Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Both Rx7 and the Z will pump out close to 300 hp and priced below 30K -- How they do that?
They were priced at or over 40K even few years back, which was ridiculous.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am interested to see how the 3.5L V6 Maxima will stack up against the Type-S TL. In turns of driving, I really liked the Maxima SE over the regular TL (they are priced almost exactly the same here in Canada). Has anyone driven both the new Max SE & the CL-S? Other than the horsepower, is the handling of the Acura alot better than the Max or are they similar?

If I haven't set my heart on the IS300, I would seriously consider the Maxima (yes, I know many people find the Max ugly, but it drives pretty good at that price).

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I thought that the 4000GT and Supra were gonna be 2 different cars. The 4000GT being a ridiculous supercar powered by a derivative of the LeMans V8 and the Supra was being built on the Altezza platform and powered by a I6. Anyhow, I really hope that the Supra Turbo will be back soon.

·
Registered
259 Posts
From Article:
The rwd 2+2 sports car should arrive for the 2003 model year. Power comes from a 1.3-liter twin-rotor rotary engine that is expected to generate 280 hp without turbocharging. Insiders predict a sticker price in the $25,000 to $30,000 range, putting it up against the new Nissan Z.

Does anyone else besides me wonder how the hell they're gonna get 215 hp per liter? I understand its a rotary, but even the N/A rx7 didn't make better hp/liter than the S2000 or F355...

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

·
Registered
343 Posts
F=ma,

Here are some rotary facts for you:

- The Racing Beat RX7 that beat some land speed record at Bonneville made 930 horsepower.. it was a 2 liter 3-rotor turbo motor..
- A peripheral port 12A (1.2 liter 2-rotor) can make 270 horsepower (although you could never drive it on the street and you'd need to tach it out to like 15k to make any power)
- Normally aspirated, Mazda made a 4-rotor engine, the 13J-2M that made 630hp @ 9000 RPM on 87 octane (thats roughly 233hp/liter)

Rotaries are cool.. just unreliable when pushed hard, I suppose.

·
8,107 Posts
Rotaries also don't allow variable valve timing-type implimentations, or at least it's extremely difficult to do. They also go through oil like it's going out of style. Don't know what Mazda is thinking, they should realize it's not a feasible alternative for consumer cars. To call them unreliable is quite an understatement.

Originally posted by oh-dawg:
F=ma,

Here are some rotary facts for you:

- The Racing Beat RX7 that beat some land speed record at Bonneville made 930 horsepower.. it was a 2 liter 3-rotor turbo motor..
- A peripheral port 12A (1.2 liter 2-rotor) can make 270 horsepower (although you could never drive it on the street and you'd need to tach it out to like 15k to make any power)
- Normally aspirated, Mazda made a 4-rotor engine, the 13J-2M that made 630hp @ 9000 RPM on 87 octane (thats roughly 233hp/liter)

Rotaries are cool.. just unreliable when pushed hard, I suppose.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I don't know much about the rotary engine, anyone got a link to info on it? I heard they are thirsty engines...how much mpg did the last (3rd I think) gen RX-7s get?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've actualy heard that there is some debate on how displacement is measured on a rotary engine. Many automotive experts say that the 1.3 liter engine in the RX-7 is really 2.6 liters. Which would make the astronomical HP per litre figures more believable. I can make no comment about the reliablity of these engines in stock form, but I can tell once modified they become very unreliable. Any one who has heavily modified one of these engines is familiar with the phrase "blown apex seal".

·
Registered
654 Posts
DAMN YOU INFINITI! DAMN YOU TOO NISSAN! ARGH (Yes, F=Ma, my caps lock key is broken...) NO SKYLINE!? WHY!! WHY??....sob sob...

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have a friend who drives the current model RX-7 (FD-3S). When he drives aggressively or when he's stuck in a traffic jam, he says he gets about 3km/liter which is something around 7mpg.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The new Mazda sports cars plan to use a new type of rotary engine which uses side ports for both the intake and exhaust. Basically Mazda came up with a little "breakthrough" that is allowing them to get the best of all worlds - more hp, less emissions, and better fuel economy from the rotary design.

The old rotary bugaboos of poor reliabiliy and oil burning are all but exorcised from the latest itterations.

The Mazda rotary is a simple, compact, powerful, smooth sweet sounding, high revving wonder of an engine.

It is great that they have been able to create something that can compete reasonably with the "old-school" piston alternatives.

In my mind, the problems still with the rotary are:

1> Fuel efficiency is still less than the best piston engines.
2> Exhaust temperatures are very high so extra care needs to go into the exhaust system design.
3> They are building small(ish) displacement versions which make good power, but have low(ish) torque.
4> Since it is a "different" design it can be a problem to find knowledgable mechanics and parts in all parts of the country.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
also, the new Mazda will have two very cool feature. One is 6 speed sequential shifter, like the one used in the Modena. The other is a yaw/brake bias control invented by McLaren Formula One team but eventually banned by the FIA. Basically you will have 4 paddles on the steering wheel, 2 on each side. One set of paddles are used to control the shifting, and the other set is used to adjust the left/right brake bias. The idea is to have the driver control the brake power on both side so when you enter a corner, you slow down the inside wheels more than the outside, so you can better cornering.
You can read all about this in the recent issue of Automotive Engineering published by SAE.

[From TEG: Those are features on the prototype RX-evolv that might not see production. Lets cross our fingers that they do.]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited August 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well any mention of a Turbo on any engine and all bets are off...

But I see what you mean with the 233 hp/liter thing... hmmmmm I wonder. They shouldn't really consider the rotary among the other combustion engines. It just isn't on the same level. (good or bad) Its also not a reciprocating engine either.

With all these improvements to rotaries as stated above, why would anyone want anything else? I mean why've piston engines destroyed the rotary engine market?

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

·
Registered
343 Posts
Rotaries just left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.. I believe it was GM that tried using it before Mazda but that was quickly scrapped.. also the early rotaries all had problems with reliability.. but one thing that TEG said about the exhaust temp.. eventually, the high heat just kills the motor.. ditto on the gas mileage.. I was making a conservative 260-280hp in my 2nd gen and I'd regularly get 13mph no matter how I drove.. also the idea of a low-emissions rotary engine makes me laugh.. but I wish Mazda lots of luck..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
oh-dawg
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing