Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a chance to do so spirited driving up in tilden park on the twisties. it was great! however, now i notice that when i make a slow U-turn or a sharp left turn from a stop, i hear a grinding/rubbing noise from the front left wheel well. i thought i was being paranoid, but a couple of passengers have also noted it. any ideas of what it could be?
oh, my is has about 1800 miles on it, no lsd or heated seats. thanks!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Check to see if any of the plastic "shrouding" in, around and under the engine bay and wheel wells has come loose and is now rubbing your rims/tires under extreme turning.

Does it only occur when turning or does it occur when going straight as well?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked in the wheel well for anything rubbing against the tire, but came up with nothing. i do hear/feel the grinding slightly when i start from a complete stop, but nowhere to the extent i hear during a u-turn or tight turn from a stop.

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
I brought mine into a dealer with a similar noise. They just told me that it was the winter tires which is alot noisier than stock tires due to the tread pattern. Not sure if they are BS-ing me or not.

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Sounds like a severe case of flatulence. Better have a tech check out your rear-end immediately...(you might want to make sure he doesn't go near your dipstick)...

------------------
2001 SBM/Black IS300 w/Navigation
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i Titanium Silver w/Black
1999 Ducati SS 750(worked)
2000 Razor Scooter w/Wheelie Bar
1982 Captain America Big Wheel

[This message has been edited by LexArkana (edited February 20, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It's hard to determine what is the cause w/o more information.

You should take it to the dealer and have him look at it. I just hope you can replicate the sound when you take it back to the dealer and take a technician for a test drive.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I get the same noise. I believe its from my snowtires rubbing slightly on the sidewalls. I'll check it out again and let you know. It only happens when I am turning from a stop and making a sharp turn.

------------------

2001 Lexus IS300
Black Onyx/Fully Equipped
Dont start none and there wont be none!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies! i forgot to mention that this is with the stock 17" rims/potenzas... besides rubbing against the wheel well, what else could cause this grinding noise? brakes? warped rotors? also, it didn't do this until i drove it rather hard through some curved roads with heavy use on the brakes. all of this outside the break-in period at ~1800 miles...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds a lot like a drive axle/diff/or CV joint (in an FWD car at least)... check to see if your axles have broken any seals or have been damaged in another way...

-Alt

------------------
Ashraf Shabudin / Ampman Audio Marketing Director, TeamAMP Director

·
Registered
39 Posts
WF, i have the same exact problem. I have the 17's (low-pro) and when i got around 1500 miles(when i drove from philly to boston) it started to make this wierd grinding sound like you described. I'm goin to take it in the dealer asap. At first i thought it was my brakes but it seems to be the tires or something else. If ya find out what it is, email me or i will do the same. [email protected]

------------------
'67 Mustang Coupe - California Package
'95 Eclipse - Nothin Special
'01 IS300 - Black on Black - Fully Loaded

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Generally, one possible cause of noise when turning is a worn wheel bearing. The noise is a humming or in severe cases a "clacking" whenever the car is turned. Sometimes the noise is speed sensitive, in other words it gets louder when the car speeds up. It is sometimes direction sensitive as well, gets louder when the car turns. Usually when you turn the car in a particular direction, the wheel bearing is loaded or unloaded causing the noise.

However, which such few miles on the odometer it is unlikely to be a wheel bearing unless the OEM was a defect. Moreover, as I gather from your previous post, the noise occurs only under severe turns (i.e. u-turns). A wheel bearing would make noise under any kind of turn, severe or otherwise.

Grab what you believe to be the noise wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and try to rattle the wheel. If there is any play, it is a wheel bearing. Again, it is unlikely since there are so few miles on your car.

Again, it's best to take it to the dealer rather than have us (board members) diagnose the cause w/o even seeing your car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the help guys. i was hoping it was a tire problem, but it is sounding more mechanical in nature now. i'll keep you posted as to what the tech says... mismajor, i'll email you if i find out anything. if you get a heads-up, please let me know here..

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
If you turn your wheels completely to any one side, I hear a "buzzing" sound ? This happens even when I am not moving so I think it is expected, but I dont think this is what you are talking about is it ?

Reefa

·
8,880 Posts
I hear scratching noise when backing up and steering wheel is turned all the way to the right. I thought it was because of aftermarket 16" rims and snow tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts