Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we all know since is300 is a fr.its good at conering,but it can be understeer or oversteer depending on how you turn your steering wheel and how much throttle you give.i wish everyone here can share their experiences about how you handle a fr(is300) fast at coners without spinning your wheel or too much undertseer.i know its also depending on what modds you got on your car.just wish i can learn from all of you.maybe we can all share our opinions and learn more about it.sometimes i really want to have full throttle at tight coners with 2nd gear,but afraid of spinning my wheel,by the way my car gets oversteer easily..

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
the IS is REAR WHEEL

you might want to edit your post....and re-think your questions

·
Registered
670 Posts
Stock IS tends to understeer... and without affecting any Lexus ride conditiod, Sway bar would be the best choice for improving the cornering and handling..... I heard a lot of good comments on sways!!!

For me, I did whole suspension mod at once, so I don't know which one took a better roll...

So here is my thought...

Start from the sways, and see how much you like...

Then do the spring/shock combo, or even coil-overs depends on your needs.... with right tuning, your car reach the level that you can push hard at 2nd gear, which I can do with my car now...

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
the IS is REAR WHEEL

nice job bro.. FR = front engine, rwd
FF = front engine, fwd
MR = mid engine, rwd

thats all i can think of it right now

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
crazeazn said:
tsopranoMB said:
the IS is REAR WHEEL

FF = front engine, fwd
MR = mid engine, rwd

is there any RR? rear engine, rwd

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
oversteer?

if you want free oversteer,(and a likly crash) disconnect your front sway bar.
realisticly i got the Hotchkis sway bar package, and wow what a differance. i wouldnt think of going back to stock. ride is quiet and smooth. Being adjustable (two settings) you can dial in oversteer or not. (simply set the front soft, rear hard).
I drive my car very hard, having owned and driven several rear drive cars on the track i tend to push my cars hard on the road as well. highway entrance ramps (the sweeping loops) are great fun. The IS grips the road great and the breakway point of traction is both predictable and easily controlable if you know how to drive. Drifting through corners is great fun, but not the fastest way to get things done. If handleing is what your after then youll need some upgraded springs shocks, upper strut tower bars. the first mod should probably be some nice sticky tires. Depending on how much you want to spend, for about 550$ you can pick up the swaybars and springs by hotchkis for use with the factory shocks. they are very well matched setup and dramaticly improve the handling. (see the writeup) if your not a well informed driver yet, id stay away from coil overs as if you dont set all four up correctly (weight balance and ride hieght,dampener setting) youll probably do more harm to your cars handling than good.
guess youll need to decide how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
crazeazn said:
tsopranoMB said:
the IS is REAR WHEEL

FF = front engine, fwd
MR = mid engine, rwd

really? interesting..I was not aware of those abreviations, so I assumed he meant RW=Rear Wheel Drive....

:-?

thanks for the info....I learned something new on is300.net, yippe! 8)

·
Registered
565 Posts
i agree....i got the hotchkis, and i will never go back to stock. the ride is more comfortable and enjoyable!

·
Nygmatic
2,572 Posts
most people that autox heavily are actually going to a softer sway setting while stiffening their corners individually. the problem with too stiff of a sway bar is that you lose the independence of the corners, left to right. so as you turn into a hard corner, instead of the car leaning, it will be more prone to sliding.

however if you had stiffer springs and a good shock setup the inside of the car will stay afloat and the outside will continue to hold. the car will lean, but it will stay planted.

and to the FR question. just keep in mind that your rear controls alot of what you can and cannot do. im not an expert, but what ive found driving around is that coming in easy and starting the turn in early are key to a good turn. then you can gun it out of the turn. make sure not to fully let off of the throttle in the turn either as this will lift the rear and cause you to oversteer. keep moderate throttle through the turn to keep the rear of the car planted nicely through the turn. as you pass the apex slowly accelerate, when you are pretty much 3/4 done with the turn you can pretty much gun it. our cars dont have enough power to kick out the rear end too much.

uphills you are more prone to understeer so brake earlier but you can accelerate earlier too. downhills you are more prone to oversteer. so your turn in can be faster, but watch the rear as it can slide out. make sure to finish braking and almost start accelerating before starting your turn in.

if you have LSD, its even more fun. just get out to a track and experiment. have fun and learn! happy racing! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts