Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for 17" rims from TireRack or such? Lexus is saying I have three bent OEM rims at $500+/each to replace. The service guy recommended aftermarket rims. Said they're more durable. I wanted to ask why Lexus would sell a car with OEM rims that weren't able to withstand a pothole in the first place.

Any suggestions? Sometimes it's hard to tell on TireRack just how the wheel would look.

From another post I wrote, "Bad scrap on bumper (pics)":
The Lexus "Collision Center" estimated the repairs at $410.00. Give me a break. This includes deassembly and reassmbly, paint supplies, and paint labor. Again, they want $410.00. Meanwhile, I had to take my IS into Lexus service for them to do a wheel alignment and crap as I hit a nasty pothole. I have the worst luck. I told them about the collision center estimate and the server rep. said they have a "guy here" who can do the bumper repair and painting for about $100-$150. Should I trust this word of mouth? Any advice?

Thanks.

They also charged me $170 for wheel alignment and balancing. Give me a break. I really need to build my own shop in the garage to take care of this stuff myself.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wasn't a bad road at all - just one random huge a&& pot hole. I hate this crap.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
You get what you pay for so don't waste your money on a $150 aftermarket rim. The stock rims aren't that weak but there's not much you can do when you hit a huge pothole. If you want something strong go for forged rims but they're very pricey. Also check your tire pressure regularly don't let them drop too low.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How would you know if the stock rims on eBay aren't bent as well? I couldn't tell if my rims are bent - had to be inspected by techs before they could say...You know what I mean? Seems risky. Thanks though... :cry:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Neolicious said:
How would you know if the stock rims on eBay aren't bent as well? I couldn't tell if my rims are bent - had to be inspected by techs before they could say...You know what I mean? Seems risky. Thanks though... :cry:
That's true. You just have to use your instincts I guess. If the deal is too good to be true then maybe it is. The rims I got were in great shape. Just a little tar on the inside but i cleaned that up. It's worth a look before you decide on any other aftermarket wheel or buy brand new from the dealers.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What price range and/or brand would you say would not be a "crappy aftermarket rim"? I'm kind of new to this stuff - sorry, guys. Flame me if you want. I've always been interested in this stuff just never had the authority to make any mods to my car (was always owned my father). Now finally I have my own IS 300 with three bent rims and a broken CD changer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm leaning towards the SSR GT1 (17") or the Moda R6 (also 17"). What do you guys think? Both seem to retain the original feel of the OEM wheels and are neither cheap nor ultra-expensive.

These are from TireRack.com.

Do we get any deals through IS300.NET? :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Have you considered going up a size to 18" rims? The Modas look a lot like factory rims. The GT1 I believe is 1 piece but the GT3 are 2 piece (a little stronger). You might consider those as well. There's plenty of wheels out there to choose from so don't limit yourself to just tirerack. Do plenty of research before deciding on rims, there's a large market out there for you to select from. Goodluck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interested in the eBay idea, I found this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43957&item=2449035427

Seller seems to have a great rating. Wonder what is meant by "taken off Lexus at dealer"...I guess the wheels were taken off once the car made its way to the dealer for the first time? But why would Lexus service/dealer do that?

What do you guys think about buying OEM rims from eBay? Seems legit. Obviously a great deal...

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Neolicious said:
Seller seems to have a great rating. Wonder what is meant by "taken off Lexus at dealer"...I guess the wheels were taken off once the car made its way to the dealer for the first time? But why would Lexus service/dealer do that?

What do you guys think about buying OEM rims from eBay? Seems legit. Obviously a great deal...
I think the auction looks good. A Lexus dealer around me had a few IS3's on the showroom with aftermarket wheels (brand new), so I guess they could do that before the sale. Also, the customer might switch on some new wheels at the time of purchase, and leave the OEM's behind.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input. I agree it's probably legit. I checked out the shipping cost, though - they want $34 per wheel or so for 3-day service. That's pretty expensive - moreso than other auctions I've seen.

G

·
Neolicious said:
I bought my rims from ebay for 260 for 2 wheels. Mine where brand new and excellent condition when i got mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts