Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you give a basic comparison of the difference in installation, function, and maybe pros and cons of the 3 front #2 caster arm bushing upgrades you offer for the IS300?

My torn OEM bushings are not keeping my car happy.

·
THE MAKER
4,811 Posts
Well for bushings we only carry an adjustable or non adjustable bushing.
The standard (centered) bushing is generally all that is needed and what we stock the most of. It will support the front lateral arm during braking and give much better steering feel especially under braking.

The adjustable bushings are suggested in 1 of 2 situations.
- an arm is bent and you need to make up the shortness in the bushing
- You would like to increase or decrease caster, decreasing is helpful for drifting and increasing is helpful for initial turn in for grip driving.
Both have a lifetime warranty, the adjustable is one-time adjustable, so you must press the bushing in offset.

The spherical bearing is the highest performance solution but adds the most NVH. The bearings will not deflect at all and provide the cleanest cycling in the suspension without resistance. Suggested for track cars, mostly due to NVH. We have people with a lot of miles on them and no reports of degradation when periodically serviced with dry film lubricant.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The adjustable bushings are suggested in 1 of 2 situations.
- an arm is bent and you need to make up the shortness in the bushing
- You would like to increase or decrease caster, decreasing is helpful for drifting and increasing is helpful for initial turn in for grip driving.
Both have a lifetime warranty, the adjustable is one-time adjustable, so you must press the bushing in offset.
confused? I thought you would want to increase caster for better self steering for drifting

·
THE MAKER
4,811 Posts
confused? I thought you would want to increase caster for better self steering for drifting
self center has more to do with the hub to steering pivot angle. While caster helps self center on vehicles that lack a goo trailing hub relationship, you get a lot more forward bite on a shallower caster angle setup. Just as camber helps add lateral grip by matching the tire roll-over, caster adds tire path as you roll more angle into the steering. This is especially important on our PROAngle kit, which can almost go full straight on lead wheel.
Mike

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Just installed the non-adjustable busing kit- after getting the OE busing out, installing the figs busing kit was crazy easy. This is a very perceivable mod- this isn't like installing a rigidity bar and after driving around questions if you feel the difference, and if so is it placebo- this mod greatly reduces deflection in the front suspensions alignment and you can feel it, like Fig said, especially when braking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts