Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read alot about the gains people have had with the stage 2 cams, and was wondering why I haven't heard too much on the stage 3 cams. I understand that new springs, retainers, and tuning is required. Since most people are tuning their stage 2 cams anyways why not get the stage 3? Is the idle really that rough? Could tuning with EMU fix that?

Thanks
Francis

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I think that the main reason is uncertainty, but also it is certain that drivability would go way down. It is a fact that people have slight idle problems with the 264s so im sure it would be made worse with 272s. I could actually just throw in 272s right now since my valve train has been beefed up. Maybe some day...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
usually stage three is used with turbo charging. i have ran many different combos of cams and from my experience 272s you lose low end but gain much more in the top end. 272s cam idle perfectly around 1000rpm (dont quote me) but if you are running the GE and and just lookin for some good power try some 264s. im currently running some 264s and got a set of JUN 272s when im ready to throw the snail back on. you can step up to stage 3 when ur ready for turbo. and yess anything higher than 264 you will need upgraded springs and retainers etc. etc. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
usually stage three is used with turbo charging. i have ran many different combos of cams and from my experience 272s you lose low end but gain much more in the top end. 272s cam idle perfectly around 1000rpm (dont quote me) but if you are running the GE and and just lookin for some good power try some 264s. im currently running some 264s and got a set of JUN 272s when im ready to throw the snail back on. you can step up to stage 3 when ur ready for turbo. and yess anything higher than 264 you will need upgraded springs and retainers etc. etc. hope this helps.
I thought 264 was better for boost :suspiciou More overlap of the 272 cams is better for NA and bad for boost since it is essentially leaking boost into the exhaust rather than retaining the boosted air in the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
thats where cam gears and how much lift you have comes into play. i didnt ,mention it cause itll prolly confuse people. some people have also ran staggered set ups.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
i want with the Stage 2 just for the fact that my stock ECU can tune my setup. That being said I have probably the most reliable setup for being NA. Maybe I will get the Stage 3 since I have the cylinder head setup but that will be further down the road when I have more mods on my car.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've read alot about the gains people have had with the stage 2 cams, and was wondering why I haven't heard too much on the stage 3 cams. I understand that new springs, retainers, and tuning is required. Since most people are tuning their stage 2 cams anyways why not get the stage 3? Is the idle really that rough? Could tuning with EMU fix that?

Thanks
Francis
dude, get 'em and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ok so I called Brian Crower INC and asked why 264 and not 272. While you can go with the 272 you will need the springs, retainers and emu (duh, knew that already) but you will also need to raise the compression of the motor if not forced induction to take full advantage of the 272. Also with the 272s you will loose street ability for day to day driving. 272 are for racing and constant High RPMs. SO IS300TTRD looks like you are currently the closest to having the right mods to your motor to test out the 272 on a NA build.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
There are a couple na supra guys that have 272s and dd their cars. I sure tons of power would be made up top but im kinda concerned with low end and the idle.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
the low end takes a serious hit with cams, cam gear and exhaust if you run 264's. for the gains that you would get from 272 it just doesn't seem worth it. you can get plenty of lope with 264 cams and full exhaust. there are times that my car's low end REALLY bogs. the car quickly rights itself but i would imagine that with greater degree like 272 it could be really lumpy, but not in a good way. more like a non-responsive gas pedal at low RPM's.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
the low end takes a serious hit with cams, cam gear and exhaust if you run 264's. for the gains that you would get from 272 it just doesn't seem worth it. you can get plenty of lope with 264 cams and full exhaust. there are times that my car's low end REALLY bogs. the car quickly rights itself but i would imagine that with greater degree like 272 it could be really lumpy, but not in a good way. more like a non-responsive gas pedal at low RPM's.
Here ladies and gentlemen is misinformation at its highest. This post is full of hearsay despite evidence to the contrary found all over this forum

No one on this forum who has 264 has lost any low-end torque, none have lost throttle response either. In fact one dyno posted right here showed a gain of low-end with a full exhaust and 264 cams

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Here ladies and gentlemen is misinformation at its highest. This post is full of hearsay despite evidence to the contrary found all over this forum

No one on this forum who has 264 has lost any low-end torque, none have lost throttle response either. In fact one dyno posted right here showed a gain of low-end with a full exhaust and 264 cams
how is it hearsay if this is my experience with these mods in my car? it may be contrary to what others have experienced but by definition it most certainly isn't hearsay. and i seriously doubt that you can account for every person in this forum, like you so clearly state, and whether or not they've been affected in the low end.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.