Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a quick front brake replacement on the wife’s 2012 IS 250. Only replaced the pads. Rotors seemed ok, with no wear other than normal wear. Anyway I now have an annoying squeal when I apply the brakes. Also makes noise just driving around. Told the wife to turn up the radio, but she’s still not pleased. Plan to pull things back apart & look everything over, but does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Not sure what differs in brake style to the IS300 but these would be the first places to look:
Clean and grease the caliper float pins? If the caliper cant float freely it will tend to drag one side more than the other.
Did you put the squeal shims on the back of the pads, and the spring clips on the top of the pads to hold them apart? These are easy to miss putting back on.
What brand pads are they? The cheaper pads tend to squeal, OEM are good. The ceramic blends i have on mine at the moment are good, no noise at all and hardly any dust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I used cheap pads & they were from AuotZone. They were in a kit that included the hardware which I replaced. The pads had shims already on the back of them. All the moving parts were cleaned and lubed.
I tried to break in the pads the best I could on city streets. Maybe I didn't do that correctly.
I have to check, but I just read on this site that if they were metallic and not ceramic pads that they may squeal.
Going to pull them back apart tomorrow and look things over.

·
Mr. Roo
10,071 Posts
I don't think I used cheap pads & they were from AuotZone. They were in a kit that included the hardware which I replaced. The pads had shims already on the back of them. All the moving parts were cleaned and lubed.
I tried to break in the pads the best I could on city streets. Maybe I didn't do that correctly.
I have to check, but I just read on this site that if they were metallic and not ceramic pads that they may squeal.
I personally have never had any luck doing brake pads myself. They always ended up making noise. I wonder if the noise will go away over time?

·
3,880 Posts
There are different pads they offer. Which did you buy? I ran an Autozone for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duralast Gold ceramic pads. Says ceramic OE grad formulation with OE slots & chamfers for smooth, quiet stopping. Kit included hardware that matched the existing pieces.

·
3,880 Posts
Duralast Gold ceramic pads. Says ceramic OE grad formulation with OE slots & chamfers for smooth, quiet stopping. Kit included hardware that matched the existing pieces.
If you did not resurface or replace the rotors. That is the cause of the noise. Replace or turn the rotors and swap in new pads again. Seen that one hundreds of times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just finished putting everything back together. Discovered the source of the squeaking noise. The metal pieces that were supplied with the kit that hold the pads in place were not exactly like the factory ones I removed. They had small metal tabs that just touched the rotors. The metal tabs on the ones I removed had about a 1/16" clearance. Should have noticed that during installation, but they looked like the ones I removed. Anyway I cleaned up the old ones and installed them with the new pads and no noise. Scuffed up the pads and went out and did a partial break-in. All is good.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts