Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a sports design for sale in my area thundercloud metallic. Its a 2003 all maint. done at lexus with records . The car has 85k highway miles lovely time to sell as the 90k serv is approaching lol. Anyways there asking 12,500 for the car original owner. Who claims no accidents except a slight bump in traffic which therefore the oem rear bumper was repainted so he claims due to scratches scuffs. heres my ? How can i tell for sure if its an original lexus bumper im going to check the rest of the car as well as running a carfax. But is there an y #'s or anything to tell . Just curious how many on here have bough there is's knowing thing have been repainted etc. im a little hesitant but it seems nearly impossibly to find one which hasnt been painted or hit in some way . sorry to blab thanks in advance for anyhelp. Does 12,500 $ sound to low for one of these to you guys the car is in connecticut new york area ?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Buy it if it checks out. Good price! Carfax it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea i thought the same thing i hope the price isnt to low in a bad way being hopefully nothing is sketchy would it bother you that the rear bumper was repainted as long as no heavy collision it shouldnt affect me $ wise when i go to sell it someday i hope ?

·
Registered
442 Posts
its sounds like a low price, especially for the sport design. check the sticker on the driver door jamb for the transmission code, If i'm rembering correctly the LSD has a B or C in the trans code and the non lsd has an A, a real sport design will have an LSD. all the parts will have the small rectangular vin sticker, including the bumpers. otherwise i'd take it to a mechanic just to look it over, but it sounds like a good deal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok yea im going to give it a full inspection to the best of my knowledge which # is the tranny code ? how many digits are in the code ??

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't understand how you guys find these cars for such a good price. I mean last month when I checked my 2003 SD it was right around 20k in kbb and nads.

I paid 19k and I'm starting to think that I took the shaft?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No it wasnt such a good deal i saw right away front + rear bumper were repainted for no reason and the sport rims were curbed badly :pissed:

Anyways still on the search for a sd there tough to find were did others with sd's find em i found some luck with craigslist or i seem to forget the fs forums on here

·
Registered
696 Posts
I don't understand how you guys find these cars for such a good price. I mean last month when I checked my 2003 SD it was right around 20k in kbb and nads.

I paid 19k and I'm starting to think that I took the shaft?
Depends on the mileage it must be really low, regardless I'd never pay 19K for an IS. Sport Design or not.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
No it wasnt such a good deal i saw right away front + rear bumper were repainted for no reason and the sport rims were curbed badly :pissed:

Anyways still on the search for a sd there tough to find were did others with sd's find em i found some luck with craigslist or i seem to forget the fs forums on here
Even with repainted bumpers...and rashed rims.....its worth way more than $12K if that's what he's selling it for.
Its still a good deal. Pay a little money to fix the rims and I think you are all good.
I guess I don't see the problem?

For instance, I had both of my bumpers repainted. There were just too many scratches on them from being a New York City car. Looks like new. Thats all that matters.

If you are searching for a perfect IS...then you shouldn't be looking at cars with 85K on 'em.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Depends on the mileage it must be really low, regardless I'd never pay 19K for an IS. Sport Design or not.
Why not? Late model...Low mileage prestine condition IS's go for far more than that.
$19K for a good IS is not a bad deal.
You do realize that car brand new was $32K+ right?
So, what's the problem?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
YOu can get prices down if you're not afraid to ask..orrrrr LOW BALLLLL!!! just do it. Who cares. IT works

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea he would probably have taken 11,500 you think thats a good deal its in need of needing front + rear bumpers redone as well as 2 rims to be fixed . Needs a 90k service as well

·
Registered
696 Posts
Why not? Late model...Low mileage prestine condition IS's go for far more than that.
$19K for a good IS is not a bad deal.
You do realize that car brand new was $32K+ right?
So, what's the problem?
Because to me, 19K is not proportional to what the car is offering. You're basically paying for a Lexus badge and reliability. Not to mention the Sport Design's "Enhancements" are more or less irrelevant besides the LSD. Same way 2003 Civics are still going 9-10k, it's a Civic. People pay 10K for Honda reliability.

In terms of a performance point of view here, there are plenty of Low Mileage STi's around for just a bit more then 19K (Not to mention a ton of other cars). Same fuel economy, better everything else. Maybe a 330, or cough up another 4-5K and buy a damn M3. My friend got a 04 pre owned G35C off the dealers lot for 23.5K, loaded, navi, warranty, all.

Late model or not. 19K for a IS is insane to me. IMO. I payed 13K for my 03 SD. I think a lot of the IS300's are way overpriced for what they are.

IMO X500000

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Because to me, 19K is not proportional to what the car is offering. You're basically paying for a Lexus badge and reliability. Not to mention the Sport Design's "Enhancements" are more or less irrelevant besides the LSD. Same way 2003 Civics are still going 9-10k, it's a Civic. People pay 10K for Honda reliability.

In terms of a performance point of view here, there are plenty of Low Mileage STi's around for just a bit more then 19K (Not to mention a ton of other cars). Same fuel economy, better everything else. Maybe a 330, or cough up another 4-5K and buy a damn M3. My friend got a 04 pre owned G35C off the dealers lot for 23.5K, loaded, navi, warranty, all.

Late model or not. 19K for a IS is insane to me. IMO. I payed 13K for my 03 SD. I think a lot of the IS300's are way overpriced for what they are.
Well, if you are comparing IS300s vs. STi's and you are looking for a performance car...then STi is the way to go obviously. But I would never buy one. Its too....i dunno. ricer ish park bench wingish. I dunno. I just like the older stock look of an IS300 better. Sure, it doesn't go 0-60 as fast, but guess what. If I want to go 60mph, I'll get there, just a little later than an STi. The smooth engine of the IS300 and driving dynamics with a motor that runs 200,000 miles just doing regular maintance works for me. There is always the "just cough up an extra 4-5K". Why stop at M3 then when you can cough up an extra 4-5K and get something else.
I paid $14K for my SportDesign and I think it was money well spent.
I also paid $21K for my 02 IS300 almost five years ago and that was money well spent too. Since I sold it for $19K after driving it for 2+ years.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I really can't agree with you. Saying a pure bread rally car is ricey pretty much throws anything you were saying out of the window. Don't like the wing, take it off.

And we aren't comparing getting to 60 first on a daily commute to work, that makes no sense. We are talking about embarrassing a IS300 off the line, from a roll, maybe even in 6th gear who knows. Not everybody uses their car just to drive to work, some track/AutoX, etc. That's where the fork in the roads at, you're talking about a mundane daily driver. I'm talking about something that makes your commute entertaining because the IS is far from exhilarating. It does what it's intended to adequately: being a daily driver.

As for reliability, I'm not sure who plans on owning the car past or up to the 200k point but I would ditch the car and upgrade much sooner then that anyway. Same applies to the STi, maybe 3 years of ownership and it's time for something new. I've never looked at a prospective car and used "Hey the motors good for 200k" as a justification to purchase. My IS is a 1 year stop gap until I pull the trigger on something much nicer.

And there isn't always a "Cough Up.." because we are speaking relative to the values mentioned earlier. And why stop at ______, mainly because the cars I mentioned offer great bang for the buck.

Either way we share two different views on the matter and that's that. I like my cars a certain way and you prefer yours a certain way. :)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I've never looked at a prospective car and used "Hey the motors good for 200k" as a justification to purchase.
I'm planning on keeping mine until then. I wouldn't have been able to do that with many other cars on today's roads without major repairs. I guess quality was my main concern in purchasing a good car. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts