Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard before that a 245 horsepower motor will find its way into the GS300. I wonder if that motor will find it's way into the IS300. With 245 horsepower, that car should pull 0-60 times into the mid 6 range (for the auto) and maybe lower 6 range or upper 5 range with the manual transmission. I forsee this engine replacement as a possibility if Audi has high output 6's and possibly V8's in their A4's. 245 hp would make the IS300 even more competitive with the 330i BMW.
Eric......

·
Registered
113 Posts
Eric, wouldn't that be nice. The IS300 with 245HP. It would make so many people in here very happy campers. The more HP the better I guess.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I would give up that extra hp for the GPS. Hey, maybe I'll get both next year! BTW, are you taking your first drive June 14?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brad,
My friend is the one that placed the order, but both of us will be at Lexus of Rockville the day the car is available for a test drive... I forsee in the future: 245hp; GPS; and a manual transmission....

Eric.....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Mygod, that would be wonderful.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brad,
I really do hope Audi puts more powerful engines in their A4s. My sister's 2.8 Quattro has nice passing power, once at speed, but it's sooooo sloooow off the line. A v8 (or W8) would be great and would put that car in a class of its own because I don't forsee Lexus or BMW putting V8 engines in their IS or 3 series.... Although... the upcoming M3 was supposed to have a V8, they stuck with a 6 cylinder....
Eric.....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Audi and VW have impressed the hell out of me for the past several years. I really look forward to their products. It's nice to see such creativity and execution.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if Lexus will install rear counter weights to counteract its heavy nose?
Eric

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I meant was whether Lexus will install counter weights for the current car to counteract its (iron block) engine....
Eric....

·
Registered
74 Posts
A 245hp IS300 would be cool. For those of you that have an extra $1200, I know a mod that should produce close to 237 horses and 242 torque (judging from results from the GS300)! It's made by a company called swift-racing(.com), basically its an upgraded ECU (add-on) and a High Flow air intake (bolt-on kit). Since the IS300 only weights 3270 it really benifits from the extra power.

From the estimates with a program called cartest (seems very accurate) It comes up with the following results. From 0-30,40,50,60 to 100.

Stock:
2.2,3.7,4.9,7.1,9.0,11.3,14.9,18.5 1/4 mile 15.3

HFI+ECU
2.1,3.4,4.5,6.5,8.3,10.3,13.5,16.7 1/4 mile 14.8

(Results with the HFI+ECU is with light power-braking to 1400rpm, if the IS300 idles at 900rpm then the 0-60 is about 6.7 without power-braking)

if your buying a current IS300 its nice to know you have the option of tapping out a little more power from the car (I just hope the HP and Torque increase is just as good as the GS). A good exhaust would benefit performance greatly with this mod as well...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IS300 Fan
My GS400 is totally stock. If I wanted a little more performance, would you suggest a K&N airfilter and HKS exhausts? What options do I have? Thanks...
Eric....

·
Registered
74 Posts
EricK,

Theirs already a ECU+HFI kit for your GS400!
Performance gains: +30HP and +40ft/lb torque. Price $1299.00, when clublexus.com puts up its site again, join as a member of their forum and you'll get a discount.

I'll try and get a 0-60 figure for you...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot for the info.... Where could I purchase this kit? Would this kit void my existing factory Waranty? Also how much of a performance increase would there be? thanks
Eric.....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Did anyone happen to read the article on performance chips in Road and Track? Almost none of them dyno'd at their claim hp gains. With that said, you usually feel a difference in the seat of the pants. The new engine mangement systems should already be making constant adjustments for max. perf. which is why the new generation systems don't benefit as much from chips. Most of the test results were in the 8-10hp range at the rear wheels, if that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
More information is at: http://www.swift-racing.com/engine/ecu.htm you'll also want to take a look at the dyno chart and pictures.

The intake of the kit is a K&N filter...

The results for performance is 0-60 5.4 and 1/4 mile 14.1 seconds (without power-braking or anything, you should be able to achieve this on any regular day)! A good exhuast, Borla Oval Carbon Fiber are popular among GS400 owners, will drop .1-2 seconds on the 0-60 and 1/4 mile...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
1> It is almost unheard of to add "counterweights" to make a car closer to 50/50 weight distribution.
Weight hurts performance and fuel mileage so
should be banished even if the weight distribution is unqueal.
To get a more even weight distribution they
need to MOVE weight to the back (like put the
battery in the trunk) or remove weight from
the front like using a lighter aluminum
block engine, or switching to more
aluminum parts like an aluminum hood.

2> They say that the IS300 will have less
power than the GS300 since the IS300 has
single rear exhaust and less space in
the engine bay for a big header. So
if the GS300 goes to 245hp and they apply
some of those improvements to the IS300
we still might get less (like 235 or something).

3> Some ECU upgrade chips do improve performance, but by sacrificing other
things. The factory desgins the ECU with
alot of compromises in mind:
* fuel economy
* emissions
* drivability
* runs on varying grades of gas
* works well at different altitudes
* performance
* engine longevity

Aftermarket ECUs (and chips) can
move things around
(like more performance but worse gas mileage
and worse emissions).

In some cases the changes may void the
manufacturers warantee or be illegal
(in particular due to emissions).

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
74 Posts
S38,

Swift-Racing has dyno charts posted up at their site to back up their claims. At clublexus many GS400 have clearly said they feel a difference and improved overall ride, I don't know if they have any G-tech test results though. Performance gains are probably going to be a little less than what the cartest results though, since the doesn't deal with the HP at the rear wheels... I'll post if I come across any g-tech/time slip results. Keep in mind that its more than just an ECU. It has a heat-sheild, 7" air intake, and the ECU programmed at optimal settings.

Don't worry about fuel milage, it's about the same. I've read a GS400 owner saying that the HFI+ECU system improved milage slightly. Dinan mods for BMW also claim on their website that their system improve mileage also... If your driving differently (faster) than usually after you get this mod, then it may seem that it worsens gas milage, but if you drive as regular it should be close to the same.

Contact info: www.swift-racing.com
(301) 384-7319
e-mail: [email protected]

EricK, theirs a guy named Mohammed that answers e-mails and questions. He knows just about everything... You'll want to speak to him about stuff like warranty and emissions...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks a lot for the info... I appreciate it. Does anyone know the advantages of an Inline 6 as opposed to a V6? (if there are any)... 330i and Lexus IS300 both have Inline 6's, however the Audi A4 2.8 has a V6...
Another thing I was wondering was why Mercedes Benz when down to 3 valves per cylinder whereas Audi on the other hand went up to 5 valves per cylinder. That doesn't make any sense to me. I know that Mercedes's new 3 valve technology have made the engines more efficient. The Audis as well as ferrari's F355 have 5 valves per cylinder. Hmmmmmmmmmmm......
Eric.....

[From TEG:
An inline 6 is generally more smooth than
a v6 because of balance. An inline 6 can
be harder to "package" in a car because it
is much longer. A supercharger fits nicely
in the "V" of a V-6... TRD has a supercharger
for Toyota V6s but not for Inline6 engines.
Mercedes got sued over the 3-vavle twin-plug
technology because some inventor had a patent
over the specific design. It was a bit of
a breakthrough in terms of helping fuel mileage
and reducing emissions.
There are engines with 6 valve heads. More
valves tend to help engine breathing, but
it is more expense and more things to adjust,
so there is a point (perhaps more than 4)
where it just gets to be "too much".]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I have heard the inline 6 is smoother than a v6. From an engineering standpoint (layman's take, mind you) it seems logical.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts