Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a garmin navi for xmas and I am pretty impressed with it. I want to try and mount it somewhere (has 3.5 inch screen). It looks like crap hanging from the window, anyone done this? If so, how did you do it?

·
Registered
387 Posts
id try and get it attached to the "lint trap" area.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I put mine between the wheel and the A piller (as best as I can describe it)
extend and hide the wire, and that'll look best.. I can post a picture if you would like

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been thinking of removing the HU and running the wire up and through the cloth cover thing (I'd have to cut it, but I don't know how thick it is)

·
Registered
51 Posts
this is what i did with my clarion N.I.C.E gps which also has a 3.5" screen didn't want to mount it on the window, i know some people don't like what i did but to each his own..just throwing out some ideas for you..

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
It was custom made.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
that's a cool idea. i've thought about the possibility of putting a single-din HU into the cubby hole part up there. i have an '05 so it has the little compartment that usually the stock navi would go in, and depending what the AC ducts look like it may be possible to fit a single-din unit in there. it will most likely cause some problems with hacking into the ducts but i think it could be do-able. i hate the fact that the best sounding aftermarket HUs come in a single-din package. the Alpine F#1, Pioneer P9, Clarion DRZ, Rockford RFX...they're all single-din units. and if it could fit in there with the cover still able to close (probably require some hacking into the cover as well) the system would be completely stealth as you can leave the stock HU in place. that would be heaven. i'd be willing to sacrifice the center air ducts if i had to...

·
Registered
180 Posts
i did this installation a while ago.. it is simple though just find 2 plates and bolt one to the unit and the other one to the side of vent housing and connect them with a pin so it moves pivots, also make sure that the unit is not bigger than the space on the vent housing

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Where does the power plug into the garmin? I have a Navigon and the power plug is on the bottom which makes it a little bit of a pain.

Also just something to keep in mind if people like to break your windows and steal your sh*t: most insurance companies will not pay to replace GPSs since they're removable and not a part of the car.

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
why would you want to permanently install your portable Garmin to the car?

-if it's mounted in a visible spot, it's just begging a thief to break your window to steal it.

-you will find that you won't use it every single time you go out, it's better to leave it locked up in your trunk or glovebox to keep it out of site.

-the windshield mount may be tacky.. but a portable GPS isn't exactly a "show-piece"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts