Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
This Audi vs. BMW argument reminds me something I just watched. It was one of those Japanese video magazines devoted to performance cars (I think "Best Motoring" Vol. 7, 2000). They had an M5, one of the AMG Mercedes, and an Audi (I forget which model but I can review the tape if anyone's interested). The professional driver drifted the M5 (it's something to see an M5 wagging its heavy tail but under total control) and the Mercedes through a series of tight corners and gave both of them his highest mark. The Audi, by contrast, just refused to drift and it got a middling rating as a result.

·
Registered
201 Posts
DJ, great posts! They were hilarious especially since you never got an answer to the question. It's a shame people who are out purchasing vehicles and trying to make points in this forum have no clue about leasing or financing but we're suppose to believe they know what they're talking about. I think I have farm land in Phoenix for sale. You think they'd buy it?

------------------

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by DJ:
Well you already have explained it to me. Thanks. And try to not use the word "God" in a sentence like that. Apparently it's of no use talking to you since you don't care what we think. But you seem to like posting here alot.

By the way, the (14,000 - 9,200) came from you. The 36,000 is NOT the cost of the BMW. You didn't get the concept of leasing, and you obviously don't get the concept of this either. Don't bother replying, I won't.

Originally posted by QuikVR6:
Down payment has to do with the low number I walked out of the dealer with. I was given a little over $14,000 for my VR6. I owed $9,200 on the car. The difference of that price is what i gave as a down. The difference of that price is why my BMW came out to $36,310

[This message has been edited by DJ (edited November 20, 2000).]
DJ, Good work. VR6 paid 36K plus 5k = 41k. I paid 32K for my IS so he paid 9K more than I.

Is that car worth 9k more? Not to me.

Actually, using VR's logic I only paid 20K for my car because the rest was a down payment

·
8,107 Posts
I got a quote for a 330i w/ Sport package, leather, CD, H&K stereo, and wood interior, for $34,600, Euro Delivery, so they can certainly be had for less than $40,000. I don't like the light steering though.

[This message has been edited by ckolsen (edited November 20, 2000).]

·
8,107 Posts
Well I for one disagree, the BMW w/ sport package, particularly M3s, are more fun cornering than the S4, I think oversteer is a lot more fun than understeer. BMWs also have a lot more road feel than the S4. I found myself driving the S4 like a freaking madman in order to have fun with it.
Don't confuse traction with handling - the S4 has more grip than the BMW, but doesn't handle as well, or at least is not as fun. That's why the old M3 beats the new S4 on the track by a small margin.

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:
young: when i said "At $43k the car is fully loaded, and can whoop the 330ci on the strip, track, street, you name it." i was takling about the s4. and if youre gonna sit there and tell me a bmw is funner to drive...u must drive like a grandpa. take an s4 around the corner..feel its handling..bmw is inferior to audi's quattro...i think most will agree with me on that.

·
8,107 Posts
Quik, are you aware that if you trade a $14,000 car, you get a state tax break on that amount? Was that part of the deal you got? What's your state tax?

Down payment has to do with the low number I walked out of the dealer with. I was given a little over $14,000 for my VR6. I owed $9,200 on the car. The difference of that price is what i gave as a down. The difference of that price is why my BMW came out to $36,310

·
8,107 Posts
Quik,
Please confirm that you paid $36,000 total, not $36,000 plus $4,800 trade. That would be way over sticker, plus if you include the state tax break you were supposed to get, which is $700 at 5%, that's a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by VBGOD:
The 330ci is about $34,990 MSRP - before you ballon the price with options. The 330Ci is the up-level coupe trim of the 3-Series. Upgrades over the 325Ci include power front seats, 17-inch alloy wheels, and a 225-horsepower engine. The IS300 is a very nice car, but the BMW is just better. You do know that, right? I know you are sick of hearing that, but it's true. The advantage of the IS300 is in it's price.

You forgot the most important part.....RELIABILITY!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'm not sure where alot of people are getting the numbers from. I just recently oredered my 2001 BMW 330ci at a final price of $36,310.

My car has/will have the following.
-Leather
-Xenon
-Sport package
-Power Glass Moonroof
-5 Speed

As for me, I personally like the styling of the BMW over most anything Japanese. Like I've said before, to me the IS300 really doesn't look like anything more than a customized Honda. The IS300 may very well be a good car. But AS FOR ME, I enjoy german engineering over Japanese.

It's too bad the good old German car makers (namely BMW and VW) have to copy the tail-lights of the IS300.......Ummmm.....What's next???

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by VBGOD:
That's right... compare 20 year old BMW's to a brand new Lexus... The IS300 has been out for under a year ( 6 months? ) and you already have realiblity ratings?
Then compare a 20 year old bimmer to a 20 year old Toyota......Still the same results!
Duh!!

[This message has been edited by dude (edited November 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well if you ask me, i've never seen either a bimmer or a lexus broken down. except for those pesky 7series, well i don't like thsoe anyways. but you always see domestics
so to me the real enemy is america
he hejk

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
lol, some people have a retarded sense of logic!

Originally posted by hurricane:
I got an IS300 for free. Just had to put 33K down
. Financial retardation... pretty sad.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Originally posted by dude:
Then compare a 20 year old bimmer to a 20 year old Toyota......Still the same results!
Duh!!

[This message has been edited by dude (edited November 20, 2000).]

dude, that's one of the best reply i have ever seen, lol.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
So according to QuikVR6, I paid a bit over $27K for my IS?
Young, you are right about AWD car is no fun most of the time because of its neutral to tight steering (sorry, NASCAR term here), that's my experience from my Eclipse. However, if you ever get a chance to drive a 911 turbo or a Skyline GTR (still praying to get a chance for the latter one in 2 months), you will know what is like to be able to kick the rear out, do a controlled 4 wheel drift, and then accelerated out like no other cars can do. Then again, those two cars have the best AWD systems in the world (and probably 2 of the best cars ever build), so I guess they should be fun to drive.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
from my personal experience...with both the M3 (E36) and S4..i prefered the s4 for its greater handling, and acceleration was just as impressive. if you guys are talking about drifting..yes that usually requires a RWD car..but if take it to autoX, etc. there would be no chance for a 330 or M3 against an s4.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The public school education in u.s. must be failing big time.

14,000-9200+36000=$41,800.

I am amazed too see that VR6 could not add.

Someone just got ripped off big time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I remember back in the 80's during the IMSA GT races that Audi was running AWD cars and they were totally destroying the competetion. So the following year AWD was banned.

I don't have any personal experience with the S4, but my AWD Eclipse's tail would break loose. It happened to me once when I unexpectedly hit boost in the middle of a turn.

The rear end broke loose and I got a bit sideways for a second or so. The AWD then kicked in and pulled the car back in line.

I personally prefer AWD but it sounds like I am in the minority.

Jeff

Originally posted by sigss:
Any of you know what Audi uses in its race cars? Yes, Rear-wheel Drive.

·
Registered
511 Posts
No chance at an autox for an M3 vs. an S4? I would say that would depend totally on the driver and that in stock form, equal drivers, the M3 would have a definite advantage (not too mention weight). Too much body roll in a stock S4 for the quick transitions you do at an autox. Again, 90% of the time the driver woudl determine which car was faster. Don't let your hatred of BMW warp your sense of reality.

------------------
S38
91 M5

41 - 60 of 87 Posts