Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im changing my oil today and got a case of mobil 5w-30 oil

the guy at kragen suggested Fram oil filter. is this a better filter?

also i got copper washers for the plug thingy. is this good?

thanks guys appreciate it

·
Registered
960 Posts
AustinAltezza said:

I know that on many auto and motorcycle message boards that it is very popular to bag on the Fram product, but my experience says they are fine filters. I've put over 260,000 miles on my Toyota truck (still running well when sold) and over 115,000 (still counting) on my Honda ST1100 motorcycle using mostly Fram oil filters and have had no problems with them at all. This is attested to by the high mileage both of these vehicles have attained while still running well and using very little oil. Of course the Mobil 1 probably helps too. The correct Fram filter for our IS300 is the PH3614 I believe.

·
Registered
150 Posts
wow, that's a lot of miles with fram...
glad to hear that it works...i just bought the fram filter and was starting to second guess my choice. i'm sure the filter is really important to the turbo and super
charged guys...but for minor bolt ons i'm hoping this filter would be fine.
i know a lot of older guys in my neighborhood who've used these filters for years.
they seem to think it works fine. i did purchase the mobil 1 sythetic oil...so i hope
this also helps.
maybe next time i'll try using the ls400's filter...supposedly that filters a little more
oil because its bigger and they say it should fit.
anyone else using these filters? your input would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Fram is fine, in fact if you change your oil on a regular then just about any filter will do. I change my oil every 3000 no matter what. Sometimes a sooner. I know it's bad for the oceans and so on, but it's what i do. I use Fram on my Honda civic 88, and my Rodeo 95, (before I fliped it) and my Lexus. I have nothing bad to say about it. Not sure if I use it my bike but I will look later.

·
Registered
989 Posts
y not just go grab a denso one from your toyota dealer. they we made for the car.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree completely with Jbacciani about the Fram. Any good filter is acceptable so long as it's changed with every oil change, and provided you change the oil at an appropriate interval. As to the copper gaskets, yes, they are first class. Don't let the lube guy overtorque the drain plug, but keep it tight enough to prevent any "weeping" which I encountered recently after "over-restraining" my lube guy from going too heavy
with the wrench. Fortunately it was just wet around the plug, with no oil loss, but I learned from that experience that the drain plug can be not only too tight, but also not tight enough. Good practice here is to replace the drain plug gasket every time you remove the plug.

Parenthetically, I just replaced the stock plug with one containing a magnet, I don't
expect to see much on the magnet since my car just crossed 31,000, but I figured it couldn't do any harm. Bought the plug on eBay.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Fram put out one of the best aftermarket products lines out there.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Any decent filter should be fine if you do regular oil/filter changes. You could also buy a bunch of the Denso filters from a Toyota dealer or online or something if you wanted to use the OEM filter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
fram filter

AustinAltezza said:

i like the mobil 1 filters i was told they had synthetic fibers in them also like pure one, frams are good i really like the grips they have usually alot of them work the same,mostly its just preference and name brand but frams are good lee

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Fram is CRAPOLA...Toyota dealer's have them cut open to expose them. They filter with CARDBOARD! I'd NEVER use one. Puralator, AC Delco and Mobil One are some of the better brands out :p

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
fram sucks from everything I have read, seen tests between them all, amsoil and mobil one are some of the best so those two I use.

·
Registered
523 Posts
LexISpooled said:
fram sucks from everything I have read, seen tests between them all, amsoil and mobil one are some of the best so those two I use.
I've done quite a bit of homework on oil filters too. Fram seems to be the crappiest brand out there. The comment about using cardboard is accurate. Do some searches online, many people have cut filters open and written reviews.

I say stick with the stock filter. They can be had for $3-4 online or around $5 at your local Toyota dealership.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Thats what i recomend, Just use the stock oil filter. Those are good and not that much more costly so...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts