Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you all think, fouled or not fouled? This is from the front of the motor.

I haven't pulled the rest of the spark plugs yet. Looks a little beat up from running rich, but shouldn't be fouled to prevent the car from starting is my opinion.

Since Friday, I haven't been able to get her started. She just cranks and doesn't even really catch at all...not even any spudders like she even wants to start.

Maybe a fuel problem? I have the AEM EMS.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
the motor should still turnover..

i remember pulling my plugs back in the summer, looked worse then those...and it still ran with them....

definitely would think its something else....investigate further in the AEM software and look for any errors, etc..

gl

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
^^^Agreed...something else is going on.

Reactions: -SuperleX-iS-

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
do you have any ignition amplification?

supra coils or still wasted spark IS coils?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I pulled them all out. The last spark plug (back of motor) was gapped somewhere around .030 while all the others are around .026.

Since I have them all out, should I go ahead and get new plugs? There's only around 1,500 or so miles on them.
If you still have the crossover intake, I would definetly change out the plugs! It's a pain to do it. I don't use those expensive Iridiums either. In a Turbo car that is prone to fouling plugs anyway, the Iridiums are a waste. The copper plugs are fine and you'll change them out long before they get worn out anyway. You could just clean them though.

It looks like you are running rich, but it doesn't look like you've flooded. If you had, the plugs would be wet, not just black and dry. As was stated before, this is not enough to keep the motor from running.

·
Registered
960 Posts
your car should still run with those plugs. this is what mine looked like(changed them out yesterday) and it still ran, not at 100% but it still ran with these plugs

this is a way to explain what a "fouled" plug is...

Spark Plug Diagnosics

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have the HKS DLI and Supra resistor.

I just came back empty handed. I went to Autozone, NAPA, Advanced Auto, and Super Wal-Mart. None of these places have the exact NKG Iridium plug.

So, if I were to get normal plugs, I know they have to be a step or so cooler...considering I have the NKGs you see in the pics below. What would you recommend?

Order of cylinder is Front to Back in the first pic...then Back to Front in the second pic

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
No Denso's either? IK22's should work just dandy at the stock .35 gap.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have the HKS DLI and Supra transistor.

I just came back empty handed. I went to Autozone, NAPA, Advanced Auto, and Super Wal-Mart. None of these places have the exact NKG Iridium plug.

So, if I were to get normal plugs, I know they have to be a step or so cooler...considering I have the NKGs you see in the pics below. What would you recommend?

Order of cylinder is Front to Back in the first pic...then Back to Front in the second pic
Check out this site. The 6 in the model No. is the plug temp. They are one step colder than stock. I run 2 steps colder with a BKR7ES-11. Any of these is a good choice.

NGK.com - Application Search Results

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
From my experience with plugs I found it WAS better to start out with a fresh set to eliminate that being an issue. But like the /\ guys said you should have been able to run on those, when I pulled mine from a good couple months of boosting they were pitch black so fouled up...also, I had some issues that I thought to be possibly fuel, ign or plugs, or tune...it turned out to be electriocal wiring issues..due to heat or faulty wiring..its always something to think about due to the massive amount of heat that is produced under the engine. Good luck.

I used to have a few bros working at lexus and toyota dealerships they would use their discount and hook it up with some plugs...used to get the gs430 plugs the iridiums

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
i believe the plugs htekow is talking about are the 6097's or the 3330's. Try the 6097's first. You can get them at advance for like $2 ea.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i believe the plugs htekow is talking about are the 6097's or the 3330's. Try the 6097's first. You can get them at advance for like $2 ea.
Yes, those are the model numbers on the box. The parts store can probably work better with the numbers xboostx listed.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
I have the HKS DLI and Supra resistor.

yo man, hit up the lexus dealer and get some gs400 plugs, 7$ a piece but last forever.

if you are trying to start your AEM, i bet the wrong program is in it. mine was sent to me with the wrong program - wouldn't do anything, i loaded up one from another car and it started right up - now i need to tune it. the map ws for a 440cc injector and i am using a 575.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i would check to see if you are getting any spark to the plugs. either your over fueling or your not sparking any of the plugs to burn it off.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I'm an old school hot rod guy who would stick a screw driver into the spark plug wire, sit it up against a metal part, turn over the car and see if it would spark.

How do you check for spark with coils and such?
Exactly! Just pull the number one plug wire and lay it against the Oil control Valve screw. Turn the motor over while observing for spark (probably need someone to crank while you observe ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts