Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI - I spoke to the detailers at my dealer and they let me in on their secret... apparently they don't use rim cleaner on new rims (no need) .... once you have them clean, get some VARSOL... its a weak solvent that you can buy at any hardware store... take a cotton cloth and dab it in the Varsol and use it to cover the entire rim... once the solvent has evaporated a thin film of oily residue will be left on the rim... this creates a barrier and that brake dust will not be able to bond to the surface of the rims... you'll notice that you will be able to wash the brake dust off with a gentle spray of water... you should clean your rims as usual, and use the VARSOL.. becareful not to get any of the Varsol on your brake calipers or discs...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Originally posted by fishtail:
you'll notice that you will be able to wash the brake dust off with a gentle spray of water...
As a side note, be sure that your brakes are cool before you hose off your rims/brakes. The cool water hitting the hot discs can warp them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Actually, I would avoid using a solvent. Just wax your wheels when you wax the car and this will provide the same effect and give you the benefit of protecting the finish on the wheel. Use a sturdy wax like Blitz One. I even use cheaper wax on the wheels because it lasts longer.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
So that takes care of the wheels.....How do you clean the brake dust off the calipers and all the tiny crevices around it then????

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I imagine the loose brake dust may be blown away with compressed air.....But what about the stick-on part???

You can't simply use compressed air to clean ALL the brake dust off the wheels....

·
Registered
511 Posts
The simple fact is brake pads dust. There is no way to keep them perfectly clean. Clean calipers? That is a bit anal and I would imagine you would have to remove the wheel.

Best solution is to get metal masters or Mintex to replace the stock pads. They dust less and work just as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
S38
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing