Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 lexus is300
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am needing to replace my suspension components. But I cant seem to help feeling like I'm missing parts for a full refresh.
So far I have ordered
  • tein flex z coilovers
  • cusco adjustable upper control arms
  • refresh kit from Figs (mevotech inner & outter tie rods, ball joints, upper & lower control arms, and caster arm)

I feel like a few components are still missing. (Aside from the sway bar and rear parts) whats missing on this list?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
You might want to also include sway bar and steering rack bushings

·
Registered
2001 lexus is300
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think he meant to just replace the sway bar bushings themselves (and endlinks), no need to replace the sway bar unless it snapped.
Oh I see. Well wouldn't it just be easier to replace it? I don't have a bearing press or anything to get the new bushings in place. But at the same time, I only want to do this once, and not 5 times because I forgot to do something lol

·
Registered
863 Posts
don't have a bearing press or anything to get the new bushings in place.
You can remove the control arms and banana bars, and take them to a front end alignment shop and have new bushings pressed in for pretty cheap, then reinstall everything yourself. Like @TobiasSing said, the sway bar bushings just kind of clamp on, and you can do the steering rack bushings from under the car (not fun but not impossible either). Look at Figs (super pro), GT4, Strongflex, or PSB for replacement poly bushes 👍🏼

·
Registered
2001 lexus is300
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can remove the control arms and banana bars, and take them to a front end alignment shop and have new bushings pressed in for pretty cheap, then reinstall everything yourself. Like @TobiasSing said, the sway bar bushings just kind of clamp on, and you can do the steering rack bushings from under the car (not fun but not impossible either). Look at Figs (super pro), GT4, Strongflex, or PSB for replacement poly bushes 👍🏼
Yeah as stated in OP I have ordered the figs refresh kit. I just feel like some things are missing out of the list I put of what I have. I was just going to upgrade to a cusco sway bar, but ill look into just replacing the bushing instead. But I still feel like there's other things missing.
Like I was looking (well comparing pricing) on moog, and it was showing a sway link, so im assuming thats 1 thing I was missing.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Well you get into situations where one company calls a part one thing, and somebody else calls the same part a different name. I remember when I redid all my bushes it was a lot of looking at suspension diagrams, making lists of what I could replace, and where I could get them.

Here’s a diagram that may help:

But you can see it’s still not 100% it’s missing the banana bar and the steering rack bushings. The sway bar bush is @16, and the sway end link is @18. I think you’ve got just about everything if my memory serves. What all bushings come in the Figs refresh kit?

·
Registered
2001 lexus is300
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well you get into situations where one company calls a part one thing, and somebody else calls the same part a different name. I remember when I redid all my bushes it was a lot of looking at suspension diagrams, making lists of what I could replace, and where I could get them.

Here’s a diagram that may help:
View attachment 137267

But you can see it’s still not 100% it’s missing the banana bar and the steering rack bushings. The sway bar bush is @16, and the sway end link is @18. I think you’ve got just about everything if my memory serves. What all bushings come in the Figs refresh kit?
Yeah I've seen that image before when I was trying to look it up. But yeah I think that's what's confusing me. On top of i just got done building an 83 datsun 200sx (aka s110) so most of my mindset goes back to 83 when they definitely called things different for some parts lol. But I am going with the super pro upgrade on the bushings. Except for on the upper control arm, I have adjustable control arms (cusco) (and I guess the moog sway bar endlinks)

·
Registered
2001 lexus is300
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
S110...definitely overlooked in the nissan S chassis. Nice choice.
Thanks. It was a rare find so I definitely had to pick it up. I daily drove it for 4 years. It's s13 converted front and has rx7 rear diff. I was going to SR swap it, but I might RB swap it, but it sits with the stock z22e. Ill probably boost it til it blows then swap it lol

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,353 Posts
Thanks. It was a rare find so I definitely had to pick it up. I daily drove it for 4 years. It's s13 converted front and has rx7 rear diff. I was going to SR swap it, but I might RB swap it, but it sits with the stock z22e. Ill probably boost it til it blows then swap it lol
A proper Z18ET would be awesome if you can find one. However it won’t be as fast.

·
Registered
658 Posts
1614089085585.png

Please tell me it's this body style and not the K-car looking 2dr sedan.

And if you buy a sway bar set from Hotchkiss or Eibach it comes with those body bushings (#16). The No. 2 lower control arm bushing will make the biggest difference on braking and high speed stability, since it's a lot of rubber with holes in the OEM bushing.

·
Registered
2001 lexus is300
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A proper Z18ET would be awesome if you can find one. However it won’t be as fast.
That would be nice to find. My uncle has an L28(?) The motor out of the Datsun 280z. Its just sitting in his garage, if I remember correctly he's making it an electric 280z. Its a dope conversion. But I could get his old motor and rebuild that and boost it. Just haven't really made up my mind on that one yet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts