Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've recently been experiencing an electrical problem with my 01 Is300. I was having a problem with it my IS not charging my batteries so I replaced my alternator / battery with no sucess. I've went through through everything and checked my terminals and battery terminals to find that my 120A alternator fuse ended up being burnt. The fuse itself was fine but the actual connector of it was burned and the plastic around it was melted.

I tried to remedy this by relocating (?) the fuse outside of the fuse box with a new fuse. I essentially took the two terminals that supply power to the 120A and moved it outside the fuse box in hopes I'd get it running enough to at least get it to a shop. The car now has the issue that it will not crank at all or even attempt to and when attempting to crank it all I lose power to all the center console, all the dash lights stay on.

I already know this was a beyond butchered attempt at fixing the issue and I should've probably towed it to a shop from the beginning but I'm struggling to even find an entire fuse box with a wiring loom for sale anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas or any shop suggestions that could potentially help remedy this? I'm in the ATL area.

Here is a video rundown of the issue.

·
5,432 Posts
Bad ignition switch. Not the key cylinder. The electrical contacts. That is what I would try. Other than that. I might take it to a buddy Bradley that still is working at Nalley Lexus in Marietta.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It depends on which side of the fuse is melted. There is a 40A fuse connected to the alternator wire for charging that runs through the ignition switch. The ignition switch also would stop the car from cranking.

On the 120a atleast the positive was the side that ended up being melted. When I get off work tomorrow I'll give the 40a a double check but if my memory serves me right there was no problems with it when I pulled it to check earlier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bad ignition switch. Not the key cylinder. The electrical contacts. That is what I would try. Other than that. I might take it to a buddy Bradley that still is working at Nalley Lexus in Marietta.
I'll have to give them a call and see if he still works there then.

Random question aswell, but is the fuse box a part of the engine harness or is it a seperate thing by itself? I've been trying to source one online but the only ones I've seen are all cut and splicing it sounds like an absolute nightmare waiting to happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts