Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how much gas is still in the tank when the first empty tank warning light goes off?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I know that for most cars it's roughly two gallons, but for Lexus it could be less... Get to the station ASAP when the light goes on..... I've had my close calls when I had my GS4.... Have any of you guys ever run out of gas?? I haven't but am knocking on wood.
Eric...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know from the owners manual there are 2 different warning lights that will occur when running out of gas. The first is the light by the fuel guage. The other is the light that says something in you car is malfunctioning. I just want to see how close to the edge the car can go without having it die.

i also havent had the car go totally empty yet.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by GeniusB:
i also havent had the car go totally empty yet.
You really don't want to. There's sediment that builds up in the bottom of the fuel tank and if you start picking up fuel from the bottom, you can put a lot of crap into your fuel system...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Originally posted by webmaster:
You really don't want to. There's sediment that builds up in the bottom of the fuel tank and if you start picking up fuel from the bottom, you can put a lot of crap into your fuel system...
Wholly SH!T I never knew that, I guess I won't be waiting for my gas tank to get down really low anymore.

BTW Genius, I think the remaining amount of gas is 2.5 gallons. I remember last week, when my empty light just started blinking and a Mobil with $1.55 Super caught my eye at the same moment. I'd figure I'd fill her up since it was so damn cheap. Fill-up was ~14.9 gallons.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
11,061 Posts
Crontab: You got SUPER at that price? Lucky devil. Cheapest thing around here is Arco supper at $1.79. Texaco actually has a couple of stations thinking they are going to get $1.99. I usually pay about $1.83.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Yeah. That mobil gas station is by my work. Plus it was one of those days where its $.05 or $.06 off or something like that. Its usually ~$1.80 by where I live. The weird thing is, Princeton (where I work) is a wealthier community than where I live, I think. But I see more luxo cars in my town than in Princeton.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

1 - 9 of 9 Posts