Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on most the 1st gen forums and couldn't find any DIY's on changing the fuel filters, could anybody give me a link if there even is one?

also i could use one for changing the gauge pod lights.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
the fuel filter is a lifetime item, it never gets changed.

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts
It's part of the fuel pump/sending unit assy, the fuel filter is at the buttom of the unit, located inside the fuel tank. As longninghts said "it's lifetime, it never gets change".

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Here is a visual aid.

The mesh bag on the bottom of this fuel pump assembly is a permanent filtering media.

IS300 Fuel Pump Assembly

Only reason to change it, if drivebility problems occur.

Digger08

·
Registered
244 Posts
yea.. fuel filters last a long time..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Need help! I have an 03 IS 300, and I started noticing that when I press the gas pedal, the car accelerate but, then I can here on the exhaust like small explosion or farts coming out from the exhaust, it feels that ways only when i accelerate the car. I was told it could be the fuel filter, or may b dirty fuel injectors. Any suggestions please, thanks !

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
Need help! I have an 03 IS 300, and I started noticing that when I press the gas pedal, the car accelerate but, then I can here on the exhaust like small explosion or farts coming out from the exhaust, it feels that ways only when i accelerate the car. I was told it could be the fuel filter, or may b dirty fuel injectors. Any suggestions please, thanks !
You should just clean the MAF

·
Super Moderator
18,159 Posts
isnt the point of replacing a fuel filter to avoid drivability issues? mercedes changes theirs at 60k. even the in-tank ones like the E320
You can but unlike some other makers, Lexus has no service interval for it. In my opinion if Lexus felt that it would create a problem during the lifetime of the car, it would be included in the maintenance intervals. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does the 2JZ let alone other Toyota motors not have an in-line fuel filter in the engine bay?

My previous experience with Subarus, I've always replaced the in-line fuel filters in the engine bay.

BTW, I'm new to Toyota motors. I've been seasoned in Nissans and Subarus they past 10 years.

·
Super Moderator
18,159 Posts
Does the 2JZ let alone other Toyota motors not have an in-line fuel filter in the engine bay?

My previous experience with Subarus, I've always replaced the in-line fuel filters in the engine bay.

BTW, I'm new to Toyota motors. I've been seasoned in Nissans and Subarus they past 10 years.
Our cars fuel filter is on the pump and not serviceable, even my Impala is. My guess is a lot of car makers are doing away from an inline filter. A secondary can always be added but I don't think its really needed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I see. I guess my previous experience has been with older OBDI Nissan and Subaru cars/motors.

BTW Jason, you are very active on the board! When I am researching threads and post, you seem to be everywhere! Nice work sharing your knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
18,159 Posts
I see. I guess my previous experience has been with older OBDI Nissan and Subaru cars/motors.

BTW Jason, you are very active on the board! When I am researching threads and post, you seem to be everywhere! Nice work sharing your knowledge.
:lol: I know, I'm all over the place. I guess I get a certain satisfaction by getting members a fix the with lil bit I know. I am no expert. Thanks for kind words tho.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having an issue with my sons 04 Is300 the fuel gauge stopped working and the light stays flashing and my temperature gauge stopped working all at the same time. I took the computer out and found some burnt and cracked components so I sent it away to get rebuilt, and I replaced the gauge pod and still having issue. Not sure where to go from here since my normal mechanic can't figure it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I decided to see the condition of my fuel filter, considering the car has about 225,000 miles on it. The car didn't have fuel system problems, but I decided to change the filter anyways, on the outside, it was very clean, looking down at the tank, it was clean as well.

I was curious to see what a filter looks like after 13 years and 225,000, so I took an electric saw and started cutting through the gasoline soaked filter (hoping it wouldn't ignite). And here are the pics:

You can see that it's really, REALLY dirty. I'm surprised fuel was even able to flow through the filter.

I don't really know what the max life is for the car that you don't need to replace your fuel filter, but its obvious that this filter needed changing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just replaced my in tank fuel filters. Might just be the placebo effect but she seems more responsive now. It looked just as bad or slightly worse than Shobster's. I'm glad I replaced them. :approve:

I took photos at each step. I'm thinking of typing up a DIY.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.