Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup fellas. I looking to get positive and negative feedback on these shocks. Is it worth spending the money to buy these shocks or is the IS300 going to have the same ride quality using the stock shocks.

So to sum it up pro VS. Cons on stock VS. Tokico HP blues.

Is it worth the $80.00 a peice.

Nothings wrong with the stock shocks. I'm just inquiring about these tokico Blues.

People with these shocks would you give a few words of feed back por favor.

Thanks

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
they are a bit firmer in response compared to stocks (which are also made by tokico)

also you can find them cheaper than 80 each

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
tokico's are good shocks i ordered a set of illuminas today, i got these for 400 shipped so i am sure you can do better than 80 a piece, i saw some on ebay, brand new for like 250.

do the blues have a lifetime warranty? if so, how can you go wrong, i think the illuminas do

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the Tokico HP kit. Both the lowering springs and the shocks. I like 'em. A nice drop although the back is taking its sweet time to settle. I also have the hotchkis sways and those things rock! That's all I have suspension wise. It's tigher but still very drivable. I thought about coilovers or adjustables, but I know I'm never going to adjust them so why bother.

I think I paid like $375 for the kit from www.shox.com

Just the struts are $269 from there.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
glogik said:
I thought about coilovers or adjustables, but I know I'm never going to adjust them so why bother.
thats waht isaid, i wasn't going to chaneg height at all, i might change dampening though, thats why i went with a spring shock combo and save some money

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
i blew my front shocks in a accident....now i need to replace all four...back went out

dealer charged like 95 for one stock shock..was gonna get HP's, but i want to play around with the dampening....so i'ma save for illumina's

·
Registered
42 Posts
i would rather go with koni yellows or bilstein struts.

tokicos are nice in the beginning, but won't hold for a long time from what i've seen from my friends' rides.

$.02

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
i had these shocks on my previous IS with Tein HT springs. I honestly reccomend saving your money and getting the Illumna and not the Blue's. If you want a little better, go with Koni. Bilstein will suck bad with Anything lower than a 0.9 inch drop or 1.0 inch drop. The bilsteins that are made for our cars are NOT sports, they are Heavy Duty's and they are designed to run with stock height and unlowered cars. Putting lowering springs on them is already pushing it.

Save a little bit more and go with Coilovers. I have heard alot of people say the adjustability is pointless, but I personally think its necessary if you really want the car to handle and be tuned to be more nuetral. ALSO, if you get coilovers, save a little more and get the Upper pillow mounts if the set up you want doesnt come with them (Tein SS and Tein HA).

I have been riding on my coilovers for about 1.5 weeks now, and i have the front set at 5 clicks from the left, and the rear set at 7 clicks from the left. It handles amazing. Not too harsh at all, but MUCH stiffer than stock.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
i just put on the tokico hp blues.....as of now, everything is great including the price....for about $60 a piece is very good compared to blistein (~$100 a piece)

i waited till it's time for me to change my stock shocks before i put on my eibach springs and tokico shocks....atleast, this way, i don't feel like i wasted my money on those stock shocks... :wink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
well, i have called all vendors to find out whether they will honor the warranty when the car is lowered more than 1.5" but guess what i found though. only koni yellows are good for the height lowered than 1.5" all the way around. i've confirmed with the koni USA clerk and it kindda makes sense too, because most of aftermarket struts come with their own bump stops that are usually pretty long, meaning that they must be cut in order to install somewhat race springs or something, but the thing is that once you cut those bumpstops, your product will be outta warranty; however, when i bought koni yellows, they didn't come with their own bumpstops, so i called and talked to the same person whom i talked to before regarding to the warranty issue, and the person told me that the koni yellows are meant for whatever the application, meaning that you can lower your ride like 3" using the coilover sleeves or something.

i just wanted to point out that most of all aftermarket struts aren't meant to be lowered than 1.5" except the koni yellows(sports).

if i were you i would definitely save up couple of hundred $$ and get koni yellows, because you know why? they are built last forever, even if they break in the meantime, they have the lifetime warranty.

just my $.02

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
sorry this is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know how the tokico springs compare to the eibach springs when matched with the tokico shocks? i was just lookin around and on shox.com they had both packages.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
its a decent deal, the spring rates are matched to the shock for optimum performance and comfort. i have never dealt with it.

koni vs. tokico

just a thought, konis are an oil shock, and oil gets more viscous as temperatures go up, meaning htat dampening changes as teh car warms up or different summer and winter, i know they are adjustable but still.

gas is less receptive to dampening changes, not to mention when it gets warmer it gets stiffer as the gas expands.
stock shocks are oil and yall might have noticed in the winter your car will ride stiffer than in the summer, or when you first start up it will ride stiffer tahn when it is warm

·
Registered
38 Posts
tokico vs. koni

First, a correction to this previous post, about gas vs. oil...

Oil being forced throught small holes in a piston is the basic mechanism
of all shocks (with the exception of ancient friction based designs).
Gas pressure is used to prevent this oil from foaming - which decreases
it's damping ability. Tokico, Koni, and Bilstein HP shocks are all dual
tube low pressure shocks. Bilstein inverted monotube high pressure shocks are another variant, but not available for the IS300. All shocks
have the problem of cold weather vs. hot weather performance, independent of the gas.

I have personal experience using both Tokico blue HP's and Koni Yellow Sports (on non IS300's):

Tokico blues are a great value in a fixed valving shock. They equate to
setting #4 of 5 in relation to the Illumina. The fit is perfect, since they
are the OEM for Toyota shocks. I've put almost 100K on one set, without
problems. As you can see, the Illumina doesn't offer much additional
damping.

Koni yellows are the most expensive shock available, and the damping range is way higher than the comparable Illumina. Thus it can handle a
lager range of spring stiffness. Fit is good enough, and life is very good.
At full soft settings, I think they come close to a Tokico blue, so we're
talking way stiff for the range, but they cost way more too.

The decision is ultimately what you want the car to be. For track, and
the ability to swap in bone jarring springs to match the track needs
- you need the Koni's. For street, with moderate stiff springs and the need to prevent the spine pounding, Tokico blues are fine, or Illuminas if you like to tinker with settings.

Personally, I'd go with Tokico blue's or Koni yellows. The Illumina's don't
have a range advantage to make them worth it. The Bilstein's are just
a very expensive version of the Tokico blue. They don't employ the famous Bilstein technology of their race shocks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts