Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i came across a sunoco gas station by kennedy commons, i was surprised to find that it was full-serve. are you suppose to tip these guys? i gave him $2 for a $40 fill. i never knew full-serve still exists

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
In the city of Richmond Vancouver, they made it a law that all service stations are full service only. They have no self serve at all.

It is sometimes painful to wait for service in these places. It will make you appreciate self serve.

As for tipping, full service usually has a higher pump price than self serve. Save your money, your already paying for the service.

Digger08

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I once drove into a gas station where one side was self and other was full service. Accidently went to the full side, got out and started filling my car. Buddy comes out and start talking to me telling me to stop, and that its his job. I told him to go back inside, cause he wasnt gonna touch the car. Those guys are useless twits who probly would have banged the nozzle into the car or overfilled it or something. I really dont trust anyone with my car. not even the dealerships.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i don't know if its still a law, but ALL gas stations in Oregon are full service. you could not pump your gas if you wanted to.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Digger is right, although it's Richmond, BC =P

most Vancouver stations still have one bay that's full-serve, and all full-serve pumps charge a few cents more. when there are big line-ups ppl get confused and pull in the full-serve and start filling themselves for the higher price

u do have to watch out for the full-serve guys, i pulled in and asked for a fill of 92 and for some reason i felt like i had to watch the guy... lo and behold he picks up the 86/87 pump so i told him to stop. can't blame them, 90% of the population just uses 86/87

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I work at one here in the states (CA). We dont get tips but theres a diffrence in the price. Full serve is 30cents more.

you'd be surprised though how many people go to full serve in this town, granted its a very wealthy little city but shit I have better ways to spend my money than go to full serve.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
My father used to operate a Shell full-serve gas bar awhile back and honestly, our policy was to be at-par with prices at self-serve. Usually when you see a full-serve with a self-serve, these are normally higher in prices. Despite the fact that full-serve stations are a few cents higher than self-serves, let me reassure you that the attendants employed there do NOT get that increased portion as tips. The company (i.e. Shell Canada) will often pocket such portions, while the majority of society believes that these attendants do receive this as tips, although it is NOT so. Most attendants are paid minimum wages; however, it is often very hard to find employees to do these extreme jobs (especially in the cold and hot temperatures) that quite often, the employer will have to pay out the difference from their very own pockets.

Basically, these attendants are very similar to waiters/waitresses. We work in the same customer service industry and should deserve some respect as well. We provide a service (clean windows, check oil, top off washer fluid etc.), and it should be customary to tip, just like tipping the waiter/waitress for bringing you food. Yes, I do work there to help out every now and then. Yes, I have been treated like shit at times. Yes, I have educated quite a few individuals too ... yes, I have been watched like a hawk at what I do, treated like a slave, been told HOW to do my job. Yes, I know how to pump gas and not damage ones vehicle (I have served all models of Ferraris, Lamboghinis, Maybachs, Porsches, Rolls Royces etc.). Yes, I know how to operate a pump nozzle ... and frankly, many people in general, should really put themselfves in another persons shoes. If you're not comfortable going to a full serve (for those who have a choice), then you shouldn't be there in the first place.

Don't treat another being as YOUR slave. Don't talk smack and please do unto others what you would want others to do to you. If you don't want to tip, don't tip. Be nice. Smile. Just don't make the attendant clean your windows and check your oil to get your few cents increase in price worthwhile, especially when you just had your car washed and your oil changed. I know most people do this, because most people do think that they are providing the attendant with tip based on the total fuel price; however, remember that this is not so. Get the gas without the extras and leave without tipping. That's fine. Please be nice!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I once drove into a gas station where one side was self and other was full service. Accidently went to the full side, got out and started filling my car. Buddy comes out and start talking to me telling me to stop, and that its his job. I told him to go back inside, cause he wasnt gonna touch the car. Those guys are useless twits who probly would have banged the nozzle into the car or overfilled it or something. I really dont trust anyone with my car. not even the dealerships.
Did that pump cost more than the self-serve section? Sometimes I see Full Serve gas stations that have the same price of a Self Serve station across the street. But usually even if you have Full and Self Serve at the same station the Full Serve pumps cost a bit more.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
i came across a sunoco gas station by kennedy commons, i was surprised to find that it was full-serve. are you suppose to tip these guys? i gave him $2 for a $40 fill. i never knew full-serve still exists
Yeah... full service gas stations are a rarity. And I hardly ever use them. The most I typically see is a self-serve gas station with a row of full-service pumps... and usually that row is empty due to the higher cost. To be honest if I do arrive at a full-service station... I usually tell the attendant I'll pump the gas myself. To be honest I've never had any problems from them in regards to this. Most will jokingly have the attitude... "Go ahead... it's less work for me..." :) They may still hang around and chat... or if I for some reason am paying with cash (a rarity) I'll give them the money while I'm pumping so I can take off right after.

In all honesty I've never tipped one of these guys for pumping my gas... I guess I never saw the reason to. Then again they don't go thru all those things you see in the movies about checking your oil, tires, windshield washer fluids, cleaning your windows etc... and to be honest I don't want them too. Maybe if somebody did do all those other items ON TOP of pumping the gas then they deserve a tip. But for just pumping gas... I dunno. When I goto McDonnalds I don't tip the teens there for getting my food. A restaurant is a bit different because they are waiting on you hand and foot for atleast an hour. But obviously if you want to tip... there's nothing wrong with doing that. I was listening to a talk radio station today where even at a self serve station... if their cost of gas was $38.74... they'd give the cashier $40 and tell them to keep the change.

So do as you wish... but I don't believe tipping should be required.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Not that I go, but the once in a blue moon when I go I do tip. Also, no tipping at McDonald's as I have to pay at cash (that is the general rule of thumb I go by), not that I frequent McD's.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
My father used to operate a Shell full-serve gas bar awhile back and honestly, our policy was to be at-par with prices at self-serve. Usually when you see a full-serve with a self-serve, these are normally higher in prices. Despite the fact that full-serve stations are a few cents higher than self-serves, let me reassure you that the attendants employed there do NOT get that increased portion as tips. The company (i.e. Shell Canada) will often pocket such portions, while the majority of society believes that these attendants do receive this as tips, although it is NOT so. Most attendants are paid minimum wages; however, it is often very hard to find employees to do these extreme jobs (especially in the cold and hot temperatures) that quite often, the employer will have to pay out the difference from their very own pockets.

Basically, these attendants are very similar to waiters/waitresses. We work in the same customer service industry and should deserve some respect as well. We provide a service (clean windows, check oil, top off washer fluid etc.), and it should be customary to tip, just like tipping the waiter/waitress for bringing you food. Yes, I do work there to help out every now and then. Yes, I have been treated like shit at times. Yes, I have educated quite a few individuals too ... yes, I have been watched like a hawk at what I do, treated like a slave, been told HOW to do my job. Yes, I know how to pump gas and not damage ones vehicle (I have served all models of Ferraris, Lamboghinis, Maybachs, Porsches, Rolls Royces etc.). Yes, I know how to operate a pump nozzle ... and frankly, many people in general, should really put themselfves in another persons shoes. If you're not comfortable going to a full serve (for those who have a choice), then you shouldn't be there in the first place.

Don't treat another being as YOUR slave. Don't talk smack and please do unto others what you would want others to do to you. If you don't want to tip, don't tip. Be nice. Smile. Just don't make the attendant clean your windows and check your oil to get your few cents increase in price worthwhile, especially when you just had your car washed and your oil changed. I know most people do this, because most people do think that they are providing the attendant with tip based on the total fuel price; however, remember that this is not so. Get the gas without the extras and leave without tipping. That's fine. Please be nice!
I get huge tips, that could just be because of the economic status of the city's population but I avg. 10$-30$ a shift on tips.

Reactions: LEXIGRL

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I get huge tips, that could just be because of the economic status of the city's population but I avg. 10$-30$ a shift on tips.
We serve an average of ~500 customers a day and these folks are all cheapskates! I suppose the richer you are, the stingier one becomes. (wealthy area by the way) ... Usually from my findings, lower to middle class folks are the ones who generally tip. That right there says a great deal!

·
Registered
16 Posts
in the GTA, full service stations are slowly becoming a dying bread. back when i had a part time job, i worked as an attendent. the flow of customers was very low when compared to the self service side. even though the gas was 5 cents a liter more, the owner prob lost money keeping it open.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts