.) Otherwise change your driving habits.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Blind
The main advanatge of the I6 is that it is one of the few configurations where all the 1st and 2nd order moments are balanced, requiring no use of counterweights. This is an inherently smooth and vibrationless design. The disadvanatge is that it requires more space due to it's long layout.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been able to get close to 280 but since I've just had this car for half a year, driving it around fast is still pretty fun for me especially since I have a 5 speed haha. And I only drive it a mile or two every day inside my town to get to classes so I don't need to fuel it up that much.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
The main advanatge of the I6 is that it is one of the few configurations where all the 1st and 2nd order moments are balanced, requiring no use of counterweights. This is an inherently smooth and vibrationless design. The disadvanatge is that it requires more space due to it's long layout.
They're very heavy too. 80lbs more than the V8 I installed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Man, I don't know what is up with the tank miles figures being posted. I don't drive like a maniac, and I don't drive like a grandparent. Normal driving, which means I boot it from time to time and cruise from time to time, and I can routinely get at least 400 miles out of a tank. I have a 110 mile commute round trip with maybe 75% highway at 60-70, and the rest small town. I log and track every tank. When the gas gauge shows 1/2, I'm always at about 220 miles. I have a 2003 with a slush box.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Could it be the winter gas? I know my mileage goes down a little with it.

Man, I don't know what is up with the tank miles figures being posted. I don't drive like a maniac, and I don't drive like a grandparent. Normal driving, which means I boot it from time to time and cruise from time to time, and I can routinely get at least 400 miles out of a tank. I have a 110 mile commute round trip with maybe 75% highway at 60-70, and the rest small town. I log and track every tank. When the gas gauge shows 1/2, I'm always at about 220 miles. I have a 2003 with a slush box.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
MPG will vary greatly... All depends on condition of car, driving habits, and where you drive. City driving kills MPG for the IS300. If you drive long hwy distances, you will see very good MPG.

I do about 90% city on the regular, and get about 250 miles out of a tank driving normal. Driving like I do everyday, not driving like a granny. That's how you get real MPG.

When I've driven long distances I can easily get +350.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts