Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Yesterday I was changing my pads and noticed that on my front left caliper one of the pistons stuck half way out... I called lexus and they quoted me over $600 for a new caliper. I called few other places and I found a rebuilt caliper for $90 + my old one. Do you guys think think it is safe to buy the rebuilt one? Or is there any way of fixing my old one? Also, if I will by a new one maybe it is better to change both front calipers so they will work at the same rate?

Thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you rebuilt it? I just do not see how to remove the piston which is seized...I saw a manual on disassemble a caliper but it required a compressor which I have no access to...

·
Registered
794 Posts
Take it to a shop and use a airgun put it in the hole and the should pop out u might wanna use a piece of wood cuz it shoots out like a bullet. When rebuilding all you do is replace the seals an clean the piston with steel wool. Leave it smooth relube with brake fluid and insert back with hand with a lil pressure.. I just rebuild my bbk. It's e-z

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
RockAuto Auto Parts has them for $49+$40 core (you get the core charge back when you return the broken one). It's hard to justify rebuilding it yourself with those prices.

I am not affiliated with Rockauto. I've used them a lot and have had nothing but success.

-Justin

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys think it is better to rebuilt also the right one or it is not necessary.?

·
Registered
794 Posts
It's all up to you. Rebuilding also depends if you can jus make sure the sides of the caliper are not damaged once the piston is off check for scrapes on the walls.

·
Registered
471 Posts
haha, you just need a torch and some pb blaster spray. Use a hammer and something flat to push the stuck caliper out. Most likely the rubber cracked and allowed water to get inside the piston caliper and seize. Its all part of routine maint. checking for all your rubber seals and boots for cracks or wear.

Ive only rebuilt one caliper in my life and it was a subaru, couldnt be much different.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
RockAuto Auto Parts has them for $49+$40 core (you get the core charge back when you return the broken one). It's hard to justify rebuilding it yourself with those prices.

I am not affiliated with Rockauto. I've used them a lot and have had nothing but success.

-Justin
I've had the rebuilds from Rockauto on my car for about a year and a half with no issues. I've also gotten brake pads and other parts from them and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone else.

They also usually have 5% off coupon codes floating around if you search for them.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

-Justin
So you get rebuilt calipers for 49+40 and they are as good as the oem toyota/lexus ones? Are they equal in weight, solidity and overall quality? And is they any best company in there? I see at least 3-4 different kind at different prices. Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
So you get rebuilt calipers for 49+40 and they are as good as the oem toyota/lexus ones? Are they equal in weight, solidity and overall quality? And is they any best company in there? I see at least 3-4 different kind at different prices. Thanks!
i'm pretty sure most of the rebuilt caliper were OEM one, like the core your going to give them, is in turn gonna be rebuilt with new seals and cleaned up and resold to some one else. so quality should be very similar to OEM.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I usually tell my customers that they are close to the same, but probably not quite as good. Sometimes rebuilt products have inferior metals and seals. But if the oem price is a lot more than the aftermarket price, I get the cheaper. Sometimes the aftermarket companies fix design flaws made by the OEM. It has never come to haunt me and my customers love the prices.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
I can't vouch for every item out there, but I have never had a problem with rebuilt calipers from anyone. It's certainly going to be no worse than the stock caliper you rebuild yourself.

As for brands, I think I just ordered Centric rotors from them. I think I got the premium flavor and they are very nice. Milled surface and the cap and ends were even painted. I have had good experience with Rockauto so far, and I trust them to the point where I'd say you're safe with anything they're selling.

-Justin

·
Registered
55 Posts
If there's an autozone around you I'd get one from there, I just changed my brakes couple weeks ago and one of my calipers were seized. I paid $85 after $62 for core, may sound expensive but has lifetime warranty

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If there's an autozone around you I'd get one from there, I just changed my brakes couple weeks ago and one of my calipers were seized. I paid $85 after $62 for core, may sound expensive but has lifetime warranty
Thanks but I don't understand.. here the is300 is so rare.. You would go to a autopart store like autozone (we don't have them here) and they have is300 rebuilt calipers for you for that cheap? I really envy you lol..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts