Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Kenwood KDC-X493 HU and the stock amp has been removed. System sounds like dogshit. I've read that ppl are just scrappin their rear speaks altogether and just going front. Is this really the wisest choice?

I've seen ItalynStylion & Avernir both post up this link for speaks, RSD65cs - Phoenix Gold 6.5" Component Speaker System . Are those for the rear or front?

Can i buy those speaks for the rear and amp them, then just amp the stock fronts w/my Kenwood HU?

Any direction and flaming me would be greatly appreciated. . . :/

link to my HU: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X493 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

·
Premium Member
25,355 Posts
Well, think about it this way.

When you go to a concert... where is the band?? In front of you.

Rear speakers make no damn sense unless you are planning on going full 5.1 and watching movies in your car.

I'd buy those Phoenix Gold Speakers and power them with a simple aftermarket amp... something like this:

KAC-7204 - Kenwood 2-channel 1000 Watt Amplifier

If you wanna save even more money... buy a used amp off of eBay or something. You could get an old school amp that puts out tons of clean power for less than $100... no problem.

Something like this:
Vintage SOUNDSTREAM Granite 60.2 Old School Amplifier - eBay (item 160402793262 end time Feb-15-10 18:52:48 PST)

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
the only reason to run rear speakers besides 5.1 is for some very very experienced sq guys to use the tiny, and i'm talking minuscule, rear fill to help center up the staging up front. i don't buy into that even, and i will never ever run a setup like that myself. when music is recorded, it is recorded and mixed in stereo, so having sound coming from behind you will do nothing but add more waves where no waves should be. those rsd's are one of the only component sets that i will recommend for someone without an amp. they actually do surprisingly well on very little power. you will want to seal up your doors to boost the midbass response. also, if you let us know your overall budget, we can help pick out some nice equipment on the cheap.

·
Premium Member
25,355 Posts
I've been to a few IASCA competitions lately... and I'm about to join the MECA circuit. I have never seen any competitors using rear fill in any way.

There is simply no way that sound emanating from behind you will improve the sound stage in front of you.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
ive been to one iasca competition where i have seen 1 judge say they wish they heard a little rear fill.
i agree that you do not need a rear fill but there are those out there that do feel it is needed.
also i have done a couple installs where adding rear fill helped raise the sound stage.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I've been to a few IASCA competitions lately... and I'm about to join the MECA circuit. I have never seen any competitors using rear fill in any way.

There is simply no way that sound emanating from behind you will improve the sound stage in front of you.
are you going to be at any near me soon. ill come say whats up.
are you still using the bmw..

·
Premium Member
25,355 Posts
I think my first shows are gonna be around May. My stereo won't even be done till round around the end of April. I'll let you know as soon as my schedule becomes clearer. All the shows I'll be in are in Northern California with maybe one or two down in the Socal area.

There is an MECA competition at the Sac Autorama on the 20th of this month. Some pretty insane cars are gonna be there.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
25,355 Posts
That will do just fine. That's plenty of power... and a damn sight more than your deck will put out.

By some dynamat door kits and deaden your doors for even more sound quality improvement! Remember... good sound quality in a car is about 10% equipment and 90% install. You could have the nicest, most expensive speakers money can buy, but if you do a shoddy install job... you will have shitty sound.

Search for Italyn's thread about proper midbass installation in IS300 doors. It's around here somewhere.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is wire, well, wire? Is there really that much of a difference? Cuz $14 at Walmart for this Walmart.com: Boss 10-Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit: Auto Electronics

sounds a lot better than $35 for this at WorstBuy Rockford Fosgate - 10-Gauge Power Amplifier Installation Kit with Interconnect - RFK10I

or this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...dsPerPage=60&retainProdsInSession=1&y=7&x=13#

These are my only local options, which is even better than whatever price the local audio shops want to just make up on the spot. . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.