Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reading an earlier post and was wondering in what states not having a front license plate is illegal. I'm in Washington and see corvettes, and Porche 911 Turbos all the time without them. Whats the deal?

·
Registered
354 Posts
The law varies state-by-state. But if your state issues two license plates for your car, there is probably some regulation requiring you to display them back and front.
In California things have recently changed. It has always been technically "against the law" to not display the front plate, but the police have only just begun to enforce the statute. Now, if you get nailed in CA without a front plate, you pay a small fine and you must attach the plate and show it to the Highway Patrol for their inspection. If you then take it off and get stopped a second time, the fine gets bigger and the legal consequences escalate. In some cities, if you get a parking ticket and have no front plate, it costs you an extra $50 on top of the parking fine!!
From where I sit - here in Los Angeles - I have decided I can live with a front plate on my car rather than go through all the BS of getting caught without one.
But, still, you see a lot of folks on the road with no front tag! I don't think the IS looks that bad with a front plate on.
Basically, the folks without 'em are giving the police one more reason to pull them over.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts