Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm not exactly your regular ol' handyman. My kitchen sink started draining VERY slowly, so I turned on the garbage disposal. It just sat there humming like it was trying to go, but couldn't. Then the circuit breaker turned it off. I've reached my hand down there to try to find the obstruction (I'm not missing any dishes down there) and can't find anything. I turned the circuit breaker back on and tried it once more; no go. Any ideas on how to unstick?

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
okwiater said:
Somebody wants to see me hurtin!! :cry:
i was just jokin do0d...have a sense of humor...anyways it may be time to get a new one cause my dads done that a while back and he had to get a new one

·
Registered
195 Posts
There is probably something small caught in the blades. Like a spoon or something. Unplug the disposal from the wall. On the bottom of the disposal there should be a place to insert a fairly large allen wrench. You may have to get one or it may attached to the disposal somewhere. Instert the allen wrench and turn/jerk it back and forth until the obstruction loosens up. Every so often, reach inside and feel for something coming loose. Then reset the breaker on the disposal and the one in your homes breaker box if that one tripped too.

I once swore that there was noting in the blades of a friends disposal, used the above technique and a baby spoon came out! It's worked like new ever since.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tha Reaper said:
okwiater said:
Somebody wants to see me hurtin!! :cry:
i was just jokin do0d...have a sense of humor...anyways it may be time to get a new one cause my dads done that a while back and he had to get a new one
Hey Reaper, no problem, I know you weren't serious! :D

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike Silva said:
There is probably something small caught in the blades. Like a spoon or something. Unplug the disposal from the wall. On the bottom of the disposal there should be a place to insert a fairly large allen wrench. You may have to get one or it may attached to the disposal somewhere. Instert the allen wrench and turn/jerk it back and forth until the obstruction loosens up. Every so often, reach inside and feel for something coming loose. Then reset the breaker on the disposal and the one in your homes breaker box if that one tripped too.

I once swore that there was noting in the blades of a friends disposal, used the above technique and a baby spoon came out! It's worked like new ever since.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked the bottom of the disposal and there's nothing. It's just a flat surface with a label. Does this mean it's a cheap, POS disposal and I should get a new one? (It was in this apartment when I moved in).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Since i had to grow up as a handymans grandson Im pretty much the one who gets picked on around the house. Yeah if there is no place for a large alen wrench to be put in then id say its a cheap ass garbage disposal and youd be better off geting a new one....they arent expensive. I just got done fixing ours, mom decided to just let the stones from a planter go down the drain when she was watering her new "exotic" bamboo plant...she aint exactly the brightest lol.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
if you live in an apartment, won't the maintenance people fix it for you?

The exact same thing has happened to me 3 times. I don't know what causes it, but the maintenance man has a little tool he sticks down there. It is basically like some kind of special wrench and then it starts working again. Good luck. I hate it whne that happens to mine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i think your fix it man is a special tool lol....all it is is an Alen Wrench thats the proper size to fit into the female part under the garbage disposal, twist the bitch around a bit and it should do the trick

·
Registered
357 Posts
i think your fix it man is a special tool lol....all it is is an Alen Wrench thats the proper size to fit into the female part under the garbage disposal, twist the bitch around a bit and it should do the trick

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks MotownIS300... much appreciated!

XCstud said:
if you live in an apartment, won't the maintenance people fix it for you?
Yeah, but you know how the maintenance staff is. If I can fix it myself I'd rather, especially considering it'll take 'em a little while to drag their sorry asses over here. And even if I let them fix it, I like to be informed ahead of time about what is actually wrong. Same with auto service... :)

XCstud said:
The exact same thing has happened to me 3 times. I don't know what causes it, but the maintenance man has a little tool he sticks down there. It is basically like some kind of special wrench and then it starts working again. Good luck. I hate it whne that happens to mine.
Thanks! I'll give them a call later this morning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
okwiater
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing