Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For current IS owners.

What have you done to fill in the holes on your front bumper after the dealer has installed the front plate?

How big are the holes?

Just found out that the dealer has installed the front plate on my car and I'm pissed. Suppose to pick it up Sat.

------------------
Best Regards
David Kouche

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
i asked them not to drill holes but they got the car from port that way and they were really apologetic and for that they gave me a free model IS300 car (comes in september or october though
) from the IS300 accessory book...anyways for us Californians its illegal not to have a front license plate so its no biggie, i would rather have 4 screw holes in my car (not noticeable on the spectra blue mica form afar) than get pulled over because i'm a. young, b. driving an expensive car in a mostly lower middle class area c. not white. and give them a reason to give me a ticket.

·
Registered
456 Posts
To be totally honest we you guys If my car came to the dealership with the holes predrilled I wouldn't accept the car. Drilling is SOOOOOOOOO permanent. As for the illegal in California I can deal with it. Lets be realistic, Who is not gonna be tinting the front windows???????
From what my sales guy told me they prep the car at the dealerships themselves. So I think your dealer is to blame.

Joel

·
Registered
9 Posts
So Whats the deal with the license plate in the front?
when i get my lexus i want to take the license plate off in the front becuase its gonna look damn gay but i dont want to get a ticket for it.
i live in illinois.
does anybody know the law for this here in the midwest?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Its easy to figure out if you have a car licensed in the state you are asking about. If you currently have a front plate (and most everyone else does too) then its probably required.

My car came with the front plate and screws in the trunk (next to the little gay white tire gloves!). But I live in NC and you only have plates in the back.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Even if you convince your dealer to _NOT_ drill the holes, the bumpers still come will little "guide dimples" in the bumper where the dealers are supposed to drill. So even the "virgin" IS300s still don't have a completely clean front end.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'd rather have dimples than holes any day. Joel, I think your dealer lied to you about the drilled holes.

--k

·
Registered
398 Posts
SBaik112,

Though I live across the Pacific Ocean from you right now, I used to live in Chicago Illinois. Back then I was driving a used Celica (when I was a teenager, gee, how fast you age...) with no front license plates. I was pulled over by a Mount Prospect Cop at Algonquin Rd. I told him that I had got the car used just a while back (which was true) and that the holes had rust and I couldn't put the license plate on even though I wanted to. He gave me a warning ticket and I got away. But remember, this is like 10 years ago, so I don't know if the law is still the same.

By the way, did you know that in the movie "Blues Brothers" they get pulled over by a Mount Prospect cop too?

[This message has been edited by Altezza (edited July 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
654 Posts
I got my car the day it came to the dealership so all I had were the dimples on the front, with the holder in my glove box. You don't see the dimples unless you get right up close to it. My friend owns an Integra, and for the "clean" look, he got some suction cups from the Acura dealer and stuck up the license plate on the inside of the windshield. It takes up some visibility, but at least you can point at something when the cop pulls you over :p.

P.S. A lot of people in my area don't have front license plates...how do they get away with that? Are they really defiant or brave or what?!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Texas does require front plates, but
the cops will rarely stop you if don't
display them. Just don't pull in to a
Dunkin' Donuts without front plates. You
can always count on 4 or 5 cops hanging
out there.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
A lot of Miata owners that live in states that require fronts plates, use a spring loaded bracket that mounts to the upper area inside the mouth. This way the front plate isn't attached to holes in the bumper

When the car is stopped the license plate is displaed. When the car is moving the wind pushes the plate up (allowing flow to the radiator, intercooler, etc). You can also "clip" the plate up and if stopped, unclip it and say it got stuck.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

·
Registered
104 Posts
Originally posted by shadoh6:
My friend owns an Integra, and for the "clean" look, he got some suction cups from the Acura dealer and stuck up the license plate on the inside of the windshield. B]

first of all that is illegal to put your plate on the windshield.. if you didnt know..

I have a '00 Civic Si as a daily driver and I have never got pulled over for not having a front licence plate , My '99 BMW M3 didnt come with one also and I never got a ticket for it. I also dont drive to attract attention so that might be it also.

·
Registered
323 Posts
California cops are pretty notorious for minor things like the front lic. plate. I myself got ticketed 4 times for it in my old 96 accord. I guess because it looked like the typical rice rocket. I haven't got ticketed yet for having no front license plate on my integra, which I've had for 2 years now. I can't put a license plate on it anyways because I imported the whole front end from Japan and i don't have the brackets to install it. Not like I would anyways. =P

·
Registered
456 Posts
My dealer didn't lie to me. My car came to the dealer WITHOUT the holes drilled. The dealer does drill the holes so that they can put on there specific dealership plates on the front and the rear. I guess I'm just lucky. Having an IS with the drilled holes for the front plate would have really bummed me out. As for the legal aspect I have never used a front plate and I HAVE gotten pulled over one time for it. But luckily it was just a $10 dollar fix it ticket that can be signed off.

Joel

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's not the traffic cops you should worry about. It's the damn parking enforcement officers that get you. I know. I got 2 of them. It is a law in CA cuz the ticket has a box that the officer just check off that said no front plates. If I remember correctly, the fine was $80. Unless you live in an area where you can avoid metered parking, put the front plate on. Those damn parking officers got nothing better to do than find a way to give you tickets. I don't like front plates but I've learn my lesson. $80 fine is enough reason for me to put it on.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I got one $20 (parking) ticket for no plate, and got a no charge (but hassle) "fix-it" ticket while driving on another occasion. I think California used to be somewhat lax about enforcing that, but I think they are nabbing people more often now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts