Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
K fellas, I FINALLY got around to doing the fuel return line for my car. All went well, fired her up and yep LEAK!!!!

It appears to be coming from the hole I drilled on the fuel pump assembly. It looks like its a hair too big. I have the fitting with a vitton oring on top and the lock nut underneath. Any suggestions on what I could use to plug it up?

I was thinking on putting fuel putty all around the fitting on the outside. Thoughts?

I know, I know....major

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i thought of a bigger fitting, but the gap is extremely tiny...i mean you can barely tell. I'm going to pull it back out and retighten the nut underneath. Fuel Epoxy huh...i figured that is what fuel putty was, but i'll check it out tonight.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
haha Leo said the same things I did.
Wish there were another way around it....you're going to spend $ on fittings or $ on a new mechanism from the boneyard. :( Unless the putty will give you peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
The whole putty idea kinda putty my mind a little. I can understand that getting a new assembly is $$ but it is fuel, let not play around with fire (literally).

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The whole putty idea kinda putty my mind a little. I can understand that getting a new assembly is $$ but it is fuel, let not play around with fire (literally).
I feel the same way....however, the gap is extremely tiny. I'd like to give the epoxy a try first. a 4.00 tube can't hurt to try. Worst case...yes I'll just get another assembly/lid off a junk yard.

I appreciate the reminder though.....I'd hate to be a twin turbo'ed fireball down the highway....:(

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
I feel the same way....however, the gap is extremely tiny. I'd like to give the epoxy a try first. a 4.00 tube can't hurt to try. Worst case...yes I'll just get another assembly/lid off a junk yard.

I appreciate the reminder though.....I'd hate to be a twin turbo'ed fireball down the highway....:(
I know there have been guys that had been able successful with epoxy but my highest recommendation would be to avoid if possible. Just keep in mind that with fuel, the liquid form of gasoline isn't highly ignitable as it's vapor form. A small leak and a small spark is all it take to go kaboom.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Don't scare me like that John! My car reeks of gasoline. I can't find any leaks it's just the braided line stink so bad. My garage smells like an Exxon refinement plant.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im going to try to form a wasp nest of epoxy around that fitting...LOL but you are correct. I may do this temporarily until I find another assembly and do it right....

thank you much sir! your concern is noted and appreciated :approve:

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Don't scare me like that John! My car reeks of gasoline. I can't find any leaks it's just the braided line stink so bad. My garage smells like an Exxon refinement plant.
Leo, I know once you told me what kind of lines you had but can you refresh my memory? Maybe there's a fracture somewhere inside the braids that is causing a minor leakage.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Leo, I know once you told me what kind of lines you had but can you refresh my memory? Maybe there's a fracture somewhere inside the braids that is causing a minor leakage.
It's always been like this since day 1 of getting my car to run after the turbo install. It's pretty much AN-6 braided stainless steel line on the fuel rail to the regulator and from the regulator to the bulkhead fitting. Depending on the weather the lines would literally stink, hotter days smell worst than colder days. If I stuck my nose about 3" away from the line I could smell gas fumes. I don't see any place of leaks with the rear seat off and near the fuel pressure regulator or fuel rail. I left marks on the line prior to putting the fittings on and made sure the line didn't move after I assembled it to the fitting.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
It sounds like your fuel is getting too hot and condesating through the lines. I don't quite see any reason why braided lines will reek of fuel when the stock rubber doesn't expose a hint of fuel. Could be a restriction somewhere or possible too high of a fuel pressure? Anyone else experience fuel odors? I haven't dealt with braided lines so I am not sure if this is a common issue or not. But generally these lines shouldn't even by the porsporus (sp?) to allow the fuel to penatrate. Braided lines are made to withstand high fuel pressure and fuel ingredients....no?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Braided lines do do this. I used various O rings from the auto parts stores. Currently, there is a black rubber O ring on there....seems to be sealing pretty good. I have had to go back in there several times to get the right combination.....lol.

As for the pump housing, I get mine off ebay for around $35-50 depending on the auction and who's hungry ;) I have like three spares just in case!

If anyone is interested, I'm currently in the process of fabbing up a PHR like pump hanger for multiple pumps. Their's is like $400 and I'm trying to get mine in the $175-200 range. If I get some interest, I'll do up a few. I already have the round top plate and the hanger. I just have to get the connectors and the level sender. Let me know guys.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
I would be interested. Mark from Clubna-t wants around the same but I would have to cough up a setup fee.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have the SS line. I never had any gas smell issues. Make sure you put the Viton O-ring on the outside of the fuel pump assembly. The bulkhead fitting needs to press against the O-ring to seal. It's useless to put on the inside of the tank because the fuel will just slowly seep up through the threads. Do it this way and you won't have any leaks or smells. I think if you have any serious gas odors in the garage, then it's more likely you have a micro-leak somewhere rather than the rubber line seeping out.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I would be interested. Mark from Clubna-t wants around the same but I would have to cough up a setup fee.
OK, the top will have provisions for either single feed or dual feed and single return AN fittings. I'm sourcing the connector as we speak, so I'm not sure exactly how it's going to look. Using the stock connector is an option, but I really would like to up the wire gauge which would require using an aftermarket connector. The fittings on the bottom of the top plate will be 'barb' style so you can clamp onto them with rubber hose. Hopefully this will give a cost effective solution to modding the stock housing.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Its a well documented fact that braided SS hose line 'seaps' fuel vapor odor. Evidently, some noses are more sensitive then others. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Its a well documented fact that braided SS hose line 'seaps' fuel vapor odor. Evidently, some noses are more sensitive then others. ;)
All the coke I sniff is affecting my sinuses, lol. I have been around a few fuel setup that has SS lines and never had a hint of odor, but again maybe it is me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts