Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the garage door opener system in the visor is fully contained within the visor? Or are those just the buttons, and the actual system is somewhere else? My car didn't come with the system, and I'm wondering if it's as simple as getting a replacement visor, then running power to it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's self contained around the visor. I think the IR reciever is in the rear view mirror or behind it I'm not sure. Actually it might even route to the same on used for remote lock.

·
8,880 Posts
It is self containted. There are 2 wires running into it. Same wires power the mirror illumination.

·
8,880 Posts
flproject13 said:
I'm pretty sure it's self contained around the visor. I think the IR reciever is in the rear view mirror or behind it I'm not sure. Actually it might even route to the same on used for remote lock.
What would an IR reciever be used for?
There is a light sensor in the mirror for the auto-dimming to work.

Remote control reciever for factory security system is located between the rear speakers on the rear deck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input! Would anyone happen to know the range of programmable frequencies for the unit? The garage where I park supposedly uses some kind of encrypted system that they say can't be copied. I've tried to have duplicate remotes programmed at electronics/lock shops, and they've not been able to do it, stating that the frequency of my remote is too high.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
flproject13 said:
Infrared? It's radio-wave, chief. You see an IR LED on your hand-held garage door opener?

·
Registered
84 Posts
BenL said:
Thanks for the input! Would anyone happen to know the range of programmable frequencies for the unit? The garage where I park supposedly uses some kind of encrypted system that they say can't be copied. I've tried to have duplicate remotes programmed at electronics/lock shops, and they've not been able to do it, stating that the frequency of my remote is too high.
it can handle quite a broad range. i have mine programmed for both garage doors in my house, one of which is a newer Genie Intellicode which changes codes each time you use it; the other is a seriously old Linear model with an 8-pin DIP switch (yes, I said 8!). email Homelink, they told me the freq that they can handle and were very helpful in answering my questions.

best- v

·
Registered
831 Posts
vlad_a said:
flproject13 said:
What would an IR reciever be used for?
There is a light sensor in the mirror for the auto-dimming to work.

Remote control reciever for factory security system is located between the rear speakers on the rear deck.
whoopies :oops:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts