Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen at www.clublexus.com and the RMM GS400 Signature edition havin the front skid plate? Anyone think it'd be worth designing and producing something like that?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
It would be cheaper and easier to probably weld on some thick metla plates to approximate the shape of tow brackets, but a little longer so they hit the ground first.

It's probably not worth it no matter what you do, it's body kits that take damage, not the frame or anything.

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
It's probably not worth it no matter what you do, it's body kits that take damage, not the frame or anything.
Isn't that the idea? The skid plates hit the curb/ground/speedbump/whatever first (and the car will lift) protecthing the bodykit/lip/whatever.

I would think you could make somethign to replace the front tie down hooks, bolting to the same holes...

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
webmaster said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
Isn't that the idea? The skid plates hit the curb/ground/speedbump/whatever first (and the car will lift) protecthing the bodykit/lip/whatever.

I would think you could make somethign to replace the front tie down hooks, bolting to the same holes...
Is it even legal to drive without tow brackets? I.E., removing them and replacing them with thick metal "teeth?"

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
Is it even legal to drive without tow brackets? I.E., removing them and replacing them with thick metal "teeth?"
AFIAK, it is not, nor has ever been illegal to drive without TIE DOWNs - they are not tow hooks. Removing them, in fact, is one of the first mods many Miata drivers do. There's no legal reason why they need to be there...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey Guys. You're talkin with the designer and owner of the GS (Featured Car on ClubLexus) with the skid plates. http://www.clublexus.com/index.php/article/articleview/2263/1/10/

I've had them on the car for two years now and the bottom of my air dam is still smooth as a baby's butt. The skid plate was designed with attachments for tie downs and when hooking up the car for dynoing.

I have since worked on an improved design that is welded directly to the tow hooks instead of to the frame as shown in the article here of my first design: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86621&highlight=skid+plate

My wife just bought an 04 IS so you guys are in luck. I will be installing my latest skid plate design on her car soon. The car has not been driven since we bought it because it is in the process of being heavily modded. So it will take about another month before the IS project is done and I can show pics of the skid plates, PLUS several other mod projects.

Stay Tuned

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right on!! :D Let me know the process man! Dam, your skid plates are welded to the frame? wouldn't that kinda damage and mes up your frame if you hit somethin hard?

Anyway mad props to a clean GS.

·
Registered
339 Posts
AltezzaBob said:
Right on!! :D Let me know the process man! Dam, your skid plates are welded to the frame? wouldn't that kinda damage and mes up your frame if you hit somethin hard?
Yes it can be dangerous.
You have to make sure not to have the plate too low, that's why the design requires the plate to be at the front leading edge of the air dam. The tie down hook location is probably one of the strongest parts of the car, so it can take a pretty hard it. You want to make sure that the weld is not too solid. If something is gonna go it should be the weld.

If you mount the plate towards the rear, you will have to lower the plate in order to hit before the front spoiler. That's a lot riskier set up.

AltezzaBob said:
Anyway mad props to a clean GS.
Thanks ! The wife's new IS is gonna be pretty trick too, when it's done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.