Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I tested one this weekend. Loved it. I think I could get for 29k cdn taxes in (about 24k american) keep in mind we pay 15% tax here in Ontario, the car sells new for 39k plus fees and taxes.
The car is a 2004 IS300, manual, LSD, charcoal grey, 35,000 miles (I believe most of it highway but I will confirm with the previous owner), no nav, very clean in an out (minor chips on hood which have been touched up), original tires and brakes, serviced at Lexus dealer. An acura dealer is selling the car. I am going to try and get in touch with the previous owner to get the real rundown on the car.

Is this a good deal in your opinion? The car looks, drives very well. Only strange thing I noticed was a rustling type wind noise from the vent area on the dash at speeds above 80km/h. I turned the vents off and it was still there. Is this a common 'noise'. Other than that, there weren't any other issues that I could see.

Thanks!
Richard

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Before any people from the U.S. respond here, used IS300 pictures average 10-20% higher here in Canada than the U.S.

If you can get it for $29k plus taxes that is pretty good for a 2004. There are many dealerships around here that try to sell 2002's at that price. So if you like the car and can get it at that price then I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
That seems like a good price to me!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crester said:
That seems like a good price to me!
It seems like a good price to me too. I like the car, but I am fully prepared to walk away if the price doesn't suit me. The car has been on their lot for 5 weeks now, so I know there is some room there, plus winter is brewing and we all know what that does to car sales.
I think the dealbreaker/maker will be how the car was cared for.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Price not bad. The Lexus dealer is asking $24K for the 2002 I traded in last month. Dunno what they'll sell it for though. Mine had 39,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
dutchie said:
It seems like a good price to me too. I like the car, but I am fully prepared to walk away if the price doesn't suit me. The car has been on their lot for 5 weeks now, so I know there is some room there, plus winter is brewing and we all know what that does to car sales.
I think the dealbreaker/maker will be how the car was cared for.
If you can wait... wait. Time is on your side. I remember one dealer almost wanting to give me a nice "burnt orange" IS300 because it was on his lot so long. He was in a really bad location (burried in an industrial area near the lake) and the car was there for MONTHS. Sadly I wasn't in a position to take it. Oh well... I still ended up with a nice IS300. And it's a higher level one to! But damn... that burnt orange colour was AMAZING!!!!!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crester said:
If you can wait... wait. Time is on your side. I remember one dealer almost wanting to give me a nice "burnt orange" IS300 because it was on his lot so long. He was in a really bad location (burried in an industrial area near the lake) and the car was there for MONTHS. Sadly I wasn't in a position to take it. Oh well... I still ended up with a nice IS300. And it's a higher level one to! But damn... that burnt orange colour was AMAZING!!!!!!!! :cool:
yeah, time is on my side, I am in no hurry and I told the salesman that. he did say... 'I am sure we can do better than that price'. I left him my phone number.So, I am pretty positive I will be getting a call from him...Let the games begin...lol.
I remember walking out of another deal once because the price didn't suit me, the guy came running out after me in a panik. I got it at my price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, went by the dealer last night and the car is still there. so that makes week six on the lot. I also saw an ad in the paper for the car with a list price of $1000 less than the salesman quoted me the car was listed at. A mistake or a sales method, I don't know...anyhow, I am going to wait another week or two and go in and give them my low ball offer and see what happens. wish me luck...

·
Registered
656 Posts
dutchie said:
yeah, time is on my side, I am in no hurry and I told the salesman that. he did say... 'I am sure we can do better than that price'. I left him my phone number.So, I am pretty positive I will be getting a call from him...Let the games begin...lol.
I remember walking out of another deal once because the price didn't suit me, the guy came running out after me in a panik. I got it at my price.
I saved $300 on my '02 by walking out after negotiating. I was going to another dealer, and the salesman knew that, and I was literally in my old car to leave when the salesman knocked on my window and said he'd take off another $300. I took the car. I usually give the threat to walk out to salesmen with the mention of another dealer. They will work with you then.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rickjs8 said:
Is that the one out in Ottawa?It's a good price if it's a premium package.I paid $45000 plus taxes for an 04 premium package
Yup it is in ottawa. I believe it does have the premium package...if that means leather, sunroof etc. There is no nav though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rickjs8 said:
They just dropped the price another $2000
yeah, I just noticed that. thanks. That is a good sign.
I did do a check on the car the other day with the local toyoto/lexus dealer. seems it has been in the Toyota/lexus body shop for something a year or so back... but the service manager was not sure how much work was done.
I am contemplating a couple of other cars still (new mazda3, and a used G35)...but I'll most likley make a decision sometime soon.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Dont buy the Mazda. Youll hate yourself for it. Get a used IS or the G35 is nice too. I sold My IS300 with 16,000 Miles in Mint condition for 21.5K American$

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BennyLex said:
Dont buy the Mazda. Youll hate yourself for it. Get a used IS or the G35 is nice too. I sold My IS300 with 16,000 Miles in Mint condition for 21.5K American$
I am thinking that too. I get bored of cars easily, but I don't think I would get bored with the IS. 21.5 K is a good price for a car with miles that low. The G35 is nice too, but it is a bit of a boat.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Do a CarFax on it, getting the package from the ministry in Ontario may not have all the out of state information. CarFax seems to be pretty accurate even for Canadian cars.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
storm said:
Do a CarFax on it, getting the package from the ministry in Ontario may not have all the out of state information. CarFax seems to be pretty accurate even for Canadian cars.
did a carfax. everything checked out there. no major issues with anything. carfax won't report all accident repairs though as seen in this case, especially if it isn't major accident. also, something the lexus service guy told me, you can get majorly rearended and even roll a car without having the airbags go off (hard to believe)... shows that the airbag check in carfax means very little. anyway, to cover yourself, I always get the dealer to put it in writing that the car has not been in any accidents to their knowledge.
I found it annoying that carfax could not tell me how many owners the car has had, it said 'at least 1'. that is a given though. I did a check through Lexus and I confirmed one owner.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts