Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I know this is going to give everyone at least 5 rwhp's....j/k :lol:

I'm not saying everyone on here should do it... Basically it is kinda like FOG mod... You rewire to get a better use of the bulb.. on Fog mod you rewire the power source to Fog switch....

All you do is disconnect wire connector from black box next to the air box... it says "Hot do not touch" .. and run a 10 gauge size wire into connector ends to close the circuit..

Basically the black box is a power reducer... So by-passing it actually turns your DRL's output into normal light bulbs... and when you use your Highbeams, they light up to the regular bright Highbeam power... it does not interfere with your highbeams at all...

But for night time driving it will not light up the road for you that much... But you will be using your HID's anyways...
It's a cool MOD of you have Fog mod for early evening or cloudy day driving..

-It definetly gets rid of the ugly yellowness the stock DRL's produce...

-Take a look at the garage door reflection....

-Here is a few side by side pics... My car with Falcon HID style bulbs at normal power next to a stock 03' with factory DRL mode...

View comparison pictures in below link:

Link to the photo Album

Joe Z :chill:

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
Mine have been running fine for a week, with the stock bulbs.

Joe- did you figure out a way to seal it up yet?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just wonder, i know that the DRL uses the high beam at low power which then make yellow color(even on Xtreme white or blue)

Joe you make the DRL at the greater power to create the white lights and still produce normal high beams, would it mean that the high beam would be blue??

Or should i ask, you do change the high beam bulps right?

Thanks alot,

viz

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Hey Joe, looks good.
I notice when I do use my high beams, they point up up to the sky. Do the unfiltered DRLs shine up for you too? I ask because my lights have been worked on, so I dont know if mine are jacked up or not.

Here's another question.
Ever since I did the fog mod Ive thought, It would be cool to do the no DRLs at all and just have the fogs. I know people have done this. Would be cool to have a switch to turn on and off the DRLs so we can do that cool Cadillac CTS look (Fogs on only).

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
thedon said:
Hey Joe, looks good.
I notice when I do use my high beams, they point up up to the sky. Do the unfiltered DRLs shine up for you too? I ask because my lights have been worked on, so I dont know if mine are jacked up or not.

Here's another question.
Ever since I did the fog mod Ive thought, It would be cool to do the no DRLs at all and just have the fogs. I know people have done this. Would be cool to have a switch to turn on and off the DRLs so we can do that cool Cadillac CTS look (Fogs on only).
if you really wanted to get rid of the drls, why wouldn't you just unplug the connector from the pull down resistor? you can also put a switch between the shorted loop, in the same way that this full power mod is done, if you want..

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
Aubie83 said:
I dont want them period. I just took my whole box out. Screw DRL's 8)
haha, except you could have problems with your insurance company in case of an accident, since the DRLs are a standard safety feature...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
irv_usc said:
Aubie83 said:
I dont want them period. I just took my whole box out. Screw DRL's 8)
haha, except you could have problems with your insurance company in case of an accident, since the DRLs are a standard safety feature...

Just unplug the DRLs, if you get into an accident, hurry up an plug it back in, takes 2 seconds! lol :wink:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks for the info joe...here are some pics

Low power drl:

High power drl:

Reflection low drl:

Reflection high drl:

Wiring:

Electrical tape covering:

If it dont show up click on pics in my sig...

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
Roadstar said:
UCLA-IS300 said:
unplug the drl...and close the circuit with a wire....it's as easy as it sounds.
ya, i finally did it. thanks

hey joe, what type of HID bulb u r using now? :)
hid? he has the stock hid bulbs. if you mean the drl bulbs, he uses Falcon 'xenon' 9005's. they're about 25-30 bucks a set.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AzNrAcEr said:
Thanks for the info joe...here are some pics

If it dont show up click on pics in my sig...
Hey great job....!!!!

Now if you want that bright blue/white look to them ...
buy a set of HID/Xenon "style" bulbs... any you wont have the yellowish look anymore..

Joe 8)

1 - 20 of 186 Posts
About this Discussion
185 Replies
70 Participants
ae86fanatic
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing