Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I have tried to do some research to find some solutions but I haven't come up with anything yet.

I have a fuel leak right around my rear drivers side tire. I have pulled the wheel removed the covers to see where it is coming from. I initially thought it was coming from the hose that connects the filler neck to the tank. So I bought some new clamps and checked over the hose and nothing seemed to be weird or immediately wrong with the hose. Put it on and it seemed to not leak for a few days, then it started again.

I can't seem to pinpoint what causes the leak. The leak isn't an immediate effect of driving the car, it seems to start leaking after I park and shut the car off for a while. I thought maybe it would be a pressure issue so I tried driving around and then release pressure from my gas cap and that seemed to work for 2 days but then I had a small puddle again the next day. I checked my fuel pump/gasket and didn't see any leak around there, could it be the charcoal canister? Could that fill up periodically and leak? I have no CEL or anything like that. Maybe I should go see if there are any codes anyway?

Thanks again for any help!

Edit: forgot to say its a 2002 IS300

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I found the leak. Took all the plastic covers off ( I hate plastic screws on cars) couldn't find a single wet spot. I think I waited to long to find it. So I went and put $20 in gas in the tank and drove for around 30 minutes and pulled into the garage. Looked down and saw it starting to leak so I quickly jacked up the car pulled the rear wheel off and looked for the leak. Turns out there is some rust on the top side near the fuel filler hose. Watched that area for a while while and noticed bubbles coming up and fizzing. Seems like there are several pin holes that leak when the whole tank is pressurized. Once the pressure escapes through those holes the leak stops. So luckily I found a guy near by who is parting out 3 IS300s and gave me a heck of a deal on a new (old) tank.

Any advice for replacing the fuel tank? I think I am going to drop the rear subframe just to make removing the tank a bit smoother.

Pictures below are of the areas where I noticed the air bubble and a pretty steady drip after driving.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts