Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on protecting the front end of you car? I've got the "standard" black bras for both of my vehicles, but now wondering if they are worth the hassle? Do you use bras on your car? Have any of you repainted hoods or front bumpers with stronger paint? Please vote on the poll, I'd love to know how many people actually use this stuff.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
I think the black bras look like crap, and the xpel doesnt cover enough of the hood for the price.

I know its kind of ghetto, but on long trips, I buy colored painters tape from Home depot. It comes in 8 inch wide rolls, and has a low adhesive backing. Put a 2 stripes of the tape on the hood before a long trip and takes care of any chips.

I kinda got lucky since I have a red IS... the red tape blends in very well and doesnt look too bad. GGP and black owners are prolly out of luck since there is no color even close to those.

·
Registered
964 Posts
while i don't think bras are all that bad, i don't keep mine on too often. i have the colgan custom bra set and am very pleased. i use it when i know i'll be doing a lot of highway driving and take it off when i'll be in town for a while. on the highway is where i feel a bra is necessary.

·
8,880 Posts
On our freeways car bra is a must. You'd be surprised at the things that fly into your car. Some of the worst are the truck tires, which has gotten out of control lately.

I use colgan custom bra. It is the only one that fits well and looks best IMO.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
I had a genuine Lexus front nose mask. i used it for 3 months... then some little shit decided find out if it would catch fire. :pissed: :bitching:

now all I have is the hood piece. I need to buy another one. I'm think of getting a Colgan this time around.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
OK, personally, I like my girl to wear a light, lacey type bra .... :lol:

HoustonLex said:
I think the black bras look like crap, and the xpel doesnt cover enough of the hood for the price.
hmm, I wouldn't say the black bras cover much more than the Xpel version. Though I haven't seen one on an IS I can only imagine how crappy one would look covering the entire hood. :-?

Alll I know is, I used to have a black bra for my Integra and it definitely helped, though I did get some chips above the coverage line on the hood, same as is possible with the Xpel. However, the black version was WAY more of a pain to keep up with. It needed to stay clean and dry where it touches the paint. This is kind of a bummer if you're driving anywhere that it snows or rains a lot and you want to guard against those sand and rock chips. :-? So eventually it chafed a line on my hood's paint. It fit perfectly at first but later stretched out.

The Xpel, on the other hand, is excellent rain or shine ....especially shine because you can barely see it and it retains the classy look! You wax it just like your car and it can even be removed (with no ill effects) after having been installed for a couple of years (good for lease people) . The other major thing with Xpel-type protection vs. black bra is the protection on the headlights and fogs. Probably none on the black bra. But Xpel comes with $1,000 guarantee against breakage and our headlight assemblies are like $1,200- $1,300 ! :eek: Ever noticed some cars with plastic headlights/fogs that are all fogged/dull/crappy looking? Think of all the damage the pelting dirt,etc. does to that soft plastic.

Anyhow, it was a bit pricey, but I recommend it to everyone. I live in a practically bug-free area here in So.CA , but it has saved me on several trips from certain damage :D :D ...even errant parallel parkers! :pissed: :pissed:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Vman said:
OK, personally, I like my girl to wear a light, lacey type bra .... :lol:

HoustonLex said:
hmm, I wouldn't say the black bras cover much more than the Xpel version. Though I haven't seen one on an IS I can only imagine how crappy one would look covering the entire hood. :-?

Alll I know is, I used to have a black bra for my Integra and it definitely helped, though I did get some chips above the coverage line on the hood, same as is possible with the Xpel. However, the black version was WAY more of a pain to keep up with. It needed to stay clean and dry where it touches the paint. This is kind of a bummer if you're driving anywhere that it snows or rains a lot and you want to guard against those sand and rock chips. :-? So eventually it chafed a line on my hood's paint. It fit perfectly at first but later stretched out.

The Xpel, on the other hand, is excellent rain or shine ....especially shine because you can barely see it and it retains the classy look! You wax it just like your car and it can even be removed (with no ill effects) after having been installed for a couple of years (good for lease people) . The other major thing with Xpel-type protection vs. black bra is the protection on the headlights and fogs. Probably none on the black bra. But Xpel comes with $1,000 guarantee against breakage and our headlight assemblies are like $1,200- $1,300 ! :eek: Ever noticed some cars with plastic headlights/fogs that are all fogged/dull/crappy looking? Think of all the damage the pelting dirt,etc. does to that soft plastic.

Anyhow, it was a bit pricey, but I recommend it to everyone. I live in a practically bug-free area here in So.CA , but it has saved me on several trips from certain damage :D :D ...even errant parallel parkers! :pissed: :pissed:
When I get my new front bumper, I thought about going with the Xpel. Can you see it in pictures? Could I just do the front bumper and not the hood? My concern is that I hear the paint on fiberglass bumpers chips real easy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Why spend $300-$400 for clear bra. You can use the mony and buy carbon fiber hood when you get a lot of chips in the future.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
IS300SD said:
Why spend $300-$400 for clear bra. You can use the mony and buy carbon fiber hood when you get a lot of chips in the future.
Wait for an aftermarket part? Not in my vocabulary, lol.

Bras are so late 80s early 90s IMO.

Clear paint protection is better than hundreds of knicks on your front bumper/hood.

BTW, the clear bra is temporary unless you meant permanent until you peel it off. With that, I didn't choose any of your options. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wxman said:
When I get my new front bumper, I thought about going with the Xpel. Can you see it in pictures? Could I just do the front bumper and not the hood? My concern is that I hear the paint on fiberglass bumpers chips real easy.

You cannot see it in photos. If you do, it is VERY hard to see it. The (main) only reason why you would see it is because you know it is there. Yes, you can buy only the bumper piece. As for the hood, due to the angle, you might be able to see the top line of it, but I think it would still be very hard. Once my car it repaired, I'm going to get the complete kit again and then have the entire hood protected (you will only be able to see one line from it). One big reason as to why people notice the lines is because of dust. No dust=Very hard to see.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Due to heavy construction on the road, i decided to get bra for my IS, at 1st i was looking at the Lexus Bra but, to be honest it look very plain ...and so, finally i picked up a Colgan custom carbon fiber look bra for my IS & let me tell u, it looks nice...& mine IS 3 is a crystal white only 1 month old. Finally had my 1st 1000 mile service this morning.

However i didn't bother with the whole bumper, but i only have the bra on the hood. As far as damaging the paint, i spoke to the guys @ the local detailing shop from what they told me it all depends on the color of the car but, over all it's good to take it off once in a month..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Xpel is the way to go

Clear bra is worth the extra money and nobody will even know it's there. $425 installed.
Sure it's not going to protect the entire hood but nothing will.

·
8,880 Posts
nabisco212000 said:
wher can i get a colgan carbon fiber bra guys...?
800-447-2727

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Re: Xpel is the way to go

dpmredwing said:
Clear bra is worth the extra money and nobody will even know it's there. $425 installed.
Holy price batman!!!

I paid $ 300.00 (with instal) for front bumper/hood and mirrors.
Guy came out to my house and did the instal in my garage.

Xpel product (chose 3M over Avery film)

But you - clear bra is the way to go!!!
It took me 2 chips in the hood to realize how weak the paint is.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: Xpel is the way to go

goldark said:
dpmredwing said:
Holy price batman!!!

I paid $ 300.00 (with instal) for front bumper/hood and mirrors.
Guy came out to my house and did the instal in my garage.

Xpel product (chose 3M over Avery film)

But you - clear bra is the way to go!!!
It took me 2 chips in the hood to realize how weak the paint is.
Wow, Goldy, you got a great deal! :eek: I paid almpst $500 out here in Cali for the full kit installed (hood,bumper,corners, lights,fogs) ! But that was over a year ago when it was still relatively new and less competition, I think.

Stick, you have to get a new bumper, too, eh? :( Ever post any pics of the accidente' ?

And, um , no thanks on getting a Carbon fiber hood on my IBP. :-? :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts