Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow owners,

Have anyone what kind of mileage you are actuall getting? I know sticker says 18/23 but I feel like IS eating up gas pretty fast. I'm a little surprise this car eats up so gas when I compared it to other cars.

price for peformance, i guess.

sklim1

·
Registered
591 Posts
We're getting right at 350mi to a Tank with
our car. (Air Conditioner Used Everytime The
Car Moves)
Also, I've been sorta "Heavy Footed" these
first few weeks.
Got 1,030 miles on car.
Goes in for service on the 26th.

So, whats the math on that??
How many Gals does the tank hold?

[From TEG: Precisely 20MPG]

Thanks TEG...

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited July 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by smra (edited July 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I am getting slightly under 20mpg for the first 2 fill up. It seem to me that mileage is improving slightly as I approach the end of the break in period. ALso, I do alot of street stop-and-go driving, so I will expect a higher mpg if I drive freeway more often.

Daniel

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I've gotten just about 18mpg on all four or five fill-ups so far.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

[From TEG: Yeah Tony, we know how you drive!
]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited July 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I know someone had brought this up before, but does the MPG gauge actually work? Mine goes up an down as I drive. What's up with that? As for gas mileage, I used to drive a civic which I was shocked to switch to the IS. For the performance, I'm still happy!!

sklim1

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The mileage gauge is "instantaneous mileage" so it is supposed to move around in response to speed versus fuel consumption.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by ralittle2:
The instant mileage guage is one thing that they copied from BMW that they shouldn't have. Nobody cares. This goes for BMW's as well.

OUch! He comes the flamers...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just filled my tank up and did the math... I'm getting 16! Of course nearly all of that is around town, but I don't drive my car hard at all. This sucks...

·
Registered
72 Posts
There's no doubt about it, the gas mileage sucks. Nobody can say that they weren't warned though. I'm guessing that most IS buyers aren't buying it for its economy. Leave that one for the Ford Festiva forum.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tank # 2 1/2 and it was around 24 MPG's. Washington, DC rush hours and some highway driving, a few decent starts... I've got 850 miles on it.

------------------
2001 Lexus IS300
Solar Yellow Exterior
LSD, Black L/E
Moonroof, wheel locks, trunk mat

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Remember......Different brand of gas may produce different results....(not to mention the different 'grades' of premium--same brand, same octane rating actually has different grades, pending on your local gas station owner in what they use.) Also, the longer the gas sits, the quality deteriorates from the evaporation. Gas station gas tanks have water in them?? In conclusion, there are many different variables that determine what's goos gas and what's bad gas.

Environmental factors?? Different atmospheric pressure, temperature, humidity, density of air, quality of air, etc. also contributes to the performance, and hence mpg....

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by webmaster:
I've gotten just about 18mpg on all four or five fill-ups so far.

Dear Tony:

From the way you're driving, you're getting DAMN GOOD mileage!!!!

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
"Instantaneous Mileage"...sounds like calculus to me.

I think the new BMW's are doing away with the MPG gauge. Let's hope Lexus wises up and puts in an oil pressure gauge in the future. (Or a boost gauge for all you guys w/ turbos
)

Originally posted by ralittle2:
The instant mileage guage is one thing that they copied from BMW that they shouldn't have. Nobody cares. This goes for BMW's as well.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
You know I used to get crappy mileage in the Miata too (with or without the turbo). And here I thought it was the car...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
tony
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing