Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,176 Posts
I certainly hope this doesn't happen .. I just paid $40 to have it cut.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep so did i and it lasted about a month :( I just glued the casing together and use it as keyless then valet key to start car... My only recommendation is hold the key close to the shank and dont turn too hard!

I just found a guy to cut these keys for $5 though...have had 4 keys cut for my RX now so cant beat that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yea I've broken countless ones and have given up on the original key design.

I found a supplier in HK that can get 2 different flip style keys, had to buy bulk for them to ship to me tho...

if anyone wants to buy my spares it's $18 delivered :)

I got 5 of the internal ring ones and 2 of the open ring

internal ring (right) open ring (left)

internal ring open insides

open ring insides

internal ring back

open ring back

open ring:
pros
-metal end to attach to keyring, wont scratch
-sturdy design
-feels more solid

cons
-lexus logo doesn't look oem
-slightly more expensive
-came a lil scratched on delivery (see pic)
-screws are weak and strip easy (comes with spares)

internal ring:
pros
-logos look very oem
-smaller in length
-pretty rugged and would survive many drops

cons
-will scratch the plastic when putting on a keyring
-very light, seems too light, thinking of putting some bluetac in mine to make it weigh more
-screws are weak and strip easy (comes with spares)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have the internal ring one for my is300.

Its not bad at all. I thought I would break it open by now when I twist the key to start the car, but nope... still fine!

The key itself was like 25 dollars and I paid 15 bucks to get it cut.

Yeah it`s a bit light and I would like it to be a little bit heavier but, if you start adding weight to the key and then add keys, rewards cards, key chains, etc, it starts getting heavy and weight isn't good for keys in the ignition.

Does your internal key flip out ALL THE WAY even if you press the button all the way down? Before I opened my shell to put in the buttons the key flipped out perfectly but after I opened it, I think the spring lost its tension T.T.. so unless I press the button in a certain way, the key wont flip out all the way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.