Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is the third time took my car to Lexus for the increasingly annoying suspension creaks that occur when a person is tryign to get out of the car when it is on park position.

This time I finaly got the famous "there is nothing wrong with your car since it's totaly normal for IS' after we acknowledged that we have never heard anything like that before on an IS when you call in for an appointment"

Here is the brief summary from those 3 events:

1st time: (around summer) neither the dealer nor myself can replicate the problem during the inspection. Dealer lubed the swaybar bushing.

2nd time: (about 2 months ago) still can't replicate problem on the dealership. Dealer took everything out of the trunk (incld. cargo net) and blame the noise to those items and the kleenex box that I put in front of the high mount stop light.

3rd time: (Yesterday evening) Succeded in replicating the problem in front of the service advisor. Dealer didn't fix anything when I pick up the vehicle, blame the problem on the structural design of the car (brake line for the hand brake) and the weather condition (cold). SA told me that the creaking is normal for IS as other IS' on the lot share the same "characteristic".

I feel really dissapointed and frustrated with Lexus since this is exactly the same treatment that I got from another dealership for the driver side wind noise that I reported last year.
If I want to get a car that is designed and build to creak I don't think I need to spend $34K, I can get a Pinto or El Camino for a lot less than that.
Don't got me wrong I do love my 2002 IS300 but this is getting ridiculous.

Sorry for the long post guys but I need to let this out from my system.

For .netters that like to just ignore the problem and/or just pretend the problem does not exist : No offense, I do respect your opinion but please don't post on this thread as you will only waste the bandwidth

peace

·
8,827 Posts
Parking brake on or off?
Mine does that with the parking brake on. The one before that did the same thing. Sorry, but if that is the case, then it is normal.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'am having the same poping creaking noise also.. For some reason i feel its weather related it never did this in the summer.
:-? And yes this is very annoying

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
westside IS said:
What does the creaking sound like? I know my sways make a popping noise from time to time when I get in. Is it really that annoying?
yes everyone....most IS owners have this problem if you will...

from what i've heard and experianced myself, its a combination of things....

when you first get in the car after it hasnt been driven overnight perhaps, as soon as you get in, you hear the springs settle in..

and going in reverse, you usually hear the creaking sounds as well.....its the suspension doing its job....

really nothing to worry about folks....

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HI Guys,

The creak sounds like a haunted house door. And only happens when me or somebody else trying to get out from the car right after it is parked (driver alone or with passenger or even just passenger) .

The creaks are not dependend on the weather, time of day or the position of the parking break (on/off).
I was able to replicate the problem at the dealership without having the parking brake on.
The SA is trying to convinced me that the problem only occur when the parking break is on, but (as I mentioned to him) if this is a normal occurance how come the problem didn't occur until close to 2 yrs from the purchase.

Benign> None taken. I am 185lbs and my girlfriend is 104lbs. I'm not sure about other passengers that I had on the car when the creaks happen though.

Westside IS> I heard clunking on the front from time to time but doesn't really bothers me for now. The technician said that that noise comes from the brake machanism or something NORMAL like that.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi again guys.

Just a tought, should I call Lexus corporate and complain?
or since I found out that there are other .netters is having this problem should we do a petition or maybe class action?

maybe...

·
Registered
116 Posts
same here

I used to have the same problem in my old 3 series. Now, it is present on the IS300. After one try with BMW, I found a good guy on the internet, another tech from a different dealer, and he told me to tell my SA to lubricate the rear arm bushings. That fixed it on the bimmer. I never heard the noise again. It came up less than a year of ownership and went away completely for the next two. Maybe the techs at BMW knew how to lube it during the following service visits.

I reported the same thing to the guy at Lexus here but the car came out with the same exact squeak (I don't even know if they lubed anything or not). Yes, the morning spring settling is ok. But if I drive around rather slowly with the windows down, I can hear the same squeak. It really became apparent when I had Eibach Pro springs put on. Is it normal? I don't think so since BMW techs fixed the same noise in my old car.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When I pull out of a parking spacce i hear a loud creak or crack noise. It is actually very normal due to a floating front brake calipers. So if that is noise you hear a set of brembos or stop techs could take care of that for you. :D

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CZAR said:
It is actually very normal due to a floating front brake calipers. So if that is noise you hear a set of brembos or stop techs could take care of that for you. :D
I know exactly what you are talking about since my car displayed the same CHARACTERISTIC but the problem that I brought forward is the creaking that occur during driver/passenger unload when the vehicled is in parked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.