Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a fuel pump that is a direct swap to upgrade for our stock ones? lke walbro or holley? I know phr has a kit that supports the tt pump. But i was thinking there must be other options.

·
Registered
580 Posts
What is your use? The stock pump flows very well, infact I have been able to support 300+rwhp with the stock pump. It really depends on your needs. If you are turbo/super/nitrous and using larger or extra injectors you can use the stock pump into the 300rwhp range. If you are doing turbo/super/nitrous with raised fuel pressure (i.e. adjustable rate of rise regulator) then you will need a pump. If you are doing anything N/A, you will not need a fuel pump upgrade.

As far as kits for the IS, nobody makes any as far as I know. You could always pm me I might have a couple of ideas for you.

[email protected]

A-lex-us said:
Is there a fuel pump that is a direct swap to upgrade for our stock ones? lke walbro or holley? I know phr has a kit that supports the tt pump. But i was thinking there must be other options.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
the phr kit is nice, except it will leak from the bolt holes if you don't seal them with toyota-bond

-gte

A-lex-us said:

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
just an fyi...i think walboro (spelling???) is owned by holley now...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Another FYI, Walbro are very loud. I know a few people that have used them and they all comment on the noise they make. You can hear them over the exhaust on a few cars I've seen (full 3" exhausts, with high flow muffler)

I don't know how the flow is, but I know a lot of people like the twin turbo fuel pump from the MkIV Supra's. I know a lot of people that have supported a lot of power off the TT pumps. I'm sure you're probably using the MkIV NA fuel pump in the IS, but don't quote me on this, just a guess. Anyway, the MkIV one is very quiet and very strong as fuel pumps go. I even know one guy running it on a Talon, pushing out an AWD 400 AWHP!

·
Registered
140 Posts
hehe... the Walbro pump does have that really high pitched whine. You get used to it as long as the radio is on. It's a nice pump that's relatively cheap (around $100). A lot of the DSM people use them. I think Walbro just makes pumps for Holley, instead of Holley owning them.

I've also heard good things about the Supra TT fuel pump. Supposedly it flows more than the Walbro 255, but its about double the cost of the Walbro.

·
Registered
580 Posts
John Carnes said:
Another FYI, Walbro are very loud. I know a few people that have used them and they all comment on the noise they make. You can hear them over the exhaust on a few cars I've seen (full 3" exhausts, with high flow muffler)
I've had the same experiance. In my rx7, I started with a walbro and it was way to loud, then I switched to a tt supra pump, and it was much quieter. In the lexus tank however, you cannot hear a walbro pump. The stock bracket is very insulated, so if you go with a walbro, you won't have to worry about the noise in the lexus.

The twin turbo supra pump is bad *ss, but it will not fit in the stock bracket at all. You can't even mod the stock bracket to work with the tt pump. The only way to use a tt pump is to buy the powerhouse bracket.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
just watch out for the GAS guage problem.. my gas gauge does not work correctly after it was installed... and still does not work right...I have a 255 walboro pump

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
stickninja said:
hehe... the Walbro pump does have that really high pitched whine. You get used to it as long as the radio is on. It's a nice pump that's relatively cheap (around $100). A lot of the DSM people use them. I think Walbro just makes pumps for Holley, instead of Holley owning them.

I've also heard good things about the Supra TT fuel pump. Supposedly it flows more than the Walbro 255, but its about double the cost of the Walbro.
hmm...yeah...maybe you're right... :) supras suck tho...don't use supra parts...heh... jk...

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Do all upgraded fuel pumps leak that gas smell bad. My friend has an upgraded pump in his eclipse and you can smell it bad :-?

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
before i answer, 10:1 he installed the pump himself, or had his "expert mechanic" friend install it. lmk

-gte

Aubie83 said:
Do all upgraded fuel pumps leak that gas smell bad. My friend has an upgraded pump in his eclipse and you can smell it bad :-?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
IS300GTE said:
before i answer, 10:1 he installed the pump himself, or had his "expert mechanic" friend install it. lmk

-gte

Aubie83 said:
How easy/hard is it to change the pump on these cars? The reason I'm asking, is cause when I get the PLPL stage II, I plan on installing it myself, and it comes with an upgraded pump.

I changed the pump on my old Daytona to a Walbro type, and it was somewhat complicated, in that I had to drop the tank to get it in and out.

Can anyone comment on how easy it is on the IS?

Thanks!

Kane

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
if you go the straight walboro bolt in route it isn't *too* hard. i'll tell you whats a bitch, putting 2 of them in there and making that work

-gte

Kanine21 said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte

Aubie83 said:
How easy/hard is it to change the pump on these cars? The reason I'm asking, is cause when I get the PLPL stage II, I plan on installing it myself, and it comes with an upgraded pump.

I changed the pump on my old Daytona to a Walbro type, and it was somewhat complicated, in that I had to drop the tank to get it in and out.

Thanks!

Kane

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
IS300GTE said:
if you go the straight walboro bolt in route it isn't *too* hard. i'll tell you whats a bitch, putting 2 of them in there and making that work

-gte

Kanine21 said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte

Aubie83 said:

Thanks!

Kane
I have some 2001 IS300 FSM's on order, so they'll be here before the PLP S/C.

Can you tell me if I have to drop the tank or anything?

I *think* the pump that comes with the PLP is an AC Delco unit, from what Mike listed in the parts list.

Tandom fuel pumps GTE? I bet that was as fun as shitting glass! :lol:

Thanks in advance!

Kane

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
i'll pm you some stuff

dropping the tank requires tipping the nose of the diff down, or doing alot of 2 person acrobatics to work around it (which may not even work on the autos)

-gte

·
Registered
387 Posts
Can you go about putting a supplementary inline pump to help with the stock in-tank unit? Just a thought.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
with modifications, and only if you install a return line

bluelex said:
Can you go about putting a supplementary inline pump to help with the stock in-tank unit? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The fuel pump supplied in the PLP sc kit is a direct fit custom Denso unit that can be replaced from the access plate underneath the rear seat cushion, it is still a non-return system.

Kanine21 said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte

Kanine21 said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte

Aubie83 said:

Thanks!

Kane
I have some 2001 IS300 FSM's on order, so they'll be here before the PLP S/C.

Can you tell me if I have to drop the tank or anything?

I *think* the pump that comes with the PLP is an AC Delco unit, from what Mike listed in the parts list.

Tandom fuel pumps GTE? I bet that was as fun as shitting glass! :lol:

Thanks in advance!

Kane

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a friend that could get the TT Supra pumps for like $140, $150 shipped I believe. Been a long time, but they can be found for cheap. And those were new, in box, with warranty from the dealership, whole 9 yards.

Here's a good page for data on a TT Supra pump vs. a 10 year old MkIII Supra pump vs. a Cosmo pump vs. a Walbro:

http://www.supracentral.com/oldschool/htm/fuel.htm#pump

It includes the output of the pumps and such. Some interesting data and reviews. Noise of the Walbro is mentioned. The TT Supra pump, though a Toyota OEM, is probably one of the best pumps seen. Can't argue with Toyota and a lot of engineering.

Just out of curiousity, can you hear the Walbro outside the car? I know that a lot of the people don't hear them inside the car necessarily, but outside hear it quite loud. Just curious.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
21 Participants
vahe
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing