1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the Heat Source.
Look under the Passenger's side dash.
Look to left toward console.
You'll see two Black Foam Covered Aluminum tubes. They're TOO HOT to touch where the Foam is not covering them. I think these tubes have Radiator Water running through them to the Heater Coil.
I can't think of anything else that would cause these tubes to be "SO HOT".
Unless maybe its just "Heat Conduction" from the Engine finding its way through the fire wall via these tubes??
Gonna show this to Lexus on my 5,000 mile service.
BTW, I happen to feel this for the first time today when my son was driving home from school. My console WAS NOT HOT THOUGH.
Just felt the heat on my BARE feet under the passenger's dash.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My console gets hot fron the lights in it and or drivetrain. i have never even heard of these heater core tubes being so exposed?! That sounds like a safety hazard! I would seriously have that checked.

·
Registered
978 Posts
smra,
So can anything be done about it? We've had a mild summer here, and winter's coming, so I don't mind the extra heat
BUT I think it is an issue that Lexus needs to address, as well as the "soft" paint issue...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Most cars have a valve that keeps coolant from flowing through those tubes unless you have the heater turned on...

·
Registered
287 Posts
After reading all the posts about the heat, I checked my car and here is what I think the source is: the lighting system of the dashboard and the center console. I can be going 70mph withand there is no heat. However, if you are driving at night and red-orange light is everywhere, it heats the center console and the circle underneath the shifter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts