Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been having alignment problem lately. I get a new alignment, then if I hit a pot hole (little one) my alignment goes wack. Sears suggest I get a new control arm because of the bushing is probably bad. Now they quote me $1200 to install new ones both left and right. My question is how hard to remove and install myself? Has anyone done this? I am pretty intermidiate with mechinical skills. Just when I read about the torque spec on these bolts I am scare I might get stuck somewhere. I don't have a lift just a jack and a jack stand. Any help is appreciated.

V

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I actually had the exact samething happen to me yesterday. I was one the alignment rack and one of my forward lower control bushing is shot. A new control itself cost $112 -114 new. I've installed these before and it's not a big deal. Just take your time. Sears is raping you on the cost BTW. Merchant Tire was going to Charge me $135 for the install being that it only take an hour and half to install to do one side. If I'm not mistaken I believe there are only 4 bolts that hold it on off the top of my head. With all the right tools and the right amount of patience it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4hrs total. I'm more than likely going to install mine, that is if it's not covered under warranty that is.

·
Registered
609 Posts
$1200 is waaaaayyyyy too much. Control arms themselves are not difficult to install if you have basic mechanical skills and tools. You will need a 1/2 inch drive set and a breaker bar. Just take appropriate safety measures and be absolutely sure you torque to spec. It has been a long time since I have done a control arm, and I have never done it on the IS, but I recall it just being a pain, nothing terrible. I think I compressed the spring to make reinstalling it easier. This may be necessary on the IS. Hopefully, someone that has done it will add their .02.

~DB

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had some front end noise so when I took the car in to Toyota yesterday for timing belt/water pump, I had them check it out. Turns out the bushing on the lower control arm was broken in my fiance's curb check a few months ago and the shop that did the original repairs didn't catch it. Thanks a lot! Anyway, Toyota said it would be $400 to replace the entire control arm, which is obviously way cheaper than what Sears quoted you or as said above you could just do it yourself! And some happy news, USAA is sending an adjustor out on Monday so they can pay for it instead, hurray! :)

Reactions: Brandizzle

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah guys thanks for all the inputs and advice. Decided I am going to do the install myself since I have some coil overs that need to be install for a long time now. Control only cost me $135 each and since taking out the control arm will require taking the strut so mind of while install the coils over too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts